PDA

View Full Version : Soup's On!

ncsweetpea
09-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Cooler days are here...finally! :whew

And it's time to make soup. Let's share some of our favorites here to inspire one another to get out the stockpot or crockpot and make some soup!

I'll start:

Tomato Chicken Rice
3 quarts chicken broth
1 lb chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
1 jar pasta sauce
1/2 tsp thyme, crushed
1 cup uncooked rice
2 Tbsp parsley

Bring broth to boil. Reduce heat to low, add chicken. Simmer until chicken is done. Remove chicken, cool and shred. Add pasta sauce and thyme to broth. Bring to boil. Stir in uncooked rice. Reduce to low and simmer uncovered until rice is done. Stir in shredded chicken and parsley. Simmer five minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.

StumblinMama
09-16-2012, 06:03 PM
:ty3 I needed some cheering up. This is perfect :heart

I like to make a tortilla soup in the crockpot.
Get a rotisserie chicken (our local grocery store cooks them on-site in a smoker :yum). Eat chicken one night then put the bones with any leftover meat in the crockpot and let it go for a day or so on low.

Add in some frozen chicken breast, a jar of salsa, package of mexican seasoning (or you can make your own) Canned corn, and cook for another 4-6 hours. When ready to serve, toss some tortilla chips on top :yum Alternately, it can be served over rice.

WingsOfTheMorning
09-16-2012, 06:16 PM
:cup I'll be back.

StumblinMama
09-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Cooler days are here...finally! :whew

And it's time to make soup. Let's share some of our favorites here to inspire one another to get out the stockpot or crockpot and make some soup!

I'll start:

Tomato Chicken Rice
3 quarts chicken broth
1 lb chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
1 jar pasta sauce
1/2 tsp thyme, crushed
1 cup uncooked rice
2 Tbsp parsley

Bring broth to boil. Reduce heat to low, add chicken. Simmer until chicken is done. Remove chicken, cool and shred. Add pasta sauce and thyme to broth. Bring to boil. Stir in uncooked rice. Reduce to low and simmer uncovered until rice is done. Stir in shredded chicken and parsley. Simmer five minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.

This sounds like the arroz con pollo that I had when I lived in Nicaragua :yes

LoveIsGentle
09-16-2012, 06:20 PM
For the most part, I don't even LIKE soup, but I could eat this all the time.

Cream Cheese Potato Soup

Ingredients

4 cups chicken broth
4 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
1/4 cup minced onions
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into chunks

Combine broth, potatoes, onion, and spices.
Boil on medium heat until potatoes are tender.
Smash a few of the potatoes to release their starch for thickening.
Reduce to low heat.
Add cream cheese.
Heat, stirring frequently, until cheese melts.

ncsweetpea
09-16-2012, 06:25 PM
I have never bought white pepper...it would make me feel so...culinary to do so! ;)

LoveIsGentle
09-16-2012, 06:32 PM
:giggle I just use regular pepper...lol

HomeWithMyBabies
09-16-2012, 06:46 PM
I came up with this one when they were the only ingredients left in the kitchen.

Butternnut squash and kale soup.

Prep and cook butternut squash in oven until soft. Blend with a bit of broth until smooth. Add squash to large pot of broth with leftover chicken, diced onion, sea salt, black pepper, ground cumin to taste. Add a pinch of dried roasted red pepper flakes. Heat through and simmer. Depending on how wilted you like your kale you can cook it awhile or add it a few minutes before serving.

gardenfreshmama
09-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Mmm, we had tomato dill soup for dinner tonight! :yum I'll bbl with recipe!

ncsweetpea
09-19-2012, 08:29 PM
:poke

Tonight I made chili. Sort of a soup. C'mon ladies...we need more soup!

Does anybody have a great alphabet soup recipe?

mystweaver
09-19-2012, 08:32 PM
:popcorn

charla
09-19-2012, 08:43 PM
I loved this thread about soup and it has a lot of soup recipes in it: http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=375363

ncsweetpea
09-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Thank you! I knew I had participated in a soup thread. I have GCM thread de ja vu all the time though.

Have you found any new ones you love in the last couple years you might want to add here? You populated that thread so well, but maybe you've added something to your repertoire.

SilverMoon
09-19-2012, 08:53 PM
My SIL shared this paleo soup: 10 minute pizza soup (http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/10/17/10-minute-pizza-soup/). I've made it twice.
Once with chicken sausage instead of Italian, and kale instead of broccoli.
The second time, with beef stew meat and kale, plus 3 cloves of garlic.
Both, garnished with Romano cheese.

ncsweetpea
09-19-2012, 08:59 PM
This one sounds awesome too:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/thai-coconut-chicken-soup-recipe/index.html

charla
09-19-2012, 09:12 PM
This is my most recent soup I've made up: Chicken Noodle Soup with Dumplings http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=375363

I can't remember if I shared the chicken chili soup my kids and I made up using our emergency food storage. My kids loooove this soup.

