PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Herbalists

JenniferJuniper
08-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I am an aspiring herbalist, and have only started putting together my herbal medicine cabinet.
I would love to talk to some other herbalists and maybe swap recipes/ideas/health opninions!

Peace,
- Jenny

JoEllen
08-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Hiya! :)

shekinah
08-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Not an herbalist, but interested. I wrote up a list the other day of things I would like to start an herbal medicine cabinet for us.

What kind of things do you have so far?

Ima LeShalosh
08-20-2012, 10:21 PM
:peace My herbal pantry is needing some love and new recipes

cro
08-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Poke Jadeswan. ;)

pastelsummer
08-21-2012, 12:01 AM
I am :cup while we wait!

JenniferJuniper
08-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Well, as I've said I'm just starting, but I've made natural vicks vapour rub, those decongestant shower disks; and have the ingredients on order to make Elderberry syrup, Echinacea Tincture, Healing Herbal Salve and a Nettle infusion.

I really want to make Calendula lotion and some oil infusions.

I'm trying to really ease myself into this as it can seem overwhelming.
The hardest part was finding local sources - you americans are so lucky to be able to use sources like MountainRoseHerbs and BulkHerbs.com - the shipping to canada on a 0.5lbs bag of $7.00 herbs is $27.00!!

I've had to dig around locally to find the herbs I need, and the beeswax. :)

- Jenny

JJsMom
08-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Jadeswan's Herbal Course would be perfect for that! She has it all laid out and gives recipes and tips on building up your herbal remedy kit. :tu

newday
08-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Just FYI - The Bulk Herb Store is in association with the Pearl family. I DO NOT support them any more. and if you continue to do so you should feel really guilty :shifty

I make herbal infusions throughout the winter. Lots.
We end up using a lot of mullien, echinacea, and elderberry mixed with tasty things like mint and stevia (herb).
I make tinctures and use them a lot, mostly because they are so easy :shifty but they can be quite effective.

In our first aid helps we have plantain, comfrey and yarrow. Sometimes I use goldenseal powder, tincture or salve. I often use an essential oil on whatever wound if it just needs to be free from germs - they are all good, rosemary, tto, thyme, etc. but i have a thieves mix i use for tons of stuff, mostly 'cause i love the smell :giggle

I have a tincture i use for UTI's which is very effective and always works: it has echinacea, horse grass, corn silk, uva ursi, and marshmallow root. I make up this tincture and keep it at hand for when i feel the slightest twinge of bladder irritation, because i am prone to infection.

i love making salves and usually do some every end of summer - when I have tons of herbs and the weather is starting to dry our skin. I usually use beeswax, olive oil, honey, infused oils. Sometimes I add essential oils, but not lately. I love the rich herby beeswax smell all on it's own. it isn't strong, but very distinctive.

I also make postpartum herbal mixes for mama's sitz baths and peri bottles. :heart they are heavenly. (and oh so simple.)

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

oh, and we use a fair amount of valarian tincture -- my dh is addicted. (well, not really, but he does use it a couple of times a week)

Carini
08-21-2012, 08:08 AM
:cup

newday
08-21-2012, 08:10 AM
oh and I cut and dry lots of thyme and oregano and lavander for steam inhalations in the winter also.

Aisling
08-21-2012, 08:19 AM
:popcorn

Just a dabbler who's taken a course or two and read lots. :heart

Just FYI - The Bulk Herb Store is in association with the Pearl family. I DO NOT support them any more. and if you continue to do so you should feel really guilty

:spit :shifty :yes :shifty

Rosemountainherbs is much better, anyway. :giggle

greengirl19
08-21-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm working on it. I've made a good number of things. All variety of teas, syrups, some infused oils, and a few tinctures. And I'm working on jadeswan's herbal course :yes I've ordered from mountain rose a couple times and grow some things myself (calendula is particularly easy). I actually just finished a batch of elderberry syrup because we had run out. Most of my daily herbing is tea/infusions.

shekinah
08-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Well, as I've said I'm just starting, but I've made natural vicks vapour rub, those decongestant shower disks; and have the ingredients on order to make Elderberry syrup, Echinacea Tincture, Healing Herbal Salve and a Nettle infusion.

I really want to make Calendula lotion and some oil infusions.

I'm trying to really ease myself into this as it can seem overwhelming.
The hardest part was finding local sources - you americans are so lucky to be able to use sources like MountainRoseHerbs and BulkHerbs.com - the shipping to canada on a 0.5lbs bag of $7.00 herbs is $27.00!!

I've had to dig around locally to find the herbs I need, and the beeswax. :)

- JennyYa, the shipping is ridiculous at mountain rose, but I just make sure to put in a huge bulk order to make it worth it.

I want to make tinctures from white willow bark (pain relief/headache relief), valerian root (sleep aid), elderberries (immune support), ginger root (nausea for DH motion sickness, might put some in capsules too for easier travel), and then I want some hops to make a sleep sachet to hang by my pillow. I have calendula, comfrey, plantain, beeswax, and sweet almond and coconut oils to make a salve.

I'm interested in mixing herbs but that's where I'm clueless. Like MRH has an "allercare" tincture for an extraordinary price that I want to make for DH but have no idea where to begin for proportions or if you use all the ingredients equal strength, etc.

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

oh and I cut and dry lots of thyme and oregano and lavander for steam inhalations in the winter also.

How do you do your steam inhalations.. just in the shower or in boiling water or?

