PDA

View Full Version : Dryer not working

mommie
10-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Ok so my dryer pop and pop a bit the turned off and was smokey.......i am so glad it didn't burst into flames and kill us,
However, I now have no dryer............
I am wondering if it triggered a breaker.......

HeLp!!!

mommie
10-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Anyone??

Calee
10-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Are you asking what might have caused the fire?

A lot of dryer fires are started by lint in the lint trap or in the tubing behind the dryer to the outside. Can you check those?

mommie
10-17-2012, 12:33 PM
No, it wont turn on at all, im wondering if i need a new dryer.
or if it could have tripped the circuit breaker and i need to redo it or something.

Drew
10-17-2012, 12:44 PM
If it was smoking then at minimum you fried a circuit board. It could also be the motor that turns the barrel. I've replaced both in my dryer but I'm a pretty mechanically inclined DIYer.

Quiteria
10-17-2012, 12:54 PM
I'd unplug it.

Iarwain
10-17-2012, 01:01 PM
I'd definitely unplug it for safety. If you can't replace or repair it right away it's probably worth picking up an inexpensive drying rack to hang your clothes on in the meantime. I have been without a working dryer for two years. In bad weather I hang our clothes on two fold-up drying racks and some clotheslines I have strung across my laundry room and turn a box fan on to help the air circulate better. It saves a lot of money.

mommie
10-17-2012, 02:05 PM
If it was smoking then at minimum you fried a circuit board. It could also be the motor that turns the barrel. I've replaced both in my dryer but I'm a pretty mechanically inclined DIYer.

A circuit board in the dryer? or in the breaker box.........
is replacing those parts cheaper then buying a new one?

mine is a front loader for stacking.........hard to find used.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

oh ya it is unplugged, unplugged it right away

knitlove
10-17-2012, 02:52 PM
if there was smoke then you fried some thing in the dryer.

you might have tripped the breaker as well but that is not the main issue.

mommie
10-17-2012, 03:09 PM
could the dryer belt had burn,

Drew
10-17-2012, 06:02 PM
A circuit board in the dryer? or in the breaker box.........
is replacing those parts cheaper then buying a new one?

mine is a front loader for stacking.........hard to find used.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

oh ya it is unplugged, unplugged it right away

Mine is a LG Tromm, so relatively pricy. I think the circuit board was like $90 and the motor was somewhere between $100 and $200. So yeah, way less than buying a new machine. If you're not sure what you're doing your best bet is to have a service person come out and rake a look at it.

could the dryer belt had burn,

Probably not.

mommie
10-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Mine is a LG Tromm, so relatively pricy. I think the circuit board was like $90 and the motor was somewhere between $100 and $200. So yeah, way less than buying a new machine. If you're not sure what you're doing your best bet is to have a service person come out and rake a look at it.

Probably not.
see at those prices i could buy a used one at the place where mine was got at, i tried to convince them to allow me the new ones because of the 10 year warranty........ ugh
I need to call me worker and let her know since technically their arent mine for another few months.

Drew
10-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Where did you get it?

mommie
10-17-2012, 06:59 PM
the person my case manager does work with got it at a appliance store. but it only had a 90 day warranty.

which of course has long expired.

dakotablue
10-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Our dryer just had the belt worn, it then caused the dryer to not turn, it not turning could cause fire...it was Dh's DIY $25 fix (new belt and bolt thingy) that saved it and it works again.

Maybe see if someone can come to repair (it would be cheaper than getting a new one:shrug3)

Maybe the place you bought it from has some kind of discounted repair dealie for customers?

ETA: my dryer is older...so no fancy circuit boards, don't know if they applies to yours.

mommie
10-19-2012, 08:11 AM
ok so im way past the warranty
A used one i was told i can get for 170 plus tax
worker is looking around to see if anyone left one in a move.
im burried in clothes lol...............need to do some clothes

knitlove
10-19-2012, 08:17 AM
can you wash and air dry the esentals?

mommie
10-19-2012, 08:30 AM
can you wash and air dry the esentals?

no choice but to for now

MommaNae
10-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Ours started smoking and it was just the plug shorting out. Which would have still caused a fire had we not noticed it immediately but it was a cheap fix. Apparently at some point our washer leaked water and it settled near the plug for the dryer.