PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your drip pans clean?

kiloyd
09-30-2012, 06:19 PM
For those that have electric stoves with drip pans, how do you keep them clean?

I hate having foil on them, it looks so tacky, but I was tired of scrubbing them every week or so. Apparently I spill stuff more than I think. And I thought they were cheap to replace, but not that cheap.

MarynMunchkins
09-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Wash them more often. :duck

I have a flat top stove now, but when I had drip pans, I washed them 2-3 days a week. :shrug

kiloyd
09-30-2012, 06:26 PM
2-3 days a week??!! I'll take my tacky foil.

kiloyd
10-01-2012, 01:51 PM
bump

Iarwain
10-01-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get disposable foil ones that are slightly less tacky looking than just lining them with foil off a roll. My stove is gas but I still have drip pans. I just let them be ugly and choose not to worry about it.

mystweaver
10-01-2012, 02:25 PM
I keep clean pretty pans on them and then replace them when I get sick of them. :shifty

MomtoJGJ
10-01-2012, 05:46 PM
I keep them clean, but that doesn't mean they sparkle like new. About once a quarter (yes, that infrequently) I'll throw them in the dishwasher.

If I cared about my stove at all, then I"d probably throw them in the dishwasher once a week.

kiloyd
10-01-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get disposable foil ones that are slightly less tacky looking than just lining them with foil off a roll. My stove is gas but I still have drip pans. I just let them be ugly and choose not to worry about it.

I'll have to look into that.

I had a gas stove for a few years and it was easier to clean. It was black too, that was nice!

I didn't think we spilled that much, but apparently we do, or I do, since I do all the cooking. Maybe I'll take the foil off and clean them once a month and buy new ones once a year.

brown eyed girl
10-01-2012, 06:53 PM
My mother taught me this trick eons ago. Spray with diluted ammonia, leave them in a plastic grocery sack tied overnight, the next morning just rinse them clean. Do it with the oven racks too. I figured out that the "Awesome!" cleaner in the Dollar Tree is just ammonia and a little baking soda. I dilute it, spray, leave a few minutes, then wipe. Works wonderfully on most everything.

hopeforchange
10-01-2012, 06:55 PM
When I used to care, I used aluminum foil...it's what my mom did growing up so it doesn't strike me as tacky. :giggle Otherwise, I just replace them when they get really bad. Or scrub occasionally with Barkeeper's Friend.

amydawn
10-01-2012, 07:00 PM
My Dad used to be an appliance guy before he retired and he always said that foil was a bad idea because it could cause concentrated heat spots on the element and make them burn out faster. He always told me never to line the drip pans or the bottom of the oven in foil.

Stiina
10-01-2012, 07:02 PM
I throw 'em in the dishwasher maybe once a month. :think

kiloyd
10-01-2012, 07:05 PM
My Dad used to be an appliance guy before he retired and he always said that foil was a bad idea because it could cause concentrated heat spots on the element and make them burn out faster. He always told me never to line the drip pans or the bottom of the oven in foil.

Interesting.

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

I throw 'em in the dishwasher maybe once a month. :think

I wouldn't think that would work, they need so much scrubbing.

hopeforchange
10-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Spray them with dawn degreaser and then put them in the dishwasher. :)

hey mommy
10-01-2012, 08:00 PM
I don't. i buy new ones every year.. :shifty

shekinah
10-02-2012, 03:38 AM
My first fight in my marriage was over the stupid foil, haha. I now understand WHY DH insists on it though. When he cooks, the food gets everywhere :giggle

I have seen a pack of thin foil inserts made for this at the dollar store though and thought about getting those. Cheap-ish to replace on a more frequent basis.