MercyInDisguise
08-21-2012, 09:14 AM

Dh and I are a couple of nurses, trying to move in the holistic direction for treating ailments and such, so I would love to read more.

mamajane
08-21-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm just starting this year. I was/am really inspired by Maria treben's book "Health Through God's Pharmacy". The individual herb sections are available here:
http://mariatrebenherbs.com/
I liked that some of the things were growing right in my yard already! (mallow and dandelion0. And others growing wild in the area, such as plantain. I tried to grow a lot of herbs from seed this year with pretty much no success and will only start seeds outdoors next year, and before hot weather sets in. I do have lots of calendula growing from starts I got through freecycle and a comfrey growing from a root I ordered. I have several oils infusing in the backyard right now, a few calendula (a combination of fresh and dry flowers) comfrey (fresh leaves and dried root) plantain, and a combination with comfrey, calendula, lemon balm, plantain...and maybe something else for all around first aid. I hope to make salves from all the oils for user friendliness. :)

JenLovie
08-21-2012, 09:26 AM
I am slowly growing out herbal medicine cabinet. We use essential oils regularly and I'm working to expand my knowledge.

JenniferJuniper
08-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Jadeswan's Herbal Course would be perfect for that! She has it all laid out and gives recipes and tips on building up your herbal remedy kit. :tu

That sounds awesome, will I be able to find it by googling it?

Do you ladies tend to grow then dry the majority of the herbs you use, or do you tend to buy them?
I would really love some marshmellow root, but I just can't find a provider yet (or the plant!) ;)
It can be hard not to get discouraged.

Peace,
- Jenny

newday
08-21-2012, 10:16 AM
How do you do your steam inhalations.. just in the shower or in boiling water or?

i actually use an old rice cooker on an extention cord and we have a little teepee we use to make our steam room. we try to make it fun for the littles. my youngest actually HATES steam inhalations and I have to hold him while he thrashes and screams :( it isn't easy and I am not recommending a rice cooker with simmering water with toddlers who try to get away from you :no but I have done it :bag (i will probably go to jail or something if he gets burnt... then there will be new laws made, etc...)
otoh, when we all had pneumonia last year, we had Siah do the steam tent two to three times a day, and he stayed healthier than any of the rest of us. :phew.

That sounds awesome, will I be able to find it by googling it?

Do you ladies tend to grow then dry the majority of the herbs you use, or do you tend to buy them?
I would really love some marshmellow root, but I just can't find a provider yet (or the plant!) ;)
It can be hard not to get discouraged.

Peace,
- Jenny

i grow them when they are easy, i purchase them when they aren't.

shaslove
08-21-2012, 10:18 AM
:popcorn

Where would I find a recipie/ingredients for elderberry syrup? We drink it a lot and its expensive.

wisdomjourney
08-21-2012, 10:23 AM
:cup I would love to do more of this... Jadeswan's course sounds really interesting. :poke

Lily
08-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Jadeswan's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jadeswan-Herbals/318433861526060)
Her herbal course (http://www.jadeswanherbals.com/online-herbal-course.html)

mamajane
08-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I do have a couple of questions about infusing oils in the sun. Does anyone know a rule of thumb for how many weeks to let them infuse? I wonder if it's different for roots vs leaves, or fresh vs dried materials. I'm also wondering if there's any reason not to pour just enough oil in a jar to cover the calendula blooms I have each day, adding to the same jar daily.

Hopetobe
08-21-2012, 10:28 AM

JenniferJuniper
08-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Here's my recipe for my decongestant shower disks in case anyone is interested!

http://smalltownhippies.blogspot.com/2012/08/diy-decongestant-shower-disks.html

shekinah
08-21-2012, 12:20 PM
That looks cool- thanks!

JenniferJuniper
08-21-2012, 01:10 PM
So I just finished making my homemade vapor-rub, we're going through it like crazy with all our sinus trouble! It was super easy, basically just EO's EVOO, and beeswax. :)

I'll post pic/recipe soon. :heart

Peace,
- Jenny

Damselfly
08-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Here I am! How did I miss a thread about herbs? :D:heart Thanks for the poke, Krissy. :)

I do have a couple of questions about infusing oils in the sun. Does anyone know a rule of thumb for how many weeks to let them infuse? I wonder if it's different for roots vs leaves, or fresh vs dried materials. I'm also wondering if there's any reason not to pour just enough oil in a jar to cover the calendula blooms I have each day, adding to the same jar daily.

Theoretically I leave them for two weeks in the sun but in reality I've done longer (four weeks or so) with perfectly fine results. I use the same length of time for dried and fresh material. I just use 1/3 the amount dried material as I would have used fresh. I haven't made a root-infused oil but I believe the time frame would be the same. Roots are trickier because of water content so I would only use dried root for a solar-infused oil. You could probably do an infused oil with fresh root simmered on the stove. but you would probably need to cover it with cloth instead of a lid for a while to allow the water to evaporate.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

I'm interested in mixing herbs but that's where I'm clueless. Like MRH has an "allercare" tincture for an extraordinary price that I want to make for DH but have no idea where to begin for proportions or if you use all the ingredients equal strength, etc.

I suggest buying the herbs you want to use and experimenting with mixing small batches. As long as you stick with gentle herbs, you should be fine playing with proportions. Learn about each individual herb and its main functions in the formula. Decide what part you want each herb to play---for example, elder for immune support, nettle to strengthen the liver, etc. Of course some herbs will play more than one part. Elder, for example, is also used to combat upper respiratory congestion. Taste each herb individually to get a feel for them and how they will work in the blend. Taste doesn't matter nearly as much with tinctures but it is really important with teas so if you are making a tea you will want to include a pleasant-tasting herb such as spearmint or rooibos to make the tea more palatable.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

I buy a lot and grow a lot. I'm trying to move towards growing more and more of my own herbs as time goes by. I have an especial fondness for and faith in the remedy I grew myself in my own yard. :heart What I can't grow I buy from MRH. I also carefully wildcraft some herbs. My brother and SIL have given me permission to forage on their land and some herbs such as plantain, dandelion, wild lettuce and yellow dock grow wild in my yard.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

I'm also wondering if there's any reason not to pour just enough oil in a jar to cover the calendula blooms I have each day, adding to the same jar daily.

