PDA

View Full Version : How do i navigate this (parties/carnivals) HFCS reactions

ValiantJoy07
08-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Over the last year we have cut HFCS (and most corn products) out of our diet. We make our own table syrup (for pancakes) and we limit sugar in general.

My kids on food dyes and HFCS :shiver specifically dd2 it is scary. She is aggressive and miserable. For daaays.

This summer we have been going to lots of family events where they are handing out candy...and birthday parties with goodie bags full of c.r.a.p. :banghead

My kids are getting to an age where they *know* what the stuff is- and don't really understand why they cant have it. I do have a bag of Yummy Earth lollipops for and I try to switch stuff out - but today we were at a party and the girls saw all the stuff in their bag and I had to swap it out (for 1 lollipop each- and there were a lot of candy in there).

I hate that stuff :hissyfit I don't even want them having the organic lollipops that much.

How do I navigate this?

I was telling dh- I feel like with these HFCS reactions we have really swung into the "very different" camp. We are already gluten. And dairy free...now on top of not being able to eat much of anything at parties (though at todays party dh hae baked df/gf cupcakes for the girls :heart so they would have a yummy alternative- and they are GOOD) but ingeneral, my kids cant even enjoy normal childhood fun in their goodie bags. :pout

What do you do?

BlessedBlue
08-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Talk about why we don't eat things like that. Talk about healthy alternatives. Offer substitutes. Give opportunities to "buy" a toy with the candy/contraband (especially useful at Halloween time :shifty.

It is hard. :hug
Posted via Mobile Device

ValiantJoy07
08-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Talk about why we don't eat things like that. Talk about healthy alternatives. Offer substitutes. Give opportunities to "buy" a toy with the candy/contraband (especially useful at Halloween time :shifty.

It is hard. :hug
Posted via Mobile Device

Ah buy a toy...that is a great idea :rockon...have to think on that one. though we don't need any more junky toys either :bag but better than HFCS reactions :yes

BlessedBlue
08-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Yeah, we're swimming in toys here, too. But that's a subject for another thread. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Marzipan
08-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Could be stuff like stickers, crayons and whatnot, that will get used up uickly.

Katigre
08-18-2012, 11:53 AM
I tell them they can't eat xyz b/c of how it affects their bodies, I provide substitutes that they really like, I commiserate when they're frustrated. It's just part of having food sensitivities IMO :shrug.

BlessedBlue
08-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Now that my kids are school-aged, I'm probably going to steer them towards novelty school supplies - for trading fodder at school. :yes
Posted via Mobile Device