PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep . . .

FaithHopeLove
10-14-2012, 11:18 PM
I've recently moved from a smaller townhome to a modest house. My new place has more normal options for storage such as a linen closet (woot!) and garage. Rather than creatively storing things here and there in spaces not designed for it, I have many more options now. I'd like to store things efficiently both for use and to take good care of them. I'm curious where y'all store your stuff. (Bonus points for how you organize it!)

Items I'm pondering include but are not limited to:

Spices
Medications
Supplements
Linens
Crafting Items (wow, that could be a whole thread on its own, LOL!)
Sleeping Bags
Gardening Paraphernalia
Cookbooks vs. Other Books
Seasonal Decor
Seasonal specific clothing (do you really pack up and store out of season clothes?)
Batteries
Cords, Cord, and more CORDS!
The Mysterious Pile of Unmatched Socks and Other Laundry Orphans
Extras of Toilet Paper/Paper Towels/Food Items/Cleaning Supplies
Paperwork you must hang onto but don't want to spend a lot of time handling (upsetting stuff)

If you think of anything else I'd be wise to ponder, please feel free to post!

Mother of Sons
10-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Spices
I have my spices mostly on the side of my fridge (magnet containers) and some in a drawer next to the stove.

Medications
Medicine cabinet in the bathroom and I have a clamshell box that I keep cold and flu related supplies so that it's easy to find when you get sick.

Supplements
Medicine cabinet

Linens
I don't have a linen closet :( we have one sheet per bed so we don't have to store any. Pillow cases go in a cubby bin

I have a small closet that all crafting/sewing type things have to go in. I had to pare down a lot!!

Sleeping Bags
There is a shelf above one of the closets where most camping stuff goes.

Gardening Paraphernalia
Garage

Cookbooks live on the shelf above my stove where the microwave used to be.

Seasonal Decor
In bins under my bed.

Seasonal specific clothing (do you really pack up and store out of season clothes?)
We don't pack clothes

Batteries
Clamshell box just like the cold/flu stuff

They go in labeled zip lock bags in a drawer in the tv stand. Ok that's how it is supposed to. Most of them are just shoved in the drawer.

Right now they are sharing space with the pillowcases in the cubby bin!

Under the sink in the bathroom. Except food. I have two tall skinny free standing cabinets and there is a she,f that goes across the top of them. That's where my extras go.

Paperwork you must hang onto but don't want to spend a lot of time handling (upsetting stuff)
This is the worst for me. My new system is to have them in school folders labeled and on a shelf.

FaithHopeLove
10-15-2012, 12:24 AM
Great list, MOS!

How do you like the metallic/magnet spice containers? I'm always wondering if they'd pop open and spill spices everywhere?

I don't see much mention of "garage". Do you just prefer not to stow stuff out there? I originally was thinking, "Great! Sleeping bags out of the closets, and out into the garage!" But not I'm thinking, "Oooh, spiders! Scary for sleeping bags!" :giggle

For extras on toilet paper/paper towels, I get the gigantic Costco packs so it won't fit under my cabinet. I've been putting them in the laundry room, but that's out in the garage and not convenient when you want to grab an extra pack. :think

Mother of Sons
10-15-2012, 12:37 AM
I lie the spice containers. I labeled them all and it's pretty cute. The only time I've spilled is when I forgot to twist it shut. Otherwise the kids never pop off. In my old house I put a sheet of metal inside the cabinet doors and put them in there but I like them on the fridge.

The garage is dh's shop so I don't put much out there. If you got the big ziplocks or space bags would that keep spiders out of the sleeping bags?

What if you just put 4 rolls in the bathroom and kept the rest of the pack in the laundry area?

Calee
10-15-2012, 06:00 AM
I've recently moved from a smaller townhome to a modest house. My new place has more normal options for storage such as a linen closet (woot!) and garage. Rather than creatively storing things here and there in spaces not designed for it, I have many more options now. I'd like to store things efficiently both for use and to take good care of them. I'm curious where y'all store your stuff. (Bonus points for how you organize it!)