I missed this. Yes, you can do that. I've done it before and it turned out fine. The only issue is the oil is a little more likely to go rancid since there is more exposure to oxygen.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Here's one of my herbal tea recipes. I call it Tummy Tea because my kids ask for it whenever they have a tummy ache.

Tummy Tea

2 parts spearmint (Mentha spicata)
2 parts catnip (Nepeta cataria)
1 part thyme (Thymus vulgaris)
1 part fennel (Foeniculum vulgare)
1 part lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)

Use 2 teaspoons tea blend to every 1 cup boiling water. Cover and steep approximately 7 minutes. Serve warm.

JenniferJuniper
08-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks so much for the tummy tea! It looks awesome! :D

mamajane
08-22-2012, 06:54 AM
Theoretically I leave them for two weeks in the sun but in reality I've done longer (four weeks or so) with perfectly fine results. I use the same length of time for dried and fresh material. I just use 1/3 the amount dried material as I would have used fresh.
:think So, you mean, you don't just pour in the oil until it covers the herbs when using dried? You add more oil?

I missed this. Yes, you can do that. I've done it before and it turned out fine. The only issue is the oil is a little more likely to go rancid since there is more exposure to oxygen.

Yeah, that what I was thinking. So maybe I'll just do a few days' worth at a time so I can get the jar filled up quickly.

Do you know if there's any reason not to use calendula leaves as well in sun infused oil? The only info I found online about making calendula oil was all about the blossoms :think but I know the juice of the leaves is useful. Maybe there have too great a moisture content? I'd like to make my mom some calendula salve for her recurring skin cancer spots and it seems like the leaves would be good to have in that.

Damselfly
08-22-2012, 09:32 AM
:think So, you mean, you don't just pour in the oil until it covers the herbs when using dried? You add more oil?

Here's what I do: When using fresh herbs I fill a jar with the plant material until it's full enough to be springy but not super packed. Then I fill it with oil. When using dried herbs I only fill the jar about 1/3 full with plant material and then fill it the rest of the way with oil. Either way I poke with a chopstick towards the end of filling the jar to let any air bubbles out. Then I cover it and place it in the sun.

Yeah, that what I was thinking. So maybe I'll just do a few days' worth at a time so I can get the jar filled up quickly. Good idea! :yes

Do you know if there's any reason not to use calendula leaves as well in sun infused oil? The only info I found online about making calendula oil was all about the blossoms :think but I know the juice of the leaves is useful. Maybe there have too great a moisture content? I'd like to make my mom some calendula salve for her recurring skin cancer spots and it seems like the leaves would be good to have in that.

No, there's no reason not to use the leaves. A lot of times one part of a plant is more potent or believed to be more potent so only that part is used. I've done various substitutions with plant parts with gratifying success. The only thing is to make sure the part you are using is beneficial and is not poisonous if you are taking it internally or irritating to the skin if you are using it externally. Calendula leaves are both useful and shouldn't be irritating so they should be fine. That sounds like a great experiment.

mamajane
08-23-2012, 02:37 PM
I was looking up Rosemary Essential oil in salves because I wanted to add some for scent (it's the only EO besides clove that I ever have). And I found this. Perfect!
http://misspattys.com/herbal/painremedy/rosemary.html
All of these "feel good" benefits of essential oil of rosemary as a result of its penetrating and circulating nervine effects are just an added bonus. Essential Oil of Rosemary was specifically chosen for Miss Patty's Herbal Pain Remedy due to its pain relieving properties when applied to the site of pain. On the surface of the skin and into the deeper layers of skin and muscle tissues, essential oil of rosemary has an analgesic (pain relieving) effect. It is indicated for arthritis and rheumatic aches and pains. As an anti-inflammatory, essential oil of rosemary can help alleviate swollen, aching joints and sore muscles, as well as sprains and strains. It reduces fluid build-up via its rubefacient ability to increase blood flow to an area, relieving inflammation and congestion. Increased blood flow to an area brings relaxing warmth to it, while at the same time, has an anti-pyretic (excess heat removing, fever reducing) effect as a result of allowing the blood to remove any toxins or fluid building up at the site of congestion. For headaches, Miss Patty's Herbal Pain Remedy can be rubbed into the temples. Cold feet or tired, weak legs can benefit from a stimulating rub of rosemary essential oil contained in this healing salve. Essential oil of rosemary measures a 4.3 on the Antiseptic Values chart. In comparison, phenol, a synthetic antiseptic which has served as the reference for measurement, is a 5.6; the lower the number, the stronger the anti-microbial effect. So rosemary essential oil is considered to be an effective anti-bacterial. It is also an astringent, meaning that it has a contracting effect on tissues, thereby reducing surface secretions and discharges.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

When using dried herbs I only fill the jar about 1/3 full with plant material and then fill it the rest of the way with oil. Either way I poke with a chopstick towards the end of filling the jar to let any air bubbles out. Then I cover it and place it in the sun.Is that because the resulting oil would be too strong if the jar was full or dried material or because the dried material may absorb more oil and them not be well covered?