Chicken Chili
(crockpot version although you can make it on the stovetop using the same method but bring to boil, cover and lower to simmer until chicken is cooked through, about an hour makes really tender, fall-apart chicken)

3 chicken breasts (I take them straight out of the freezer individually frozen solid, I hate working with raw meat :shiver)
2 cans great northern beans, undrained
2 cans pinto beans, undrained
2 cans green enchilada sauce
1 can corn, drained
1 can chicken broth
1 can rotel
Season with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, chili powder and cumin.
Toppings: crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and a squeeze of lime, we've done cilantro sometimes, too, if we have it on hand

Throw it all in the crockpot (except the toppings) and set on high for about four hours. Remove chicken and dice and add back to the pot. Serve with toppings. I can get this in the crockpot in five minutes and then take another five minutes to get the toppings prepped and the soup served. I love this on busy days. And for us, we can eat this for two meals.

jujubnme
09-20-2012, 08:30 AM
This is my Thai Chicken Soup recipe. You should be able to find all of the ingredients at most local grocery stores (in my area at least...). Tastes just like the Tom Kha Gai we get at the Thai restaurant!

Thai-style Chicken Soup

Serves 4

1 t. vegetable oil
3 stalks lemongrass, remove tough outer leaves, halve the bottom 5" lengthwise and then slice thin crosswise (this can be omitted if you can't find lemongrass... but don't omit it if you can help it!)
3 shallots, chopped (about half a cup)
8 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
3 T fish sauce
4 c. chicken broth
2 14-oz. cans coconut milk, well shaken/stirred
1 T. sugar
1/2 lb. sliced white mushrooms
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise and sliced on the bias into 1/8"-thick pieces
3 T. lime juice (2-3 limes)
2 t. Thai red curry paste

Garnish:

1/2 c. cilantro leaves
2 seranno chiles, sliced thin
2 scallions sliced thin on the bias
1 lime cut into wedges

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add lemongrass, shallots, cilantro and 1 T. fish sauce; cook, stirring frequently until just softened (about 2-5 minutes). Stir in the broth and 1 can coconut milk. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until the flavors have blended (about 10 minutes). Pour the broth through a fine-mesh strainer and discard the solids. Wipe out saucepan and return broth mixture to pan.

Stir the remaining can of coconut milk and sugar into the broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium, add mushrooms and cook until tender (2-3 minutes). Add the chicken and cook, while stirring constantly, until the chicken is no longer pink, about 1-3 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Combine lime juice, curry paste and last 2 T. fish sauce in a small bowl; stir into soup. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro, chiles and scallions. Serve with lime wedges.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

P.S. I haven't made this since going primal... I'll probably drop the sugar now, but I haven't tried it yet that way. I do have a brand of fish sauce that doesn't have added sugar or other additives... Red Boat, I believe.

3boysforme
09-20-2012, 08:32 AM
I :heart soup

I made a beef vegetable soup last week. It has beef broth (homemade) beef off the soup bone I had, a can of whole tomatoes, sweet peas, turnips, and potatoes. I seasoned with some thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. It was yummy.

I am looking for a Albondigas soup if anyone has a recipe. :shifty

Glitterfish
09-20-2012, 08:46 AM
I rarely follow a recipe when making soup, but I love reading these for ideas!!

:cup <------ steaming mug of soup :)

ncsweetpea
09-23-2012, 07:44 AM
I have slow cooker French onion going now.

Sauté four large sliced onions in butter until transparent. Stir in 1 Tbsp of flour into them. Add to slow cooker. Pour in 6 cups beef broth or bouillion. One quick splash of hot sauce. Cook on high 4-5 hours. Or low 8-10. Ladle into bowls add toasted cubes of French bread. Cover with provolone and broil until melted.

Teacher Mom
09-23-2012, 07:59 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

GlacierLily
09-23-2012, 10:47 AM
:popcorn:cup:scarf

ncsweetpea
10-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I'll resurrect it myself... :giggle

I'm making a Chicken Chili right now that is so easy and has my mouth watering...

Leftover pulled chicken from a roasted one
1 quart chicken broth
1 quart salsa or picanted
1 onion
1 bell pepper
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
3 cans garbanzo beans, drained
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder

Dice and saute onion and pepper and jalapeno. Then add everything else in and stir. Simmer until desired thickness.

charla
10-21-2012, 02:03 PM
That sounds yummy!

ncsweetpea
10-21-2012, 03:55 PM
It was! Too spicy for the kids though....

nicholef
11-04-2012, 12:01 PM
We just made this soup for lunch and it was incredible! It made a ton, flavorful and colorful. Would be great for guests. http://feastonthecheap.net/tuscan-sausage-soup/

Carini
11-04-2012, 12:27 PM
We just made this soup for lunch and it was incredible! It made a ton, flavorful and colorful. Would be great for guests. http://feastonthecheap.net/tuscan-sausage-soup/

That looks delicious and so easy. Gonna make it soon. Thx!

mystweaver
11-04-2012, 03:23 PM
I have this Chicken Corn Chowder (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-and-Corn-Chowder-with-Thyme-618) on the stove, with a whole pile of bacon waiting to go with it. :yum

ncsweetpea
11-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Both of those look yummy! I think I can get GF shells...and I happen to have some turkey italian sausage...hmmm...

Today I made veggie beef. It was good.