Spices Cabinet to the direct left of my stove. Arranged in jars on a turning thing (like a lazy susan, but with two levels)
Medications A shoebox sized plastic container with lid. One in kitchen cabinet (for meds that are taken during mealtimes) and one in the Master bathroom closet. I have one labeled "Kids" and one labeled "adults"
Supplements In the same boxes as the medications
Linens In the linen closet ;) Although, I also kept a few towels/washcloths in the closets of each bathroom.
Crafting Items (wow, that could be a whole thread on its own, LOL!) In boxes in our guest bedroom closet
Sleeping Bags My kids like to sleep in their sleeping bags randomly, so I kept those in their closet.
Gardening Paraphernalia garage.
Cookbooks vs. Other Books Cookbooks-cabinet over my stove. Other books-bookshelf in Master and living room
Seasonal Decor Marked bins in the attic
Seasonal specific clothing (do you really pack up and store out of season clothes?) YES. I had some in the spare dresser in the guest room. The rest in marked bins in the attic
Batteries Same size plastic box with lid as the medications. In a cabinet above the microwave
Cords, Cord, and more CORDS! All on one shelf in the office closet
The Mysterious Pile of Unmatched Socks and Other Laundry Orphans Basket that lived in my closet
Extras of Toilet Paper/Paper Towels/Food Items/Cleaning Supplies Laundry/Utility Room
Paperwork you must hang onto but don't want to spend a lot of time handling (upsetting stuff) We have a plastic filing box with paperwork. The box stays in the office closet. Before we had an office, it was in our Master bedroom closet.

We just moved FROM a 2500 square foot home to a small 2 bedroom, so I have the reverse issue! But, I've shared where we stored these things in our old house.

ThreeKids
10-15-2012, 06:17 AM

Over the door shoe organizer with clear pockets.

mipennsn
10-15-2012, 06:28 AM
I do pack up out of season clothes. I have 2 tubs that I have labeled "adult out of season" I do leave out some summer clothes as you never know when short sleeve shirts will come in handy. Shorts get mostly packed up. In the summer my long pants, jeans stay out along with a few sweatshirts for everyone.

My kids are still pretty young so I generally do size switches at the same time. I hate doing season switches.

RiverRock
10-15-2012, 07:47 AM
I started typing a response, and then realized it was a public forum. Too much personal info was almost shared. :shifty

backtobasicsmum
10-15-2012, 08:00 AM

Spices I have one cupboard in my kitchen that is strictly spices. It's a corner cupboard, so I have a lazy susan on one shelf to help me see things better.
Medications In the spice cupboard :up on the very top shelf. I use a couple of dollar store plastic baskets to help corral things.
Supplements Same as meds
Linens I have one hallway closet (its only half height) that has one shelf of towels, one of extra toiletries, top shelf has sheets and blankets
Crafting Items (wow, that could be a whole thread on its own, LOL!) I have a spare room that it gets shoved into for right now :giggle
Sleeping Bags Some are stored under my oldest boy's bunk beds, the remainder are behind my dd's amoire that sits kitty-corner in her bedroom, creating a pocket of space.
Gardening Paraphernalia In the garage or in one cubby hole under the stairs.
Cookbooks vs. Other Books One cupboard in my kitchen
Seasonal Decor In rubbermaid type bins in the basement.
Seasonal specific clothing (do you really pack up and store out of season clothes?) Yes, I do for sure pack up seasonal clothing. Shorts, short-sleeved shirts, sandals etc all get packed away right about this time of year. Out come the long sleeve shirts, sweaters and winter gear. I have lots of BIG rubbermaid type bins in the basement as well. Usually at season change times, I also sort though who has out grown what. I save almost all of our clothing, to pass down to other kiddos, so I do have lots of things stored.
Batteries In the "junk" drawer in the kitchen
Cords, Cord, and more CORDS! About the only extra cords I can think of are for the cell phones, and they go in a little basket on top of the fridge. Also, a few extra extention cords go in a tool box in the basement
The Mysterious Pile of Unmatched Socks and Other Laundry Orphans Garbage :shifty
Extras of Toilet Paper/Paper Towels/Food Items/Cleaning Supplies I have lots of shelves in my laundry room (just off the kitchen) where all my food related stock up items go. Extra toilet paper and paper towels go in a random hall closet that also has our folding chairs, cloth grocery bags and kleenex boxes.
Paperwork you must hang onto but don't want to spend a lot of time handling (upsetting stuff) File folder boxes in the basement

:)

JenLovie
10-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Spices
Kitchen cabinet doors and the extras in th same cabinet

Medications
Master bathroom and linen closet. Kid stuff is in the kid cabinet in the kitchen.

Supplements
Kitchen spice cabinet for morning supplements and master bathroom for night supplements.

Linens
Linen closet or the shelf of the closet in the bedroom (for the sheets that go on that bed)

Crafting Items
I have a sewing room. Works in progress may be in the living room.

Sleeping Bags
Extra bedroom closet

Gardening Paraphernalia
Garage

We have a corner cabinet that we bought for cookbooks. Other books are in extra room closet until DH makes a bookshelf.