No, there's no reason not to use the leaves.
Calendula leaves are both useful and shouldn't be irritating so they should be fine. That sounds like a great experiment.Thanks! I added some today. :)

Theoretically I leave them for two weeks in the sun but in reality I've done longer (four weeks or so) with perfectly fine results. It's funny, I think I was naturally thinking "the longer, the better" (stronger) I guess the risk of leaving it too long would be greater chance of it going rancid, right?

Has anyone bought 100 grams of Swedish Bitters and made a big batch? I'd like to do that when I feel like I have the money. The Swedish Bitters information and antecdotal evidence in the Maria Treben books is really inspiring! Even including eyesight being saved and hearing restored! That section of her book is free for reading on this page: http://naturalherbalremedy.com/

Damselfly
08-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Is that because the resulting oil would be too strong if the jar was full or dried material or because the dried material may absorb more oil and them not be well covered?

I think mostly its simply unnecessary but there is the possibility it could absorb too much oil as well.
It's funny, I think I was naturally thinking "the longer, the better" (stronger) I guess the risk of leaving it too long would be greater chance of it going rancid, right?

Yes, it's for that reason and also because it's more likely to mold after a longer period of time. If you are making a tincture, that's a totally different issue and you can leave the plant material in for a year if you want. :)

mamajane
08-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Do y'all use some kind of preservative when you make salve? What do you use, vitamin E oil? I'm ready to make my first salve, but don't have vit E or anything else for preserving...Not sure I if should spend more money...wonder can/should I do without...

Hope nobody minds all the questions.:) I'm excited to have seen this thread since I'm just starting to use the herbs I started growing this year.

Damselfly
08-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Do y'all use some kind of preservative when you make salve? What do you use, vitamin E oil? I'm ready to make my first salve, but don't have vit E or anything else for preserving...Not sure I if should spend more money...wonder can/should I do without...

I don't use one and have never had a problem. I use good quality beeswax and olive oil. I find the herbs themselves seem to help preserve the salve for up to about a year. I do keep salves in a cool place when I'm not planning to use them soon. Our house gets quite hot in summer so I use the refrigerator but that's not absolutely necessary.

mamajane
08-23-2012, 06:37 PM
I don't use one and have never had a problem. I use good quality beeswax and olive oil. I find the herbs themselves seem to help preserve the salve for up to about a year. I do keep salves in a cool place when I'm not planning to use them soon. Our house gets quite hot in summer so I use the refrigerator but that's not absolutely necessary.
Great!! So glad to herar that I won't be setting myself for spoiling salves by not using preservative. Thank you. :)

NeshamaMama
08-23-2012, 08:59 PM

Since I started Jadeswan's herbals course I've been playing with herbs a lot (love Mountain Rose Herbs for the bulk orders! :rockon) and loving being able to mix and make my own. :yes We do a lot of infusions and teas, and I want to start trying some tinctures and salves. (For some reason the salves are intimidating me! I don't know why! :scratch) We recently treated my dd's strep throat with H.E.M.P. tincture and I'd really like to be able to make that on my own since I'm extremely prone to strep throat and it seemed so effective.

Someone asked about making elderberry syrup - I use a recipe that ReedleBeetle posted here a while back. It's been a few months since I made any so I don't have it off the top of my head, but maybe do a search by username. It is SO easy! Not to mentioned a TINY fraction of the cost of buying it premade!

JenniferJuniper
08-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Whoo! Just got this in the mail today! My first kit/course. I am so excited to start - first thing I did was run out to buy vodka. lol! My husband looked so confused when I came home with a big bottle of vodka, and I'm not sure, but I don't think he believes me when I say: "tinctures" :giggle

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/294398_10100206903845735_507271406_n.jpg

Peace,
- Jenny

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

I'm also thinking of taking this home study course by Rosemary Gladstar, from Sage Mountain.
I've heard wonderful things about it - does anyone else enjoy her books/info?

http://shop.sagemountain.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

mamajane
08-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Whoo! Just got this in the mail today! My first kit/course. I am so excited to start - first thing I did was run out to buy vodka. lol! My husband looked so confused when I came home with a big bottle of vodka, and I'm not sure, but I don't think he believes me when I say: "tinctures" :giggle

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/294398_10100206903845735_507271406_n.jpg

Cool! I haven't bought vodka yet. Not sure if I've ever been in a liquor store, come to think of it.:giggle
I've brought some of my oils in a drained them, but haven't made the salve yet. The store only had 2 oz jars, and now I want 1 oz jars so I can give away smaller amounts:giggle. I'm tempted to pour it in the 2 oz jars for now and then try to re-melt it into 1 oz because the 1 oz jar store is kinda far...but I'm sure that would be a real mess and I should just be patient and wait!

Damselfly
08-27-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm also thinking of taking this home study course by Rosemary Gladstar, from Sage Mountain.
I've heard wonderful things about it - does anyone else enjoy her books/info?

Rosemary Gladstar's Recipes for Vibrant Health is one of my favorite herbals. Her course is very detailed and very informative. For me, the only downside was I didn't get the kind of personal feedback and support I was hoping for. :shrug3 It's a really good course, however. It is at your own pace but does require significant amounts of time and even if you have a fairly well-stocked herbal pantry you will be buying a lot of herbs. Rosemary's Garden (http://rosemarysgarden.com/) is a good place to get smaller amounts of herbs at a reasonable price. I use MRH for herbs I use in quantity but it's cheaper to order smaller amounts of experiment herbs.

JenniferJuniper
08-27-2012, 07:02 PM
So you did the course? Awesome!
It did look intense, but that's what I'm most interested in. A lot of the smaller courses I looked at, I found I could get the equal amount of information through books and free information online.
I bought the kit because it came with all the supplies, as most home courses don't include materials.

How long did the course take you approx.?

