PDA

View Full Version : This knitted scarf pattern has me confused!

chigasaki
09-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Hey y'all, I was hoping someone might help me with a knitted scarf pattern.

I posted my issue on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/patterns/2304710/) if you'd like to read the responses I got there.

It's this scarf (http://squinty1.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/sand-dune-scarf-i-loved-working-with.html).

CAST ON 32.

row 1: SL1, SL1, K3, PSSO; Repeat(sl1,k3,psso) to end

row 2: SL1, P3,YO (wyib), P3; Repeat(p3,yo(wyib)p3) to end, k1

row 3: SL1, Knit to end

row 4: SL1, Pearl to end

These 4 rows makes the pattern. Continue until you run out of wool.

Row 1 doesn't make sense to me. :( I cast on 32 and did the SL stitch twice at the beginning of row 1. But then at the end of row 1, I only have enough stitches to K2. So the final PSSO goes over only two knit stitches.

I also mentioned on the Ravelry forum, "If I look at the stitches on my needle, they are almost separated into little 'sets' of three, except for the beginning (which is four stitches) and the end (which is two stitches)." Not sure if that's useful.

I feel like I'm missing something. Am I supposed to cast on 32 in addition to the slip knot (i.e. cast on 33)? Or am I not actually supposed to SL stitch twice at the beginning of row 1? Or am I just supposed to do it the way it turned out, only PSSO two knit stitches at the end? :scratch I'm so confused.

Kiara.I
09-27-2012, 03:39 PM
:think Well, the pattern is a multiple of 4 stitches. (Right? slip 1, K 3 = 4) So to slip an extra one at the beginning would absolutely leave you one short.

chigasaki
09-27-2012, 03:43 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking! It looked to me like it might be a mistake in the pattern.

Kiara.I
09-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah. I only feel slightly motivated to make a swatch to work it out for you. Unfortunately, not quite motivated enough to actually do it. Sorry. :P~ But you could make yourself a small version (like, 9 stitches wide so you do two repeats of the pattern) and see if it works out on the next few rows properly, or whether you'd need to do something like add one spare stitch at the end in order to be able to slip it coming back the other way (on the purl side), too...

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Oh, I see the designer has replied to your post on Rav. Hopefully that clears things up for you.

chigasaki
09-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Hahaha, I don't blame you about the swatch. I tried so many different ways and couldn't figure it out. I'm thankful the designer explained it. :)