PDA

View Full Version : making a drawstring for longies

houseforjoy
08-27-2012, 06:32 AM
so what is your method for making one? links/videos are great!:heart

Tengokujin
08-27-2012, 06:42 AM
I have done three different ways. I've braided together doubled strands of yarn. I've done a crocheted chain. And I've done I-cord--a knitted cord--very easy--google I-cord and you'll find it.

RosalieMarie
08-27-2012, 06:42 AM
I usually do an i-cord. The long way, no gadgets. ;) Sometimes depending on the yarn I'll just braid several strands.

houseforjoy
08-27-2012, 09:23 AM
if you do an icord how many stitches on what size needle. i have done a few and they all turn out so thick:think

RosalieMarie
08-27-2012, 09:30 AM
I usually do 3-4 stitches depending on the thickness of the yarn. On whatever size needle I used to knit the longies, usually 6-8.

BeckaBlue
08-27-2012, 09:30 AM
3-4 stitches for icord

I like to do a crochet chain. Quick and easy.

I also do a twisted cord.

My choice really depends on what I want of the overall look to be. More formal I go for i-cord or twisted, just regular i go for chain. When I did a pr with 3 colors, I did the braid.

Grover
08-27-2012, 11:28 AM
I cord looks neat. I have at times assigned an older sibling [anything over 4 yrs] to finger knit one.:shifty

houseforjoy
08-27-2012, 11:29 AM
how do you finger knit one:?

Grover
08-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Its not as neat and tidy as an Icord.Its one stitch on their finger.Wrap yarn around finger and pass the stitch over.Repeat....

TestifyToLove
09-06-2012, 05:52 AM
When I was making longies, I always preferred to make a crochet drawstring. I would slip stitch it to secure it to the back of the pants so there was no choking hazard, chain the length I wanted, then slip stitch back over it to it was thicker and sturdy. When I got back to the point where I attached it to the pants, I would do another slip stitch to secure it again and then make the second half of the cord and repeat the process.

I've been known to frog drawstrings on pants I purchased specifically so I could do the drawstring *my* way because I don't like a loose drawstring that could be removed and become a choking/strangling hazard.

Grover
09-06-2012, 05:59 AM
I used to stitch mine to the fabric inside at the back

TestifyToLove
09-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Yeah, but that requires you pull out a tapestry needle and either make it bulky with more yarn, or add thread that might wick. Mostly, I'm just lazy and if I can avoid having to pull out a second tool, I'm all over that idea :shifty

cro
09-06-2012, 09:55 AM
I've done i-cord and crochet chain, but my favorite is a spiral braid (http://boondoggleman.com/prj_spiral_braid.htm). Easy to do and it comes out nice and round. :tu