Thanks for the link to the herb site. I'm praying the shipping to Canada isn't as crazy as MRH. :) oh sheesh..$23.00 shipping on a $3.00 item..lovely. :(

shekinah
08-27-2012, 07:47 PM

haha! What strength of vodka did you get? I keep reading stuff online that you can't get 80-100 proof in Canada, that the highest we have is 40. I don't drink alcohol and am going to be soooo clueless walking into a liquor store for the first time. Just wondering if the 40 thing is true, and I'll be laughed at asking for anything higher, or if it's easy enough to walk in and find it :p

Damselfly
08-27-2012, 08:31 PM
SoHow long did the course take you approx.? I haven't finished it yet because I got bogged down when we were tight and I couldn't afford the supplies. It takes several months even with being pretty rapid about mailing the homework back. It would probably be shorter sending it back by email rather than snail mail. It took at least a month to get a lesson back after sending in the homework, sometimes as long as six weeks.

Thanks for the link to the herb site. I'm praying the shipping to Canada isn't as crazy as MRH. :) oh sheesh..$23.00 shipping on a $3.00 item..lovely. :(
Yeah, MRH isn't worth it unless you buy in bulk. Shipping is usually at least $10 even for a small order to where I live here in the States but once I order a large order the shipping only goes up a few dollars from that. My mom, SIL and I usually go in together and that makes the shipping much more reasonable.

JenniferJuniper
08-27-2012, 08:44 PM
haha! What strength of vodka did you get? I keep reading stuff online that you can't get 80-100 proof in Canada, that the highest we have is 40. I don't drink alcohol and am going to be soooo clueless walking into a liquor store for the first time. Just wondering if the 40 thing is true, and I'll be laughed at asking for anything higher, or if it's easy enough to walk in and find it :p

I got 40%, I did look for higher, but it was all I could find! And I went to a big LCBO, so that's what I'll use..I hope that's not a problem with my recipes.. :scratch

- Jenny

shekinah
08-27-2012, 09:10 PM
I think I saw a comment from MRH on their youtube channel that 40 would still work and it doesn't matter, but I didn't understand why then they recommend higher if anything will do. Any insight, Jadeswan? Does it affect the potency? That's what I would assume.

Damselfly
08-27-2012, 10:22 PM
I use 80 proof for my tinctures. There are some herbalists who don't feel anything less than 100 proof is strong enough and yet I've had good results. I also read about a herbalist from France who only used wine and said in his tradition they believed anything stronger than wine was too strong. :shrug3 Personally, I feel fresh, quality ingredients and care on the part of the herbalist are the most important elements.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

I got 40%, I did look for higher, but it was all I could find! And I went to a big LCBO, so that's what I'll use..I hope that's not a problem with my recipes.. :scratch

- Jenny

You got 40%? Because that is the same as 80 proof.

JenniferJuniper
08-28-2012, 07:08 AM
I use 80 proof for my tinctures. There are some herbalists who don't feel anything less than 100 proof is strong enough and yet I've had good results. I also read about a herbalist from France who only used wine and said in his tradition they believed anything stronger than wine was too strong. :shrug3 Personally, I feel fresh, quality ingredients and care on the part of the herbalist are the most important elements.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

You got 40%? Because that is the same as 80 proof.

:phew That's good news, I got all antsy there for a moment.

I'm starting my echinacea tincture today, and don't want to run out for more vodka!:giggle

Peace,
- Jenny

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

Do any of you wildcraft? Right now I'm hunting for skullcap, it should grow locally, but is more of a wetlands plant so I'm foraging around in ditches for it ((no worries, not in a city, but way out in the country ..)) Has anyone else been wildcrafting for their remedies?

Also I don't know how many of you have hear of Susun Weed, but she's quite a popular herbalist and her books are very well known, and while she tends to 'over-mysticise' herbology, she's offering an "ABC Of Herbalism" course, which seems much more practicable and less "commune with you inner green goddess and throw some fairies in there." :giggle
http://www.susunweed.com/Correspondence-Course-ABC.htm

Thoughts?

mamajane
08-28-2012, 07:12 AM
Do any of you wildcraft? Right now I'm hunting for skullcap, it should grow locally, but is more of a wetlands plant so I'm foraging around in ditches for it ((no worries, not in a city, but way out in the country ..)) Has anyone else been wildcrafting for their remedies?

Also I don't know how many of you have hear of Susun Weed, but she's quite a popular herbalist and her books are very well known, and while she tends to 'over-mysticise' herbology, she's offering an "ABC Of Herbalism" course, which seems much more practicable and less "commune with you inner green goddess and throw some fairies in there." :giggle

Thoughts?
I have wildcrafted some plantain, and got dandelion and mallow out of mine and the neighbor's yard. My dh and kids said they saw some comfrey growing in a natural park near here so I hope to go fill a big mason jar there since my supply from my one plant is limited. More than harvesting leaves and such I've mostly dug up plants to grow at home (mullein and plantain and yarrow, and red clover).
I remember I met Susun Weed once, What I remember is that she thought that the advice to avoid dairy during a cold because it would make one more mucus-y was bunk ( and I have found this to be true in my own life. I avoided dairy for several years because i had been told it would cause mucus to aggravate the mild asthma I had, but really I eat and drink tons of dairy now and have healthier breathing than ever.) and that what people should really avoid during a cold is citrus since that will cause more mucus. Well, that was all 15 years ago, so it's all IIRC, but I got a favorable impression from that brief encounter. It's good to know that she has some materials that aren't all goddess/fairy-ness.:)

Damselfly
08-28-2012, 08:31 AM

Yeah, I wildcraft. It's a lot of fun. Really the main two considerations are be careful of contamination (too near the road or under power lines, for example) and leaving plenty of plants growing. (Edited to add: Make that three main considerations---proper plant ID! :)) The range considered acceptable is to only take between 10-30%. Of course it's a good idea to learn which plants are rare or endangered in your region and not harvest them at all. You probably already know that though. :)

With wildcrafting I've had superb success finding some plants and yet others which should grow here elude me. Then, sometimes you get really lucky and find a huge field of something rather unusual. I guess that's part of the fun of it.

