PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning inside toilet tank

AngelaVA
10-12-2012, 05:18 AM
Every time we flush there is a blackish sediment that appears in the bottom of our toilet, I think it is coming from the toilet tank. Is there a way I can clean it? Is there away I can clean it with a minimum amount of touching it :shifty ?

MomtoJGJ
10-12-2012, 05:20 AM
We occasionally have black stuff come out of the sides of the toilet where the water comes in... it's not actually in the tank (which is clean water btw) but some sort of something in those little pipe things the water comes out of (yeah, might just be holes I have no idea really)

If I wipe around under the rim at least 2-3 times a week we do not have that trouble at all. Just take a damp rag and wipe under the rim.

AngelaVA
10-12-2012, 05:24 AM
I am cleaning it multiple times a day including under the rim and it just keeps coming back every time we flush.

MomtoJGJ
10-12-2012, 05:25 AM
hmm... no idea then, haha...

3boysforme
10-12-2012, 05:29 AM
I used a scrub brush and bleach to clean mine. It was really gross. I put bleach tablets in it now and don't have that problem anymore. :shrug

AngelaVA
10-12-2012, 05:30 AM
I used a scrub brush and bleach to clean mine. It was really gross. I put bleach tablets in it now and don't have that problem anymore. :shrug

Is there a way to drain the water out of it in order to do that? I know how to shut the water supply to the toilet off but IDK how to get the water out of the tank.

GraemesMomma
10-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Could it be a rubber ring disintegrating from the tank? :think

knitlove
10-12-2012, 05:36 AM
Is there a way to drain the water out of it in order to do that? I know how to shut the water supply to the toilet off but IDK how to get the water out of the tank.

once you turnoff the water, if you then flush it there will be hardly any water left in the tank.

AngelaVA
10-12-2012, 05:37 AM

Maybe, it's the right color to be something like that.

3boysforme
10-12-2012, 05:52 AM
once you turnoff the water, if you then flush it there will be hardly any water left in the tank.

Yea that is what I did. I cleaned the tank and then filled it back up to flush everything out. I had to do that process 3 or 4 times because my tank was really bad. I never knew you were supposed to clean the tank too! :bag

Naked Camper
10-12-2012, 06:15 AM
You're supposed to clean in the tank too :scratch

MomtoJGJ
10-12-2012, 06:16 AM
You're supposed to clean in the tank too :scratch

I never have...

knitlove
10-12-2012, 06:38 AM
the only time I have cleaned it was when we were replacing the discengrating flapper.

3boysforme
10-12-2012, 06:48 AM
I wonder if it depends on your water? I have never had to clean a tank until I moved into this house, but we have well water here and I have always had city water before.

Naked Camper
10-12-2012, 07:35 AM
That would seem to make a difference :yes

Teacher Mom
10-16-2012, 08:39 AM
I have well water. I have never cleaned the tank, but it is NASTY looking the few times I have looked in there. But I did't think to clean it :think Probably BECAUSE it is sooooooooooooooooo nasty.

I am thinking I will bleach it today and buy those bleach tablets this Friday (shopping day)

Thanks for the helpful hint!!!!

librarianjojo
10-18-2012, 01:00 PM

Yep. It sounds like your flapper needs to be replaced, which is a fairly easy job. Is your toilet running at all?

AngelaVA
10-18-2012, 01:13 PM
No it's working fine.

librarianjojo
10-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Get in there and run your finger over the flapper. (It IS clean water, so don't get grossed out. I do most of the plumbing stuff at our place. You will live to see another day. :smile) If you get black smudges, that's what it is. Are you on well water or do you have hard water? That could be the cause of sediment buildup.

AngelaVA
10-18-2012, 01:15 PM
We don't have well water but it is slightly on the hard side.

librarianjojo
10-18-2012, 03:08 PM
It could be that you have some sediment deposits in your pipes and the only time you're seeing it is when it gets a chance to settle in the toilet bowl. :shrug3 You might need to consult a plumber to see if it could harm your pipes or toilet.