PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hate the taste of Stevia?

Allison
09-18-2012, 06:21 AM
I am trying again to like stevia. It is not easy for me. It has a chemically, sickeningly sweet after taste that turns me off.

It tastes a lot like artificial sweeteners, which I hate the taste of and have a bad physical reaction to, so maybe that's why I dislike it so much.

Or, maybe it's just an acquired taste and I'll learn to love it?

made4more
09-18-2012, 06:26 AM
I used to like it fine, until I was newly pregnant with my last. Now I can't stand the stuff. I use organic sugar now or honey or grade b maple syrup. I just don't like it. I figure in 5 years it will be linked to cancer anyway.

HuggaBuggaMommy
09-18-2012, 06:45 AM
I don't like it at all, and I wouldn't used the "refined" kind anyway.

I've grown it in my garden fresh and will put a leaf in my tea while it steeps, but even then it's only tolerable. I'd rather use sugar. :shifty

rosesnsnails
09-18-2012, 06:46 AM
It gives me a huge headache just like sugar, so I ditched it.

easygoinmomma
09-18-2012, 07:40 AM
It makes my tongue go numb.

Macky
09-18-2012, 07:51 AM
I tried growing it once and couldn't germinate even a single seed from the whole packet, which is odd because I'm really good at starting just about everything. I don't think I've ever tasted it (knowingly) yet. I didn't know it had an icky taste. Maybe I won't try to grow it again after all.

Dovenoir
09-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Its a one use item here. I can stand it in iced teas but not coffee and not foods.

I'd rather use honey, or a limited amount of white sugar. (But we haven't hit the sugar is EVIL stage yet)

blondie
09-18-2012, 08:10 AM
It gives me a headache, just like aspartame and other fake sugars.

Marrae
09-18-2012, 08:13 AM
It depends which strength you use. I have tablets that are fine and powder that is :sick. Using the actual leaves sounds good but I'm soon not a gardener. :think

Leslie_JJKs_mom
09-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Nope I cant stand it and it makes my stomach hurt.

Iarwain
09-18-2012, 08:22 AM
I hate aspartame and other chemical sweeteners. Stevia doesn't taste like them to me but it doesn't taste like sugar either. I like some kinds but not others. It doesn't taste chemical-y to me but it does taste different. I got some that was just the ground leaves once. It was green and tasted like sweetened grass clippings. It was only OK if I put it in the coffee filter or tea bag so that the actual powder didn't wind up in my beverage, thus reducing the planty taste. I won't buy that kind again. I'm not crazy about stevia in coffee or tea but I will use it because I really have to avoid sugars and sometimes I just don't want to take my beverage black. I do like it in kefir and yogurt. The odd taste isn't so noticeable then.

rheadeja
09-18-2012, 08:32 AM
I hate it. Don't use it because of the odd taste and aftertaste. My SIL and MIL love it and use it in tea, coffee etc. They say that some people have different receptors that are more sensitive to it and thus those people don't like it.

houseforjoy
09-18-2012, 08:38 AM
I am trying again to like stevia. It is not easy for me. It has a chemically, sickeningly sweet after taste that turns me off.

It tastes a lot like artificial sweeteners, which I hate the taste of and have a bad physical reaction to, so maybe that's why I dislike it so much.

Or, maybe it's just an acquired taste and I'll learn to love it?

this, i don't like it

JessicaTX
09-18-2012, 08:42 AM
I've tried hard to like it and just can't. There are some flavored ones I can stand more than others, but I still don't actually like them.

ArmsOfLove
09-18-2012, 08:44 AM
It tastes like saccharin :shiver I can do it (I've worked hard to get used to it) but I don't like to. I have a non-corn xylitol that I much prefer. It actually tastes like sugar.

The Tickle Momster
09-18-2012, 08:51 AM
I am so glad I am not the only oner who thinks it tastes like other artificial sweeteners. I canNOT stand the stuff. :shiver

teamommy
09-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Used to have it once a while, but don't like it.

I doubt it is a great thing to use regularly, anyway. For me it was one of the stepping stones to (mostly) getting off sugar completely.

milkmommy
09-18-2012, 09:24 AM
I dont like it its extremely bitter tasting to me like I can't taste sweet at all. The after taste is horrid.

Macky
09-18-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm confused. A lot of you are posting that it tastes a lot like "other" chemical/fake sweeteners. (and please forgive the INTJ here :shifty) Stevia isn't synthetic; it's a plant.

This is from the wiki page where they talk about the extraction process:
Rebaudioside A has the least bitterness of all the steviol glycosides in the stevia plant. To produce rebaudioside A commercially, stevia plants are dried and subjected to a water extraction process. This crude extract contains about 50% rebaudioside A; its various glycoside molecules are separated via crystallization techniques, typically using ethanol or methanol as solvent. This allows the manufacturer to isolate pure rebaudioside A.[/URL] The National Research Council of Canada has patented a process for extracting sweet compounds from stevia by column extraction at temperatures from 0–25 °C, followed by purification by nanofiltration. A microfiltration pretreatment step is used to clarify the extract. Purification is by ultrafiltration followed by nanofiltration.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia#cite_note-45"] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia#cite_note-44)
Those of you who have tried stevia in commercial products, have you tried differents brands or just one? Would different brands possibly use different processes and thus have different degrees of the aftertastes you don't like?