Seasonal Decor
We just have Christmas decor and it's in bins in the closet under the stairs.

Seasonal specific clothing
Hanging in the closet with the other clothes. I don't pack them up, I just rotate them in my closet.

Batteries
The freezer

The garage

In the closet where hey would normally go in hopes of finding the match.

Toilet paper-linen closet, paper towels and cleaning supplies-laundry room and under kitchen sink, food items-pantry

Paperwork you must hang onto but don't want to spend a lot of time handling
The office. Theoretically the papers would be filed, but that's not my reality.

My office and sewing room are both mute messes. I need to redo my "system" because it clearly isn't working.

librarianjojo
10-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Spices - I have mine corralled in a wire basket in my pantry. I've also seen people keep them in a drawer next to the stove. Most experts advise against keeping them out in the open on a spice rack because they will deteriorate and go rancid more quickly.

Medications - In the medicene cabinet next to the sink I have the commonly used ones: Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Benedryl, Band-Aids, and Antibacterial ointment. I keep the rarely used cold meds, medical tape, thermometer, etc. in a plastic bin in the linen closet in my bathroom.

Supplements - We keep these in the top shelf of our pantry, which was too small for anything else.

Linens - Towels, etc. go in the linen closet in the bathroom. Sheets are stored in the closet of the room with the bed they go with. So you would store sheets for your bed in the master closet or a drawer in the nightstand. Guest sheets are in the living room, ready to make up the couch.

Cookbooks vs. Other Books - Cookbooks are in the same bookshelf as the rest of my books. But I have a small book collection (weird for a librarian) and the bookshelf is accessible to the kitchen.

Seasonal Decor - What little I have I keep in a plastic storage bin in my closet.

Seasonal specific clothing (do you really pack up and store out of season clothes?) - I don't. I live in a fairly temperate climate, which means that I can basically use the same clothes year round, just add a jacket and scarf.

Batteries - My TV stand is actually a dresser. We keep batteries, cords, etc. in one of the drawers.

Cords, Cord, and more CORDS! (see above)

Extras of Toilet Paper/Paper Towels/Food Items/Cleaning Supplies - Unmatched socks get 1 week to find a match before being relegated to the rag bin. :shifty Extra toiletries go in a bin under the sink in our bathroom. Extra TP and paper towels go in the linen closet in our bathroom. Also all cleaning supplies are in the linen closet of the bathroom. (This most excellent linen closeted can be photographed if you like :)) And misc laundry stuff goes on the shelf above the washer. Extra food items go in my pantry.

Paperwork you must hang onto but don't want to spend a lot of time handling (upsetting stuff) - I have a plastic file bin that I keep on a shelf in the master closet. We go through about once a year to purge and all of our documents fit. Big things like SS cards, birth certificates, etc. go in a firesafe.

If you think of anything else I'd be wise to ponder, please feel free to post! - Where are you going to keep your vacuum and brooms?

I've edited in my suggestions to your OP. Good luck!

milkmommy
10-18-2012, 01:20 PM
We have okay space here but not a ton better than when we were in an apartment for sure though..

Spices
spice rack on counter

Medications
refrigrator door for my insulin(like where butter cheese would likely normally be) medicine cabinets for other stuff bedside drawer for testing kits ect.

Supplements
don't really use but medicine cabinets as well

Linens
hall linen closet top half is towels sheets we also have a small cabinet in the master with extra towels sheets for that bath.

storage bins in corner of office and "schooling" space in living room we deffiently need better in this area

Sleeping Bags
DHs closet but we only own one

Gardening Paraphernalia
garrage/ and in outdoor storage bins

office bookshelfs

Seasonal Decor
garrage

closets but we really only do summer/spring then add a jacket and a few long pants shirts for cold

Batteries
"junk" drawer in kitchen

they are all being used..

stuffed in drawers and ignored

shelf in laundry room food in two large cabinets in kitchen

scattered all over the office lost when we need it.. :shifty

Deanna

amydawn
10-18-2012, 01:34 PM
A lot of what you listed is in the master closet. It is of a ridiculous size. Like I could put the bunk bed in there...that's how big it is. Our clothes probably take up 5% of the space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twoplustwo
10-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Spices - in the cabinet above the counter to the right of the oven. I have one of the steps for spices & they are arranged alphabetically. Bigger ones & salt go to the left of the stairs.

Medications - I have a kids bin and an adults bin. Both bins are in a kitchen cabinet above the counter to the right of the sink. I used to have them on an upper shelf in the upstairs linen closet but during a recent re-organization they got moved.

