PDA

View Full Version : I need help organizing!

Iveyrock
09-27-2012, 04:32 PM
We moved into a new house, and I am having all sorts of issues. I need help! :giggle

The first major issue is that we don't legally own it yet. It's hard to figure out how to settle in and make it ours.

Past that... this house has so much more space, especially for storage. It's great, and it's freaking me out!

Right now I am trying to figure out what on earth to do with the basement. It's finished, with great storage, and a corner of linoleum (where the daughter used to practice tap). I don't know what to do with it!

How do I use it well? I want to put toys down there, but how do I keep them from being a huge mess all the time? Our last house was so small I knew exactly what was out when.

Starfish
09-28-2012, 01:33 PM
You'll adjust to the space...and you'll fill it up soon enough :giggle I think if you put toys in the basement, you should have shelves or boxes or a "place" for everything they way you want it when its clean. You can also split the basement space with couches or something, to define it into separate areas. I say keep the linoleum as a dance/movement area and put up some mirrors. :giggle

heartofjoy
09-28-2012, 01:51 PM
You'll adjust to the space...and you'll fill it up soon enough :giggle I think if you put toys in the basement, you should have shelves or boxes or a "place" for everything they way you want it when its clean. You can also split the basement space with couches or something, to define it into separate areas. I say keep the linoleum as a dance/movement area and put up some mirrors. :giggle

:yes

I think you should let go of the idea of using the space "well". When I move into a new house, I just start putting things where I think they'll work. I try not to overthink it. I need to live in a house for awhile before I can discover where the optimal place is for everything.

When we lived in our small rental, we had all the kids in two bedrooms because that made most sense. But later, we realized that the office room woiuld be better served by letting our oldest sleep there while the computer lived in our bedroom. We aren't the kind of people that like computers in the bedroom, but it worked for that house and that time of our lives. I didn't know that until we'd lived there a few months.

Iveyrock
09-28-2012, 04:06 PM

can't - none of the couches fit!

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

:yes

I think you should let go of the idea of using the space "well". When I move into a new house, I just start putting things where I think they'll work. I try not to overthink it. I need to live in a house for awhile before I can discover where the optimal place is for everything.

When we lived in our small rental, we had all the kids in two bedrooms because that made most sense. But later, we realized that the office room woiuld be better served by letting our oldest sleep there while the computer lived in our bedroom. We aren't the kind of people that like computers in the bedroom, but it worked for that house and that time of our lives. I didn't know that until we'd lived there a few months.

or I need an onsite consultant :poke

HomeyT
09-28-2012, 04:22 PM
I'd set up a painting easel in the linoleum part!!! Or a craft table!!! Or for dancing whatever your kids are into.

I personally like fluid spaces!! Meaning we use the space as best meets our families needs for that season. Ie. first we had toys in the livingroom, girls got older so they all went downstairs, now with an active baby some toys have resumed. But toy room is the art room for the older kiddos. Toys are in their rooms or on shelves in craft room. Family room is for books and puzzles.

I've been moving things around since we moved in 4 years ago! So as you equip your home think versatility. Can you move that storage unit if you want it elsewhere? Etc.
My 2 cents ;)