I'm still intrigued by the plant because, unlike sugar beets and sugar cane, it's a sweetener I can grow and preserve in zone 2 (if I could get the dang things to start from seed ;)).

kwisie
09-18-2012, 10:12 AM
I think it tastes like artificial sweeteners, too. :yuck

The Tickle Momster
09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm confused. A lot of you are posting that it tastes a lot like "other" chemical/fake sweeteners. (and please forgive the INTJ here :shifty) Stevia isn't synthetic; it's a plant.

This is from the wiki page where they talk about the extraction process:

Those of you who have tried stevia in commercial products, have you tried differents brands or just one? Would different brands possibly use different processes and thus have different degrees of the aftertastes you don't like?

I'm still intrigued by the plant because, unlike sugar beets and sugar cane, it's a sweetener I can grow and preserve in zone 2 (if I could get the dang things to start from seed ;)).
I know it's a plant. To me, it still tastes like NutraSweet or Splenda. One reason I never use those is that I can't stand the taste.

I've also tasted straight/plain processed stevia, and couldn't stand it.

J3K
09-18-2012, 10:33 AM
I'd rather use Stevia than Splenda or Nutrasweet or other artificial sweetners. However...I'll still reach for the plain table sugar first. :shifty

Yes , it's natural , but it left me headachy and sick , just like the artificial sweetners did.(although I will say the headache wasn't long lasting and I didn't need benadryl to rid myself of the feeling.)

HomeWithMyBabies
09-18-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm not a fan. I just use honey.

Hopetobe
09-18-2012, 10:59 AM
I don't like it either. I use honey, maple, etc.

Allison
09-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Wow! I am glad to see I'm not alone.

We only use organic sugar for Kombucha and use raw honey, grade b maple syrup and sucanat or coconut sugar the rest of the time.

I was looking for something natural to put in iced tea that was cheaper than my precious raw honey. I'd tried stevia in the past and didn't like it and hoped that it was because I'd gotten a bad brand of it. I bought a box of sweet leaf last night and it still has that same aspartame/saccharine flavor. :sick It seems to be doing to my stomach exactly what aspartame and all the rest do, as well. :sick

cheri
09-18-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't like it, either. In fact, I think that it ruins things to the point that I can't eat/drink them.

Allison
09-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Oh, and Macky, I get what you're saying. (Fellow INTJ here :shifty) but I assumed what they were thinking of is the forms of stevia that have been processed or added to which would make a body feel pretty badly after ingesting.

I mean sugar cane and maple syrup are natural products, but some forms of each are so refined or processed that they are toxic to the body. If Truvia, for instance, was one's only experience with stevia they could call it artificial or fake. I think it has erythritol added to it?

I think to get real, natural stevia powder or drops you'd have to grow or buy the leaves and dry or brew them yourself.

On another topic, I was reading a little about stevia this morning and came across something that said it's sometimes used as a contraceptive. I didn't have time to research that more or check the source so I wondered if you guys had heard that.

Regardless, it's back to raw honey in the tea for us. lol

shaslove
09-18-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't like it :sick

I prefer raw honey or organic sugar.

Redeemed
12-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Stevia gives me migraines, so I use turbinado sugar instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Maleldil's daughter
12-02-2013, 08:48 AM
I bought some because Dh likes his tea sweet and is trying to reduce sugar intake. It's totally gross. It has a strange chemical metallic aftertaste to me too.

We use a lot of palm sugar or honey.

LilacPhoenix
12-02-2013, 08:59 AM
I like it in coffee but all I use is the Now brand Better Stevia liquid:shrug I've heard there's a huge difference in taste among brands.

And Truvia is NOT stevia:no

Dovenoir
12-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Is there a big difference between using fresh home grown stevia vs the processed derivatives?

NeshamaMama
12-02-2013, 10:36 AM
I hear this come up a lot and it confuses me because
a) I have never ever experienced this "aftertaste" that people talk about :scratch
b) I am very (VERY) sensitive to sugar and artificial sweeteners and I have absolutely no reaction to stevia
c) I don't like things too sweet and I don't find it sickeningly sweet at all.
Maybe my taste buds are just weird. :giggle

I love stevia. :shrug. It's the only sweetener that I truly have no reaction to. I use it most often in tea, homemade peanut butter cups, So Delicious coconut milk ice cream (they have one kind that us sweetened only with stevia :yum), and Zevia ("soda" - my occasional special treat to myself :O).

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Eowyn
12-02-2013, 09:42 PM
It hits the same part of my palate artificial sweeteners do, and tastes like them to me.

Elleanne
12-02-2013, 09:55 PM
I don't like it at all. :no I don't like any sweeteners other than sugar and honey.

Redeemed
01-14-2014, 09:18 PM
I don't like stevia and can't use it because I'm allergic to ragweed.

hey mommy
01-14-2014, 09:26 PM
I love it. :shrug I use the Sweet Leaf brand, which I think is better. I prefer it to sugar in my coffee.

Leslie_JJKs_mom
01-14-2014, 10:36 PM
It is bitter and makes my stomach hurt. I use spenda and aspertame.

DancingWithElves
01-14-2014, 10:44 PM
YES! it's horrid. :shiver

jmom1984
01-14-2014, 10:52 PM
I can't stand it either :shiver I thought I was crazy too. Why does it taste just like the artificial sweeteners when it isn't? :scratch Something about that just doesn't feel right to me. We use a lot of honey around here (inlaws have bees! :tu) and some organic sugar.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

3PeasInAPod
01-14-2014, 11:27 PM
I think it's an acquired taste. If you took out eating other sweets or sweeteners then I bet you'd be fine with the taste

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk