PDA

View Full Version : Do I really NEED a dining room table?

Tandem mama
10-02-2012, 01:03 PM
We never eat at it because it is covered with stuff all the time. We only have four chairs so when people come over we eat in the living room anyway. Our dining room is tiny. I'm thinking of getting rid of it and putting shelving in to organize the crap that's always on top.

Thoughts?

EnglishRose
10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Personally,i couldn't live without my dining room table. I think it's incredibly important for our family to eat sat together as a unit (sharing our lives, giving thanks, 'being family'), i also find it helpful to be at a table, it forces me to slow down and eat more deliberately, aware of what i'm eating and chewing my food more. Finally, my daughter and i can get stomach ache if we eat slumped on the sofa :shrug3

Hmmm, trying to think of a storage solution that would allow you to still use your table, but i'm failing, someone should invent something...:scratch

Where do you eat at the moment? What are meal times like?

Tandem mama
10-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Lately, because dh is gone a lot and we are both exhausted with the change in routine, we eat in front of the tv :bag

We have a folding table, we could get some chairs for it. I could make a point to use it at meal times. :think

knitlove
10-02-2012, 01:30 PM
if you don't use it then I say no you don't need it. We do family meals together, and have always eaten together at our table, but I dont' think that is the only way to do things.

would you miss it in the future if you got rid of it now?

Tandem mama
10-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Probably not. We use it sometimes, but if we add family members, we can't use it-it only seats four and our dining room can't hold a larger one. Plus we have the folding table we can use in the living room. We eat together, but the girls are so hard to get to sleep and dh is gone so much, this is the only time we can spend together and sunshine only stops talking (very loudly at that) if the tv is on. So letting her watch tv allows dh and I time together. It isn't ideal but it's our only way of getting to talk. Dh gets to talk with her during bath and dinner prep, which he does-with her help. So everyone gets time with dh this way. It's what's working right now

knitlove
10-02-2012, 01:37 PM
It sounds to me like you have a system that works for you, I say ditch the table. If you are in a situation where you need one latter you can pick one up.

Tandem mama
10-02-2012, 01:40 PM
This is our dining room (excuse the mess)

One issue we have is no linen closet, pantry, or coat closet. Our storage is three bedroom closets.

Homeschool and craft stuff is in the dining room. There IS stuff under the table but i could store up more if it wasn't there.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e180/lydsmama/3933C988-B841-492C-BC8B-E6E91B15A52B-577-0000006AD7D8FFCB.jpg

The architecture of the house makes a bigger table unrealistic. It blocks the way to the laundry room :doh

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e180/lydsmama/9AA028CD-482F-4E86-846A-BE685B32F91F-577-0000006AC29E4596.jpg

Niphredil
10-02-2012, 01:43 PM
We didn't have any table for a long time. Do you have a kitchen table? I think two eating areas are highly over rated. If it collects clutter and you don't use it, why keep it? :shrug3

Starfox
10-02-2012, 01:46 PM
If all the stuff was gone from against the walls, you could center a bigger table in front of the door, just pulled away to let people through. I'm guessing that was how it was intended.

If you guys don't need the table, I'd totally put shelving up on both walls (where the table is and the opposite wall) and get things up and away. Maybe even a wardrobe or something with doors.

ValiantJoy07
10-02-2012, 01:56 PM
:think we use our table for everything...it is also often covered in everything. :think

I would keep it but rethink seats

Some thing *like* 2 of these : http://www.amazon.com/Coaster-Storage-Bench-Baskets-Cushions/dp/B000S1O93A/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1349211070&sr=8-9&keywords=dining+table+w+storage+bench
That wouldst hide under neath the table and could seat up to 6 (if ya squish)...

And also 1 tall thin pantry cabinet to store all the homeschooling and craft stuff.

We made a "we eat at the table" rule recently...we always kind if ate by the Tv...I never thought that would change :shifty -I didn't want meal times to be a battle. Turns out, my kids hit ages where it works better...they eat more efficiently and they enjoy getting to visit with us (and the crumb control /choking hazards stay in one area).

Life can change a lot in 6mos...if you decide to ditch it- is there some where you can strew it for a while?

Niphredil
10-02-2012, 01:57 PM
OK, so that is what happens when I open a bunch of tabs. :doh

ANYWAY, I think that the table isn't the problem it's all the other stuff. :hiding I'd ruthlessly toss the room, then reevaluate. You could get a lot more storage on those shelves with bins.

I think you should toss, reorganize, then decide.

Tandem mama
10-02-2012, 02:01 PM
This is our only eating area, but we have that folding table I mentioned.

The stuff against the wall has no other place to go. It's the girls' desk. It's hard to tell because it's a mess right now. And the hutch with all our stuff. Every room in our hose has TOO MUCH STUFF! Lol. Seriously, though. We live in a 1100 sq ft house. We have, in our bedroom, a twin bed, a king bed, a fireplace, a dresser, a shelf, two plastic drawer thingers, a desk, a short little tv stand, and a folding chair. (for the desk) oh and a filing cabinet. Make that three plastic drawer thingers.

In another bedroom is a slide, a trampoline, and a balance beam. All necessary for cuppycake.

In the third bedroom is a rose petal cottage, an unused toddler bed (tried o get rid of it and dd protested), a shelfy thing, a small toybox, a vanity, another small toybox, a doll bed, and two ride on toys. I do plan on downsizing in here soon.

The living room has two ottomans, a chest, three shelves, an entertainment center, a small bookcase, two chairs, a couch, and a rocking cow. Oh and a cube toy thingy.

As you can see, too much furniture!!!! I can't move the desk or hutch

ValiantJoy07
10-02-2012, 02:02 PM

ANYWAY, I think that the table isn't the problem it's all the other stuff. :hiding I'd ruthlessly toss the room, then reevaluate. You could get a lot more storage on those shelves with bins.

I was thinking that too. :yes be ruthless...make sure the kids are asleep :shifty

Tandem mama
10-02-2012, 02:05 PM
:think we use our table for everything...it is also often covered in everything. :think

I would keep it but rethink seats

Some thing *like* 2 of these : http://www.amazon.com/Coaster-Storage-Bench-Baskets-Cushions/dp/B000S1O93A/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1349211070&sr=8-9&keywords=dining+table+w+storage+bench
That wouldst hide under neath the table and could seat up to 6 (if ya squish)...

And also 1 tall thin pantry cabinet to store all the homeschooling and craft stuff.

We made a "we eat at the table" rule recently...we always kind if ate by the Tv...I never thought that would change :shifty -I didn't want meal times to be a battle. Turns out, my kids hit ages where it works better...they eat more efficiently and they enjoy getting to visit with us (and the crumb control /choking hazards stay in one area).

Life can change a lot in 6mos...if you decide to ditch it- is there some where you can strew it for a while?
Our table is very tall-comes to my boobs about, and the chairs are uncomfy. That's why we don't use it. Benches like that wouldn't work Ecauss the table would be over our heads :haha I get a backache from the table because I am squeezed in a corner with no actual room for my Legs and I end up sitting on them and then they go numb. It's awful.

Also "getting rid of it" means putting it back in the inlaws garage since that is where we procured it from. ;)

:jawdrop that's our *craft stuff* :no that's one thing I just can't pare down more than we have! Ok maybe..let me practice with my other stuff.

Niphredil
10-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Don't move anything. This is what I want you to do.

1. Put on some tunes and go clean your fav space. Spend five minutes making it cosy and good smelling. Don't forget to rock out. Get pumped.
2. Grab a trash sack and two boxes.
3. Mentally label one box as get rid of and one box as stuff that doesn't belong in this room.
4. GO CRAZY on the top two shelves. BE RUTHLESS. Empty the suckers. Pretties can be put back later. You need SPACE.
5. Come back so we can cheer for you. :cheer

Tandem mama
10-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Ugh I have to leave right now :( I DID do that I'm my living room yesterday :) I am going to hit the girls' playroom (with the most stuff) tonight. I'm having them each choosev5 things to give to goodwill. Then when they're asleep, I'm getting ruthless

expatmom
10-02-2012, 05:53 PM
I think eating together as a family without extra distraction is essential to family health, especially as kids get older. In our family, a gathering place to eat and spend time together is essential.

Tandem mama
10-02-2012, 05:56 PM
:shrug we do other things together. Honestly, and maybe this makes me an awful mom, I'm sort of over talking to my four year old by dinner. I want to talk to dh. We all chat as a family while he and the four year old cook. She never stops talking and I need a break for adult conversation. I talk to her for over ten hours a day.

Rabbit
10-02-2012, 06:02 PM
She's not going to be four for much longer. In 6 months to 2 years, you're gonna need to be eating together at a table.

Tandem mama
10-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I totally understand that. But we will be unable to use the table we have currently or any other due to the structure of that room (I promise even with nothing on the sides a table does NOT fit there with easy/good access to the laundry room. Especially a table that sits more than four. We plan on having another in the not too distant future. At which point the folding table will have to be used-set up in the living room for meals and taken down after-which is what I've said is my solution to the need for a table, should it arise in the future, several times. Currently our four year old monopolizes the conversation at dinner and i never get to talk to dh. This current solution is the only way I get conversation with him and it is working. This current solution isn't using the dining room table. Once we add to our family we CAN'T use it because it won't fit anymore people

knitlove
10-02-2012, 06:11 PM
I say ditch the table, especially when it is just going to a family members house. If/ when you decide that you need to eat together find a solution to that problem at that time be it 6 months or 6 years.

Niphredil
10-02-2012, 06:34 PM
It sounds like you really don't want the table. :shrug3 If that's it, you don't need permission. Just toss it. You can get another later.