Thoughts?
I respect Susun Weed a lot. I have taken and completed her ABC of Herbalism course. Yes, it has almost no "new-agey" stuff, although some of her other stuff is more mystical. It has less information in the booklet than I expected and yet I felt it drew me into trying the herbs and truly getting to know them for myself. Be prepared to do a lot of wildcrafting or herb growing because that course requires lots of fresh plant material. :) I feel her most valuable information is her Seven Rivers of Healing paradigm. I listened to a lecture series about it through Herb Mentor but I believe she has a Seven Rivers of Healing course through her Wise Woman University as well.

mamajane
08-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Hey, speaking of wildcrafting, jadeswan, did you say that you use wild lettuce for something?!? Around here it's been kind of on the same level as bindweed for taking over my yard without redeeming qualities.:giggle That is the stuff with the small yellow flowers at the top of the stalk that become little puffballs like dandelions and that leaves your hands sticky and stinky when you pull it up, right?

Damselfly
08-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Hey, speaking of wildcrafting, jadeswan, did you say that you use wild lettuce for something?!? Around here it's been kind of on the same level as bindweed for taking over my yard without redeeming qualities.:giggle That is the stuff with the small yellow flowers at the top of the stalk that become little puffballs like dandelions and that leaves your hands sticky and stinky when you pull it up, right?

There are two plants commonly called wild lettuce. One group usually called wild lettuce is the Lactuca (http://www.eattheweeds.com/the-lettuce-labyrinth-sorting-out-species-2/) family. The other, the Sonchus family, is also called sow thistle. I eat sow thistles. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heV9TnfGfWM) I use the sap of wild lettuce (Lactuca spp.) to get rid of warts. It is also considered beneficial for stress and anxiety so I'm making a tincture with it. I haven't tried it out yet though.

mamajane
08-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the links! I think it's Lactuca Serriola L. that's in our yard. We've got a few warts that could use removing. I think we'll give it a try.

JenniferJuniper
08-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Anyone make elderberry syrup? and if so, have you found it very effective? It's on my 'to-do' list, but I'd like to know how potent it is. :)
Thanks!
- Jenny

JenLovie
08-29-2012, 06:20 AM
I haven't made elderberry syrup, but I currently have elderberry tincture in process. I would like to make elderberry syrup as well. I've had great experience with elderberry losenges and am excited to make my own stuff.

newday
08-29-2012, 06:41 AM

yeah, mine have never gone rancid either, but maybe that is because i generally make small batches which we use up within a year. :think

i think maybe you were thinking of 40% not 40proof? here is an accurate, interesting description of the measurments http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholic_proof
we make beer and mead here and have to measure specific gravity and it is all very interesting. :glasses

i have used Everclear, vodka, and brandy for herbal tinctures for different reasons.
I like the brandy with elderberry tincture because it tastes better :bag
i think the Everclear is better for potency, but i was taught that i need a certain water content for dried herbs for a tincture which is why i started with vodka. I have decided that i don't really agree with the need for the higher water content.
My budget will probably be my guide for my tinctures for the next few months.

JenniferJuniper
08-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Well, I threw together my echinacea tincture today, and it takes a fair amount of vodka, I was kinda surprised. I need to keep topping it up to cover the plant material, it keeps sucking it all up!!

Peace,
- Jenny

mamajane
08-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Well, I threw together my echinacea tincture today, and it takes a fair amount of vodka, I was kinda surprised. I need to keep topping it up to cover the plant material, it keeps sucking it all up!!

Peace,
- Jenny
Awesome! Tell us how it turns out.

I made my first salve today. :) It was so easy.

Damselfly
08-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Anyone make elderberry syrup? and if so, have you found it very effective? It's on my 'to-do' list, but I'd like to know how potent it is. :)
Thanks!
- Jenny

I've made it. It was fine but I didn't have much chance for comparison since we rarely get sick. I didn't find it to help allergies, however, but I've since found elderflowers can be helpful for that.

JenniferJuniper
08-30-2012, 06:36 PM
So I'm starting to harvest dandelion root - how necessary is it for me to make a decoction of it?
Is it really to hard to just make as a regular infusion?

Thanks!
- Jenny

Damselfly
08-30-2012, 06:49 PM
So I'm starting to harvest dandelion root - how necessary is it for me to make a decoction of it?
Is it really to hard to just make as a regular infusion?

Thanks!
- Jenny

An infusion won't extract as many of the good properties. Decoctions really aren't that hard. I use about 1 1/4 cups water per teaspoon of dried root or tablespoon fresh root. Just get a low simmer going, put on a lid and set a timer for 15 minutes. Kind of keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get going too high and strain it when the timer goes off. That's it. :)

JenniferJuniper
08-30-2012, 06:52 PM
An infusion won't extract as many of the good properties. Decoctions really aren't that hard. I use about 1 1/4 cups water per teaspoon of dried root or tablespoon fresh root. Just get a low simmer going, put on a lid and set a timer for 15 minutes. Kind of keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get going too high and strain it when the timer goes off. That's it. :)

Whoa! The book I was reading said to simmer for 45 min to an hour!! :hunh But I bet there were decocting more than a tsp/tbs. :)

Whats the best way to dry root? Should I chop it up before? After? :shrug3

Thanks Jadeswan, I really REALLY appreciate having you on this thread! :D

Peace,
- Jenny

Damselfly
08-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Whoa! The book I was reading said to simmer for 45 min to an hour!! :hunh But I bet there were decocting more than a tsp/tbs. :)

Whats the best way to dry root? Should I chop it up before? After? :shrug3

Thanks Jadeswan, I really REALLY appreciate having you on this thread! :D

You're surely welcome! :)

Well, as far as the decoction time there is always a fairly generous range that's acceptable. Twenty minutes seems to be pretty standard among many herbalists, however, and it always has seemed to be effective to me.

