PDA

View Full Version : Question for Verizon flip-phone users Re: Email

Lady TS
09-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Dh and I are thinking about unplugging as far as the internet at the house, so I am looking into using our flip phone(not a smart phone) for checking our email.

I am confused, looking at the Verizon Wireless website and don't want to talk to the pushy guy at the local place until I have my mind made up. :shifty

To check email, is it a flat $5/month fee, or are you charged $1.99/MB used(and how on earth do you keep track of that?). Or is it better to get the 75MB Data package w/email for $10/month?

I am confused, because I don't know how these things are measured and I don't want to sound like a doof at the store, lol.

I can't imagine wanting to peruse the internet on my teensy-screened phone. I don't care about downloading music or videos. Right now, we just use it for calls and voicemail. I've turned texting back on, but would like to be able to check my email without driving 10 miles to the library every day.

:help

easygoinmomma
09-18-2012, 08:18 PM
I have no idea so I just thought I would bump this for you. :)

Lady TS
09-19-2012, 05:07 AM
I got a reply from VZW...a basic plan would be $5/mo plus $1.99/MB used (about 5 emails read = 1MB)

The next level is $10/month for 75MB usage.

I'm still mulling it over. I get a LOT of email, but I'm not sure it's worth that much when it'd be less costly to drive to a Wi-Fi zone and check it for free on the library computer, my laptop, or ipod (and w/o the clunkiness of checking it on a flip phone).

easygoinmomma
09-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Things like that blow my mind! That seems so cheap to me. My dh plan is Around $70 a month. That is unlimited data, unlimited texted, and the basic talk plan. I have no idea why things have to be so much more here in Canada.

Anyway, since you get a lot of emails I guess the question is how often do you cheeck it? Or how often do you want to be able to check it?

Lady TS
09-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Oh, those prices are in addition to our basic plan, which comes to just over $50/mo right now.

I suppose I should have clarified that those costs for adding email option were in addition to the regular plans cost.:shifty

We are on a per-text (no cost unless we get/send texts), but if we were to add the 75MB plan AND a texting plan, it would come quite close to your dh's plan. :yes

At home, where we have the internet now, I check email a couple times/day. It depends if dh and I have a dialogue going or not and whether or not I am expecting an email from the person I write for...

easygoinmomma
09-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Oh I see now. Have you figured out what the difference would be by disconnecting the internet at your house and then comparing it to the choices you are thinking about? Sometimes it helps to see it written down. Well it does for me anyway.

Lady TS
09-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it's $37/mo for our internet.

Cold turkey, keeping the phone as just a phone and occasional text if what I'm looking at.

We want to save money, but we also want the peace of mind/less busy-ness in our home. The 'net monster takes over if it's available all the time, and it's only getting worse.

Hmm.... decisions, decisions!

easygoinmomma
09-19-2012, 10:52 AM
I hear you.