Supplements - same shelves as medications.

Linens - Master bedroom linens go in the linen closet upstairs- they share a shelf with the towels, wash clothes and spare toilet paper (its a big closet). Kids sheets - their beds have drawers under them & one drawers is for their spare linens.

Crafting Items (wow, that could be a whole thread on its own, LOL!) - I don;t craft. The kids have a craft area that is above a desk in the play room. This room has one wall that is floor to ceiling shelves that go along 1 wall. But since they are older - having them "up" is kind of a pain and I plan to reorganize the play room soon & move their stuff so its more accessible.

Sleeping Bags - We have an under the stairs closet (ala Harry Potter). All our camping gear as well as sleeping bags are there.

Gardening Paraphernalia - A mix between the garage & the shed.

Cookbooks vs. Other Books - Cookbooks are in smaller cabinet to the left of the sink by the back door. Kids books are in their rooms ont heir headboard or on shelves in the playroom. (library books on my nightstand). A few of my books on shelf in the master bedroom. The remainder of our adult books are on the top shelf in the under the stairs closet.

Seasonal Decor - bins either up in the loft above the garage or in closet of the guest bedroom. Christmas & Halloween are in the loft. Easter is in the guest bedroom closet. And Christmas wrapping paper. And seasonal books are in that closet too. Its kind of a mix depending on the type of material it is.

Seasonal specific clothing (do you really pack up and store out of season clothes?) - Guest bedroom. We have a full set of furniture in there - so in that dresser or closet for the adult clothes. Clothes the kids have YET to wear are in bins with the size labeled in the guest bedroom (like the ones I get on clearance at the end of the season or a really great but a little too big find at Goodwill). Kids clothes that they HAVE worn (so their current) size but are out of season go in drawers in their room (they have 3 under the bed plus a dresser).

Batteries - In a bin on a shelf in the laundry room.

Cords, Cord, and more CORDS! - Dh has a box of them on a shelf in the garage.

The Mysterious Pile of Unmatched Socks and Other Laundry Orphans - Since my kids wear mismatched socks sometimes - they just go back in their drawers. Occasionally I do the chunk any mismatched socks when I reorganize those drawers. I am not sure I have other laundry orphans.

Extras of Toilet Paper/Paper Towels/Food Items/Cleaning Supplies - TP - mentioned with the linens - in that closet. We don't use paper towels (cloth only). Occasionally I get a roll for some reason or my mom leaves one when she visits (can't stand they we don't use disposable & she brings her own). Bottom shelf of a kitchen cabinet. Food items. Pantry has most. I also have an "overflow" shelf in an upper kitchen cabinet to fit all the food that I buy tons of cuz its on sale and then move to the pantry as supplies run out. Cleaning supplies - the ones I use when I clean are in a bin on the shelf in the laundry room. Extras - like special ones or maybe I bought 8 toilet bowl cleaners because they were on sale - on the top shelf above that bin. Then when I clean I just grab the bin and some rags. And the rags are in a milk crate also on a shelf in the laundry room.

Paperwork you must hang onto but don't want to spend a lot of time handling (upsetting stuff) - My desk has 3 open bin things. One is paperwork I need to do something with. One is misc stuff (right now it just has a park district catalog in it and a few extra filing folders). One is coupons (like big ones or restaurant ones or those mailers that I dont open but once in awhile someone says - oh get the coupon in the magazine for the bounce place & lets go - so I dont want to throw it away) and sale ads for the grocery stores for the week. The top one is kids homework & ongoing paperwork. So I guess maybe the bottom one or maybe Id get another bin just dedicated to that & stack it up.

Whew!

FaithHopeLove
10-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Great responses, all, thanks!

BTW, when I mean extras of toilet paper, etc., I mean as in Costco size packs, not just a few rolls.

My new kitchen has really poorly arranged storage, and not enough of it. I'm trying to figure out alternative storage systems (Hang some shelves maybe? Something from IKEA?) as well as what can safely go in the garage. I don't want to attract rodents or insects by storing food out there, for instance. My interior pantry is very small and none of my kitchen cupboards are appropriate for food storage.

Sort of the same issue with sleeping bags and out of season clothes -- I had been excited to store them in the garage, but I don't want them getting yucky or having spiders in them or something.

