PDA

View Full Version : My house is so dusty

Tandem mama
09-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Like an inch of it on the fan and picture frames gathering weekly. We have cats. Why is it so dusty and how do I stop it? That seems like a LOT of dust

Petie
09-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Animal fur, oh and 70% of all household dust is dead skin cells. Yuck! As for how to get rid of it, well since people are the biggest contributor, you could just move out. Lol. Other than that, dusting is the only solution I've found.

Oh and check your AC filter, of that gets gunked up, then it is just pushing dirty, dusty air.

Tandem mama
09-22-2012, 06:36 PM
I just feel like it is more than most propel get. Wonder if my ducts need cleaning

MercyInDisguise
09-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Fans are GROSS. When I moved in here, there was about an inch of dust, and having the furriest sheddingest dog ever doesn't help anything either. I wound up having to dust daily for a few months (not the fans - I'm too lazy for that) and then it stopped. :scratch

bec28
09-23-2012, 03:29 AM
I feel like our house in Virginia was like that. I'd dust in the morning, and by the afternoon things were dusty again. We did have a dog, and it was three of us living in 800 sq feet. Idk if that made it worse.

I don't have any ideas. Just know your house isn't the only one :hug

Blue Aurora
09-23-2012, 04:12 AM
I live in va and my house gets really dusty

Auroras mom
09-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Do you have carpets or rugs? They hold so much dust, it can be amazing.

Teacher Mom
09-23-2012, 08:18 AM
I've noticed a big difference in this house compared to our other one too.

More wood floors in this house. but one less dog.

It's very weird. Very!!!!

Tandem mama
09-23-2012, 08:32 AM
We have carpet. It's gross and old. We haven't been able to replace it since the previous owners-smokers-sold us the house. We shampoo it a LOT but a month afterward, stains resurface.

And my house sounds like a filthy place now. I promise it isn't.

Maybe we need to figure out getting new flooring. We will likely go with faux wood laminate.

mamacat
09-23-2012, 08:40 AM
friends that have newer houses and windows have waaaay much less dust than we do overall

blessedwithboys
09-23-2012, 08:52 AM
It might be the age of your house (when we lived in an older house with OLD windows, we had a lot), or the location. The dustiest home we ever lived in was on a farm that often had empty fields (no crops). The dust flying around there was just insane. Also, we have a big dog and she tracked in a lot of dust when we lived there. Now that we live in town, but on the edge of a field that is farmed consistently (there are always crops in it and the farmer does no till), and with new windows, we have a lot less.

Changing the furnace/ac filter does help a lot, when you can't change the other factors. :hug2 It's frustrating.

Tandem mama
09-23-2012, 08:57 AM
We have a cleanable filter. I need a better one though. We live in a house that is 12 years old, so age probably isn't a factor. I'd guess the windows are. Once a bottle of olive oil was a foot from a window and it froze because they're highly inefficient.

I vacuum once or twice a day. :think we live in a modular home in a "modular home community" aka upscale trailer park. There are "lakes" which are really glorified ponds in the park and it used to be a rock quarry.

Macky
09-23-2012, 10:17 AM
friends that have newer houses and windows have waaaay much less dust than we do overall

It might be the age of your house (when we lived in an older house with OLD windows, we had a lot), or the location. The dustiest home we ever lived in was on a farm that often had empty fields (no crops). The dust flying around there was just insane. Also, we have a big dog and she tracked in a lot of dust when we lived there. Now that we live in town, but on the edge of a field that is farmed consistently (there are always crops in it and the farmer does no till), and with new windows, we have a lot less.

Changing the furnace/ac filter does help a lot, when you can't change the other factors. :hug2 It's frustrating.

That's about it in a nutshell. :( Newer houses are better sealed and old houses and old windows are not. If you can afford to re-seal and re-insulate your home, that will make it a LOT better (and heating/cooling will be more efficient), but if you're like us, that's too expensive a project at the moment.

Johns_Gal
09-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Subbing. I have carpet for the first time in six years and oh my word. Gross level of dust.

I also did the old drafty farmhouse routine for a time, and we had a dust storm one day. I was sweeping red dust for a week.

I'm thinking of pulling out the ion filter/fan we ran when we had kittens around.