PDA

View Full Version : How do you eat zucchini relish?

Blue-EyedLady
09-12-2012, 09:16 PM
MIL made zucchini relish. She didn't process it, so it's sitting in my fridge staring at me. She went to a lot of trouble to be sure it was allergen-free for us, so I really do have to eat it. The problem is I don't know what to eat it with - I've never had relish before. :shrug The only thing I know to do is to put it on a hot dog, but I'm not sure that works with zucchini relish.

Any suggestions?

StumblinMama
09-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I've never had zucchini relish, but I'm wondering if it is similar to chow-chow. If it is, you can eat it as a condiment with chicken or beef.

Macky
09-12-2012, 10:04 PM
You can use zucchini relish on whatever you'd use regular (cucumber) relish on. I've had it before and it tastes pretty similar. That said, I only ever use it on hotdogs and burgers, so I'm up for hearing other suggestions, too! I made cucmber relish for the first time this year (canned) and I'll be making a canner load of green tomato relish soon as well.

ETA: Oh, and I put a little relish in my tuna salad sandwiches.

Blue-EyedLady
09-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah, see that's the problem - I never use condiments with my meat. :no DH likes to cook the meat with a sauce or seasoning on it. You'd want to make plain chicken to go with the relish, right?

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Huh. Apparently Canadians and Americans do relish differently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relish

I looked up chow chow, and one of the uses is on pinto beans. I might give that a try. I've got plain beans. :yes

canadiyank
09-12-2012, 10:12 PM
No idea, but sounds like a genius way to use up extra zucchini! :popcorn Have you tasted it? I wouldn't think it's that much different...cucumbers and zucchinis are both squash.

Blue-EyedLady
09-12-2012, 10:15 PM
I've been too afraid to try it. :bag

canadiyank
09-12-2012, 10:17 PM
:poke

Blue-EyedLady
09-12-2012, 10:22 PM
She's been talking about making this for a YEAR. She even wrote out the recipe last summer, suggesting that *I* make it, since I had a surplus of yellow squash. Then, when I never made it, she was going to take my squash and do it for me, except that I don't have much this year.

All I know is that it has ACV in it, and I'm not a huge fan of ACV. :duck (I'll be turning in my "crunchy" card now... :shifty) Do I have to eat it? No one else in my house will touch it for sure, although DH asked me how it tastes tonight (assuming that I had dived right in, apparently).

canadiyank
09-12-2012, 10:26 PM
I would try it, but I like relish, even if I don't care for zucchini that much. :think I'd try it on a sandwich or a hot dog. I'd also do it to be polite. If you hate it at least you can say you tried it and thank her.

Macky
09-12-2012, 10:33 PM
What is ACV?

Blue-EyedLady
09-12-2012, 10:35 PM
I don't really eat hot dogs or sandwiches due to our complicated food allergies.

I told DH that I'd try it if he did. He said "My mom knows I don't like relish. :shrug Maybe tomorrow."

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

What is ACV?

Apple Cider Vinegar

Blue-EyedLady
09-13-2012, 04:58 PM
I tried it. It's sweet. I'm still not sure what I'd want to use it with. It's too sweet for dinnner, not sweet enough for dessert, kwim?
Posted via Mobile Device

Iarwain
09-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Pair it with something savory or salty. Do you do eggs? It might be good on an omelet.

Blue-EyedLady
09-13-2012, 05:16 PM
We're allergic to eggs, unfortunately. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Iarwain
09-13-2012, 05:20 PM
:-/

dakotablue
09-14-2012, 08:52 AM
:-/ I've never had relish on anything other than hots dogs and tuna. :shrug3

StumblinMama
09-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Try it with pork. I love cranberry sauce with pork. The sweetness works.

ETA: :doh I just remembered that you might eat kosher. Ignore that if you do.

Blue-EyedLady
09-14-2012, 10:58 AM
We're not kosher, but I don't eat pork. :no I asked MIL what to eat it with, and she said pork chops, sausages, hamburgers, and tuna fish. None of those things are in regular rotation at our house except tuna, which we eat only occasionally because of the mercury content.. :shrug
Posted via Mobile Device

dakotablue
09-14-2012, 01:30 PM
We're not kosher, but I don't eat pork. :no I asked MIL what to eat it with, and she said pork chops, sausages, hamburgers, and tuna fish. None of those things are in regular rotation at our house except tuna, which we eat only occasionally because of the mercury content.. :shrug
Posted via Mobile Device

Chicken hotdogs?

Blue-EyedLady
09-14-2012, 01:36 PM
I make them for DS1, but I don't really care for them. :shrug

I tried the relish today with chicken patties and also with tilapia. Meh. :shrug I think I'm just not a relish person. I think I'll try freezing the relish and just use it to make tartar sauce and the occasional tuna salad.