Marsha
10-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I'd get rid of it. I never seemed to eat at the same time as my girls, and was often cooking another meal as they were eating so xh and I could eat. then they'd play outside. It worked REALLY well, they were eating while I was cooking, so we were together....I didn't have to try to cater meals to their tastes or give them snacks to hold them over till a late dinner.

HOWEVER, I'd declutter, do shelves, other stuff first. For me, I like a place to sit and chat with my coffee or somethig, a small table. And FWIW, also, that stule of table is uncomfortable and uninviting, if it was a different table, would yall feel differently about sitting there and using it?

WI Mama05
10-02-2012, 06:56 PM
We will be getting rid of ours when we move here soon. A nice big real wood one we bought to be an heirloom of sorts for our kids. Change of plans! There is no dining room area in the new house and the living room will double as computer/school instead of living/dining room. The kitchen it too small for a table; we plan on putting up counter on the empty wall for the girls to sit at with stools :shrug with shelving above it for storage.

Essential meals as a family at a dining room table :shrug doesn't work for us. It's not something we do NOW when we have the thing (we end up eating together in the living room :bag) but we do what works for *us* and I think you should do what works for you :hugheart

For *us* it's more important to have the house with a yard our family needs than a dining room table. :shrug We are completely comfortable selling our table for next to nothing when we paid $$$ for it. It's what's best for *our* family.

Tandem mama
10-02-2012, 07:04 PM
I'd get rid of it. I never seemed to eat at the same time as my girls, and was often cooking another meal as they were eating so xh and I could eat. then they'd play outside. It worked REALLY well, they were eating while I was cooking, so we were together....I didn't have to try to cater meals to their tastes or give them snacks to hold them over till a late dinner.

HOWEVER, I'd declutter, do shelves, other stuff first. For me, I like a place to sit and chat with my coffee or somethig, a small table. And FWIW, also, that stule of table is uncomfortable and uninviting, if it was a different table, would yall feel differently about sitting there and using it?

Probably. Almost definitely. I hate this table. It hurts my back so bad to sit at it. It's not conducive to conversation at all. :shrug its likely just the table itself, really. But another wouldn't fit in our dining room. And if we do end up NEEDING a table, we have the folding table that's easy to set up/take down in the livig room.

librarianjojo
10-02-2012, 08:23 PM
If it isn't working for you and your life right now...CHUCK THE D*MN THING! You could use that space for storage, a home office, a yoga studio, a craft area, a huge Mormon-style pantry, or whatever the heck you want. It is your house and your furniture. If you get rid of it and miss it in a couple years, I can promise you that you can find a cheap replacement on Craigslist. There is no impending table shortage. I can promise. And if there IS a table shortage and I gave you bad advice...you can have mine! You are used to doing things your own way by now (I think a requirement of this message board is being "that" person to somebody you know. :rolleyes). Who cares if the blueprint and real estate listing says it's a dining room? There's no RULE that you have to put a table in it and eat in there. The furniture police aren't about to show up and arrest you for improper dinner seating.

Clear out that space! Do it! It isn't working for your family! I just saw your awesome living room thread. You rock on with your decluttering self. :rockon

OR...now that I just saw it leads to your laundry room? FAMILY CLOSET. Think about it. You could have all of your clothing and linens in that room. It would be right next to your washer/dryer (droool). AND you could still have room for a good amount of storage if you got the right shelving up. You could do mostly shelving with a little bit of rack hanging space. If you don't have a door on that room, you could put up a really pretty curtain to block it from view. Think of the storage room that would free up in the bedroom closets. http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2010/08/a-tour-of-our-family-closet.html

Tandem mama
10-02-2012, 09:05 PM
:giggle and OOOH family closet is a GOOD idea! I wonder if I could find something at goodwill that I could use to convert to a family closet! I'm working on weeding out unnecessary clothes, so we should have the space!

Chickadee&Me
10-03-2012, 04:37 PM
We didn't have a dining room table for a long time. Since DD was born actually and she just turned four and we just got one.
We would eat at TV trays in the living room with the TV off (most of the time)
I get what you're saying about your 4 year old. I'm with her all day everyday and DH gets up with her and then comes home from work and plays with her. We also spend time together on weekends, etc.
Sitting at the table is really nice but we haven't done it in the past and it's not really that different than sitting at the TV trays with the TV off.
Anyway, it's doable.
As a side note, I really need to get ruthless with our stuff too.

Tandem mama
10-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I totally used this thread to process ;) the more posts it got the more i realized I just don't want the table lol

LilacPhoenix
10-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Don't feel guilty for not having a table:no We're in very tight quarters and have one in storage but aren't bringing it here. That space is more useful to us for other things. We have no lack of family time, and it works for us:shrug

Katigre
10-03-2012, 05:54 PM
My dining room table used to be covered in junk/dirty dishes and difficult to utilize. When I got committed to cleaning more regularly once DD turned 2 then it became much more useful

Do you have somewhere else to eat at? People who have a kitchen nook don't always need a dining room table. But if your choice is just couches then I would keep the table and put storage elsewhere.