I can't wait to get this all done and settled though! :yes

JenLovie
10-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Could you get space bags or big ziplock bags for the sleeping bags? Rubbermaid containers seem to let stuff in so I don't think they're the best for garages.

librarianjojo
10-20-2012, 09:01 AM
I've mentioned this somewhere on here before, but I once saw a blog about a family with 12 children who lived in less than 2000 sq. ft. They stored out of season clothing in water/bug proof bins in the crawl space of their house. They actually got down in there and built shelving, laid down moisture barriers, etc. I can't find it to save my life now, but I know I saw it. Maybe an idea if you have a house with a crawlspace instead of a slab.

FaithHopeLove
10-20-2012, 04:00 PM
I've mentioned this somewhere on here before, but I once saw a blog about a family with 12 children who lived in less than 2000 sq. ft. They stored out of season clothing in water/bug proof bins in the crawl space of their house. They actually got down in there and built shelving, laid down moisture barriers, etc. I can't find it to save my life now, but I know I saw it. Maybe an idea if you have a house with a crawlspace instead of a slab.

I DO have a crawlspace . . . BUT I AIN'T GOING DOWN THERE!!!!!!!
:no :td :wow :shiver :paranoid :no3

Nu-uh! No way howdy! (You got FHL to use "ain't" and "no way howdy" in one response! :haha I never talk like that! :giggle)

I mean, that's amazing they can manage that but, um, er, no thank you. :heart:heart:heart

I think I have enough room with just the two of us here, it's more that the spaces and places, some of them anyway, are kind of different. And in my old place, it was that it was much smaller and didn't have most of the usual places to store things so I got used to storing them in other places where they wouldn't normally go. So I was just curious about where others found it handy, practical, clean, and all of that to store their stuff. Might save me some trial and error.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Could you get space bags or big ziplock bags for the sleeping bags? Rubbermaid containers seem to let stuff in so I don't think they're the best for garages.

I do love me some giant ziplocks . . . although I am trying to use less plastic everywhere in my home. I was thinking the same thing about the Rubbermaid containers as well as that cloth seems to smell like plastic when it comes out. Right now my sleeping bags are rolled up and in their original boxes.

librarianjojo
10-20-2012, 04:20 PM
I DO have a crawlspace . . . BUT I AIN'T GOING DOWN THERE!!!!!!!
:no :td :wow :shiver :paranoid :no3

Nu-uh! No way howdy! (You got FHL to use "ain't" and "no way howdy" in one response! :haha I never talk like that! :giggle)

I mean, that's amazing they can manage that but, um, er, no thank you. :heart:heart:heart

I think I have enough room with just the two of us here, it's more that the spaces and places, some of them anyway, are kind of different. And in my old place, it was that it was much smaller and didn't have most of the usual places to store things so I got used to storing them in other places where they wouldn't normally go. So I was just curious about where others found it handy, practical, clean, and all of that to store their stuff. Might save me some trial and error.

Tell me how you really feel! :lol I wouldn't go in my parent's crawlspace either. Bugs. Lots. Of. Bugs.

gerberadaisy
10-20-2012, 06:56 PM

Spices- I have a cupboard next to the stove on both sides for most spices and then I have a little hide away pull out for the little jars that fit there
Medications- prescriptions mostly go in a drawer in our china cupboard. Other first aid supplies go in medicine cabinets in bathroom...btw, check the mirror in your place. It took me two years to realize the mirror opened and there was space behind it! airborne, advil, etc goes in another cupboard in the kitchen
Supplements - in a kitchen cabinet
Linens - we have a linen closet in the hall. Extra linens get shrunk & put in closets where there's room or the room they belong in
Crafting Items (wow, that could be a whole thread on its own, LOL!)- these get put in bins in the basement except the projects I'm actively working on and are stored in the basement
Sleeping Bags- in the entry closet. This closet is very deep. Hubby stores his in the space under the stairs in the basement
Gardening Paraphernalia- garage & shed
Cookbooks vs. Other Books- cookbooks are on the shelf in the china cabinet and in the bookshelf space in the kitchen
Seasonal Decor- bins in basement
Seasonal specific clothing (do you really pack up and store out of season clothes?)- bins in basement
Batteries- a drawer in our dresser
Cords, Cord, and more CORDS! - I just recently started using a label maker to label our cords. They get stored where ever
The Mysterious Pile of Unmatched Socks and Other Laundry Orphans- for socks I have a lingerie bag for them. Hubby puts them in a box near the washer/dryer
Extras of Toilet Paper/Paper Towels/Food Items/Cleaning SuppliesWe have shelves in the basement for these things
Paperwork you must hang onto but don't want to spend a lot of time handling (upsetting stuff)in the office, filing cabinets

hope that helps