PDA

View Full Version : Help with Crochet Scarf Pattern

chigasaki
09-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Hey y'all, I need some help. I am a beginner at crochet, and I want to make this scarf (registration req'd): http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L0721.html?noImages=

Here's the pattern:
SCARF
Chain 132.
Row 1: Double crochet in 4th chain from hook, *double crochet in next chain, 2 double crochet in next chain; repeat from * across.
Row 2: Chain 3, turn, double crochet in same space, *double crochet in next 2 double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet; repeat from * across.
Row 3: Chain 3, turn, double crochet in same space, *double crochet in next 3 double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet; repeat from * across.
Row 4: Chain 3, turn, double crochet in same space, *double crochet in next 4 double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet; repeat from * across Fasten off.

I understand what everything means, except for "double crochet in same space." To what is the "same space" referring?

Does that just mean to double crochet where the first double crochet of the last row is (i.e. skip the 3 chains I just made, and double crochet in the next space)?

Or does that mean to double crochet in one of the chains I just made? :scratch

Any help would be appreciated. :heart

SilverMoon
09-23-2012, 06:31 PM
The 3 chain at the beginning is considered to be the first stitch, a dc. You would put another dc in the bottom of that stitch, the last dc in the row below. That would be 2 dc in one stitch.

(pretending the V is two dc, and the T is the dc below, this is what the first 2 stitches of the new row would look like.
V
T

Normally, when crocheting straight across the row, and not increasing stitches, the 3 chains is a turning chain and represents the first dc. To keep the same number of stitches in the row, you wouldn't put a dc in the first stitch, then, because the chain3 is that dc. It's to make the yarn high enough in the next row for the next stitch, another dc, which goes into the second stitch of the previous row.
You need to put a turning chain at the start of every row to keep the work flat and square. If you don't, then the work slowly becomes a triangle as the stitches disappear.

mom2boys
09-23-2012, 06:38 PM
yeah, what she said. ;)

SilverMoon
09-23-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm afraid I'm too wordy and made it even more confusing.

mom2boys
09-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Well, after I saw the scarf it made sense-it's going to be one of those spiral-y ones, so she's going to want to increase at each end specifically to make it curl properly. :)
I don't think you're too wordy!

chigasaki
09-23-2012, 07:10 PM
http://cache.lionbrand.com/stores/lionbrand/pictures/l0721a.jpg

Yes, mom2boys is correct, it is a spiral scarf.

SilverMoon, thank you so much for taking the time to explain that :heart but I still don't understand. :(

I know that when I am doing two back-to-back rows of dc, then at the end of the row, I chain 3 to make the height for the next row, turn, and then I dc in the last dc I made in the previous row (in other words, the first available dc after turning my work).

But this isn't a usual scarf, and the directions make me think I'm supposed to dc in a place that I normally wouldn't. I just can't figure out where. :scratch

SilverMoon
09-23-2012, 07:18 PM
http://cache.lionbrand.com/stores/lionbrand/pictures/l0721a.jpg

Yes, mom2boys is correct, it is a spiral scarf.

SilverMoon, thank you so much for taking the time to explain that :heart but I still don't understand. :(

I know that when I am doing two back-to-back rows of dc, then at the end of the row, I chain 3 to make the height for the next row, turn, and then I dc in the last dc I made in the previous row (in other words, the first available dc after turning my work).

But this isn't a usual scarf, and the directions make me think I'm supposed to dc in a place that I normally wouldn't. I just can't figure out where. :scratch

That's it! It's as simple as that.

See, normally you wouldn't do that if you were making something that didn't have increases (that's what it's called when you put two stitches into one). You'd dc in the NEXT stitch, to keep the stitch count even.

I made that scarf last winter, but never wore it.

chigasaki
09-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Oh! Thank you, SilverMoon! So it's just what I would normally do... it was just worded confusingly! haha. (I admit this is the first pattern I have read, instead of practice stitches from YouTube videos.)

Thank you so much!!

mom2boys
09-23-2012, 09:09 PM
you're gonna get hoooooked on crochet!!!!
(say that in a sing songy voice) :giggle
Welcome to the dark side. ;)

chigasaki
09-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Haha, "hooked" on crochet. :giggle I love it already. I am still a beginner knitter, but I love how much faster crocheting seems to be. But I get bored very quickly with projects/hobbies so I have to have several projects going at once. Which is why I started knitting my husband's ribbed scarf last year and still haven't completed it... *sigh* This scarf is so much fun though! I love that it is already curling on the first row... it makes it exciting!

mom2boys
09-24-2012, 08:46 AM
yes, I started out a hooker and moved to knitting. :shifty

I made a crochet block that had culicues similar to this scarf, and I barely made it through the block. See, when I was little my great aunt was a VERY prolific crocheter, and she had these coffee can dolls that looked like clowns that had those curlicues for legs and arms. They were CREEPY :shiver so I have a long standing aversion to them. :lol

chigasaki
09-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Hahaha :funny That's hilarious! They sound creepy!!

mom2boys
09-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Extra creepy when you're like 7 years old! :haha Imagine this with a coffee can for the body: It held candy in the top of it, so the lid was on top; it was like a giant coffee cup cozy that sat on the shelf. :shiver
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WSQkIJUQywc/T8PnynHQUTI/AAAAAAAACqI/M1kWTAJzYfU/s1600/IMG_7691.JPG

Yikes! that's huge! sorry! :lol

SilverMoon
09-24-2012, 03:12 PM
I remember those. Don't worry about how big the picture is, that only adds to the effect. :shifty

chigasaki
09-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Wow that's really neat!!! It's creepy, but it looks fun to make!

mom2boys
09-24-2012, 04:26 PM
:lol true, SM!! :lol

Wow that's really neat!!! It's creepy, but it looks fun to make!
I think it's the face that gets me. :lol the thing has the whole "IT" factor going on. :lol

chigasaki
09-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I just took a closer look at the face. That is pretty terrifying. :shudder

chigasaki
09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Just thought y'all would like to see how it turned out. I started it Sunday night and finished it tonight... I think I am in love with crochet!!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/393632_142796119199607_864202802_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/552472_142796152532937_750763901_n.jpg

SilverMoon
09-25-2012, 08:22 PM
No fair, posting without the picture!

eta: I think it's in one of the hosting sites I can't see in Google+

chigasaki
09-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Hahaha, I actually did post the picture, it just must be taking a long time to load... but it's hilarious to read the post and imagine not posting the pictures... :roll

mom2boys
09-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Looks wonderful!!! Great job!!!

chigasaki
09-25-2012, 10:34 PM
It was so much fun!! I may or may not be looking for another pattern already... :shifty

Ravelry.com is awesome!

mom2boys
09-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Friend me!!! I'm darciknits. :-)

chigasaki
09-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Yay! I added you. My first friend! :giggle I'm eveningskyline

mom2boys
09-27-2012, 06:46 AM
there is an (unofficial) GCM group there, too. :)

GentleMomof4
10-13-2012, 12:51 AM
Just came across this post. Your scarf turned out awesome!! :rockon I signed up for Ravlery too. Mind if I friend y'all?

mom2boys
10-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Friend away!!! :mrgreen

chigasaki
10-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Sure, send me a friend request! :)