Yes, I would chop up the root before drying. Otherwise, it will take forever to dry, possibly mold and be really hard to cut up after drying. Ideally, just brush the dirt off. If your soil is crusty like mine you may need to wash them. If you do you can dry them with a towel, slice them fairly thinly and lay them out in a basket in a dry, well-ventilated place out of direct sunlight.

JenniferJuniper
08-30-2012, 07:13 PM
You're surely welcome! :)

Well, as far as the decoction time there is always a fairly generous range that's acceptable. Twenty minutes seems to be pretty standard among many herbalists, however, and it always has seemed to be effective to me.

Yes, I would chop up the root before drying. Otherwise, it will take forever to dry, possibly mold and be really hard to cut up after drying. Ideally, just brush the dirt off. If your soil is crusty like mine you may need to wash them. If you do you can dry them with a towel, slice them fairly thinly and lay them out in a basket in a dry, well-ventilated place out of direct sunlight.

:hug Thank you! I will do that! After ypu've dried, how do you store it? I have some glass containers that might work, but I feel like I'm still afraid they'd go moldy without any ventilation.. :think

I also just found a stash of catnip I'll be harvesting too - and I think I finally found a Canadian herbal supplier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for shipping, can I get a whoo hoo?! :thumbsup

Peace,
- Jenny

mamajane
08-30-2012, 07:33 PM
I think I finally found a Canadian herbal supplier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for shipping, can I get a whoo hoo?! :thumbsup

Peace,
- Jenny
whoo hoo!! :)

Damselfly
08-30-2012, 08:11 PM
:hug Thank you! I will do that! After ypu've dried, how do you store it? I have some glass containers that might work, but I feel like I'm still afraid they'd go moldy without any ventilation.. :think
Once they feel crispy dry you can store them in paper bags for a few weeks and then, unless your weather is awfully humid, you should be able to store them in glass after that.
I also just found a stash of catnip I'll be harvesting too - and I think I finally found a Canadian herbal supplier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for shipping, can I get a whoo hoo?! :thumbsup

:tu

JenniferJuniper
09-01-2012, 05:53 AM
Thanks so much!
So I've been invited to my cousin-in-law's baby shower, her whole family is wealthy and french-canadian, and I know me my MIL (homeopathic dr) and SIL (vegan cook) are going to stick out like sore thumbs at this Jersey Shore-esque party, so we've decided to embrace our natural hippie, and try not to fit in (since we know we won't.)
ANYWAY, all this to say: I would love some recipes for:

Herbal belly-butter
pregnancy tea
9 month tea (with rasp. leaves)
nursing tea

I'm going to make my gift for her instead of spending money on onsies that would probably come from a chain she'd never step foot in. ;)

Thanks!
- Jenny

JenniferJuniper
09-03-2012, 06:00 PM
So I gathered some white birch bark to dry out for tea, but I'm not sure how to prep it.
Do I cut and dry the entire piece of bark or only the soft inner bark??
I tried to google it, but came up short. :shrug

Thanks!
- Jenny

Punkie
09-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks so much!
So I've been invited to my cousin-in-law's baby shower, her whole family is wealthy and french-canadian, and I know me my MIL (homeopathic dr) and SIL (vegan cook) are going to stick out like sore thumbs at this Jersey Shore-esque party, so we've decided to embrace our natural hippie, and try not to fit in (since we know we won't.)
ANYWAY, all this to say: I would love some recipes for:

Herbal belly-butter
pregnancy tea
9 month tea (with rasp. leaves)
nursing tea

I'm going to make my gift for her instead of spending money on onsies that would probably come from a chain she'd never step foot in. ;)

Thanks!
- Jenny

My absolute favorite pregnancy tea is Aviva Jill Romm's recipe. You can find it here (http://www.herbcompanion.com/health/pregnancy-herbs-nourishing-tea.aspx). It is also in her book, which is amazing and I highly recommend.

I haven't posted in this thread yet, but I really love herbalism. I have taken a few courses, mostly specialty trainings to go along with my doula/midwifery studies, and I make remedies for friends and family. :)

mamajane
09-04-2012, 02:58 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows, or as an opinion as to, if an "aqueous extract" of Swedish Bitters would have the same potency as the alcohol extract (not for making, just for buying) ?

newday
09-04-2012, 05:02 PM
to my knowledge an extract with alcohol will always be more potent than a glyceride or water based extract.
there are probably exceptions though i just don't know which ones they are.

Aisling
09-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know have suggestions/resources for making a good elecampane syrup (for cough season)? Elderberry I feel pretty confident in, but, for some reason, the root daunts me. :giggle I'm going to have much better luck getting any amount of it into people in syrup form as opposed to a decoction.

