PDA

View Full Version : De-cluttering VS Tidying Death Match

Tuesdayschild
09-26-2012, 04:03 AM
So... I have a little time this PM which happens very rarely but I am obliged to use it usefully in the house rather than indulging myself - for various reasons too boring to detail. The house is a MESS - toys everywhere, is the main problem - and I would love to get it tidy (even if it only lasts 5 mins) BUT I would also like to use the time to declutter something (anything) properly. I might post a poll for fun, but seriously - how do you de-clutter when while containing mess? (and yes, I get that when you de-clutter there's less mess - but it doesn't take long to re-accumulate stuff, leading to the same problem, so input still welcomed).

arelyn
09-26-2012, 04:26 AM
I think it's time for toy culling! Put anything that is outgrown or rarely used or you just hate in a bag in the closet. Keep it secret! If they ask about something tell them you'll look for it and get it from the bag when no one is there to see. Aft a month or two give the forgotten items away or rotate them back in and put other things in the bag. Then you can tidy up the toys and declutter at the same time!

Tuesdayschild
09-26-2012, 04:31 AM
:D BTDT - we're down to duplo and a wooden train set for the little ones, some doll's stuff for dd, a play kitchen and the big boys have lego. There are books, and separately stored games and puzzles. But it's amazing how much the stuff that gets played with (all of it) can end up everywhere. We don't have a playroom and that def. contributes to the problem.

librarianjojo
09-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Declutter! Because otherwise you're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. :lol Also, decluttering is my favorite thing to do...ever. So I always vote declutter!

RiverRock
09-26-2012, 10:27 AM
If my surroundings are chaotic, I need to deal with that before I can concentrate on decluttering. I would tidy first, and then try to push myself to declutter an area the next morning.

HomeyT
09-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Declutter!! When I get annoyed with the stuff in our house I grab a bag and start wandering the house!!

Or pick One chunk ie. just the toys. Put them all in the middle of the room, and cull as the pp said. Put back the best most used toys first. When your storage is full and if you have more toys left make the tough decision to find storage or purge.

Good luck!

Tuesdayschild
09-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Well it's bedtime here and guess what? I managed to do both, somewhat :) I did a pick up of everything in the living space that was driving me :crazy and then cleared loads of paper from the office space :woohoo

Thanks for the input and the votes - you all won :D

RiverRock
09-26-2012, 01:19 PM
I think you are the true winner. :tu

twoplustwo
09-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Ooops - I voted before I read the entire thread. Yay for you getting stuff done.

HomeyT
09-26-2012, 04:10 PM
I think you are the true winner. :tu

Yes you are! Enjoy!

sunflowermom
09-26-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm so glad to hear other people have this discussion with themselves too! I'm forever wondering if I should spend time tidying or decluttering.