My favorite belly balm recipe is:

2 oz shea butter
2 oz cocoa butter (mmmmmm)
2 oz coconut
2 oz apricot oil (or just double the coconut)
gentle essential oil of your choice (I like lavender or sweet orange)
vanilla (just a few drops)

melt gently in a double boiler until just liquid and stir (I just put a metal mixing bowl over a large pot of boiling water), and then pour into containers. :heart

Lily
09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
I really loved the mama lotion that Jadeswan errr Damselfly gave me when I was pregnant.

JenniferJuniper
09-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Does anyone know have suggestions/resources for making a good elecampane syrup (for cough season)? Elderberry I feel pretty confident in, but, for some reason, the root daunts me. :giggle I'm going to have much better luck getting any amount of it into people in syrup form as opposed to a decoction.

So I'm part of herbmentor.com, a paid, monthly herbalism source, and while it's well worth it (I am learning SO much), they had a recipe and movie for your elecampane syrup - so I'm going to be sneaky-sneaky and post the instructions here for you. So shhhh!! ;)

Simple Elecampane Syrup
Posted on October 3, 2007 in More Articles... by Kylie Loynd

Uses: If you tend to have colds that go right to your chest, Elecampane is a great ally — its expectorant and toning qualities are ideally suited to clearing and strengthening your lungs. Sally King, Director of RavenCroft Garden, and her family use this simple Elecampane syrup as a preventive tonic approaching the winter season. They also take it as a general tonic for improving overall lung function and a specific remedy for colds or flu that involve congested lungs.

1 ounce of dried Elecampane root, cut and sifted
2 cups water
3 teaspoons honey
To find dried Elecampane root:
You can find dried Elecampane root in cut-and-sifted form at your local herbalist or through an online search — try search words "dried Elecampane root."

To make:
Elecampane syrup is made in a two-stage process: a decoction, then a syrup. The instructions appear to be long, but they are very simple to follow.

Decoction: Place 1 ounce of dried root in a medium pot and add 2 cups of water. Bring the root and water mixture to a boil, then simmer until you reduce the water in the pot by half (leaving you with 1 cup of liquid). Check the liquid level after 10 minutes of simmering by pouring the liquid into a measuring cup through a strainer (to allow you to measure without the root material). Continue simmering and checking until your liquid level reaches 1 cup. Then strain off the root. Dilute your decocted liquid by adding an additional cup of water, leaving you with a final amount of 2 cups of decocted liquid.
Intensifying option: To strengthen your decoction, instead of using a second cup of plain water, you can decoct your herb twice. Set aside the first cup of decocted liquid. Then, using the same root material, follow the decoction instructions a second time. This will create a second cup of decocted liquid. Combine the two decocted cups to make your 2-cup final amount. This allows you to continue to extract healing properties from the Elecampane root and combine them to make a more intense base for your syrup.

Syrup: Reheat your 2 cups of decocted liquid in a medium pot and add honey to taste. Sally recommends beginning with 2 teaspoons of honey and, if desired, adding from there. We found that a total of 3 teaspoons of honey made a reasonably sweet syrup, masking the bitterness of the Elecampane root to a level our kids would enjoy. Let the syrup cool and then store it in a jar in the refrigerator.
To Take:
You can take Elecampane syrup a spoonful at a time or add it to a beverage such as hot tea.

Adding additional healing herbs to your syrup:
When you aren’t feeling well, sometimes one more thing to remember — one more bottle to carry — is just one too many. And I know that our kids, who willingly open their mouths for any one remedy, will sometimes inexplicably and emphatically refuse the second. Combining them may save the day. If your respiratory or digestive ailments generally respond well to a specific herb such as Echinacea, you can easily set yourself up to take it at the same time by creating a combination of Elecampane syrup and another herbal tincture. Divide your syrup into smaller jars and add a tincture to one or more of them. (Be sure to leave a few jars filled with only Elecampane syrup, ready to add a tincture later, so you can address any unexpected conditions that may arise.) Label accordingly and store in the refrigerator.

Directions courtesy of Sally King, Director of RavenCroft Garden.

Peace,
- Jenny

JenLovie
09-05-2012, 10:19 AM
What herbs would you buy if you were placing a Frontier order? I want to get some stuff but I have no clue where to start (I already have elderberry tincture going).

mamajane
09-05-2012, 10:26 AM
What herbs would you buy if you were placing a Frontier order? I want to get some stuff but I have no clue where to start (I already have elderberry tincture going).
Hmmm, maybe comfrey and calendula for salves, horehound for lozenges (which I haven't tried making yet)..

What's everyone's favorite remedy for sore throats?

JenniferJuniper
09-05-2012, 11:17 AM

Marshmellow root (I see it being used all the time!)
St. John's Wort
Catnip or Skullcap..

That's all I can think of at the moment! :giggle

Peace,
- Jenny

Aisling
09-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Hmmm, maybe comfrey and calendula for salves, horehound for lozenges (which I haven't tried making yet)..

What's everyone's favorite remedy for sore throats?

Slippery Elm and marshmallow. :heart

mamajane
09-05-2012, 01:45 PM
I saw this chocolate elderberry syrup recipe today and thought of y'all:
http://methowvalleyherbs.blogspot.com/2012/02/indulge-chocolate-syrup-with.html

Punkie
09-05-2012, 02:37 PM
The ones that I use the most often are chamomile, peppermint, spearmint, red raspberry leaves, nettles, alfalfa, oatstraw...

Then, I like having smaller amounts of St. Johns Wort, calendula, elderberries (of course!), lemon balm....

Maybe look at your favorite herbalism books and see which remedies you'd like to prepare. That's how I started building my herbal stash -- with ingredients that I knew that I wanted to use. Herbs are so much better when they're fresh, so I've found that it isn't as worth it for me to stockpile "just in case", because then the remedies don't have the same strength when I get around to using them (if that time ever comes.)