PDA

View Full Version : Starting a GF diet and having some issues

mipennsn
08-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Posting a question for my dh with his permission.

This is his FB status this evening
Question for people who are GF, or know anything about it...

I've been mostly GF for about a week now. I got really sick on Gluten last week, after ignoring an intolerance for years. The thing now is, I cant sleep at night, I am "spacy" and dizzy at times, sweat excessively, and it stinks more than usually. Some of the dizziness and spacy feelings go away after I drink sports drinks with electrolytes. Can these be side effects from being GF, and not supplementing correctly?

Anyone have some suggestions on how to help him through these symptoms.

Ima LeShalosh
08-14-2012, 07:53 PM
The detox period can be rough. But he might be feeling better after drinking a sports drink because he may be getting a gluten "fix". Believe it or not, most sports drinks contain "dextrin." Dextrin can be made of wheat. You have to know if that brand is GF or not. Check that out first.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

I should also add, that if the brand is not sporting (no pun intended) wheat in the dextrin, then it is corn based. A LOT of people that are gluten intolerant find that they are corn intolerant as well. So that is just another thought.

mipennsn
08-14-2012, 08:02 PM
The sport drinks seem to be ok from what we are finding online - Sobe and Poweraid. Dh is suspecting he is detoxing and miserable. We were out in the sun today and with his CFS the sun and heat can be an issue anyway.

Ima LeShalosh
08-14-2012, 08:25 PM
The sport drinks seem to be ok from what we are finding online - Sobe and Poweraid. Dh is suspecting he is detoxing and miserable. We were out in the sun today and with his CFS the sun and heat can be an issue anyway.
:think hmm..I just went to a GF, Celiacs board and the consensus is that it claims GF, but there are trace amounts and gluten and are not considered "safe":shrug3 but SoBe is considered to be on the safe list.

If a drink states that it is safe up to 20ppm, then it contains trace amount of gluten but can still be called GF. If your DH is highly sensitive to gluten, then he could still be getting a gluten fix from the powerade. Which, again, would make sense as to why he felt better after drinking the Powerade.

Here are two up to date sites that state the GF claims ...this one has SoBe
http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/Gluten-Free-Beverages/a/Gluten-Free-Energy-Drinks.htm

This one has Powerade
http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/Gluten-Free-Beverages/a/Gluten-Free-Sports-Drinks.htm

When I am detoxing from gluten (which I am currently doing right now), I feel pretty bad. Dizzy and spacey are definitely adjectives I wold use to describe the way I feel detoxing from gluten. My body craves the gluten, and if I slip or have something with hidden gluten, then I pay for it even worse the next day.

HadassahSukkot
08-19-2012, 04:22 AM
I'd skip on the energy drinks entirely and start on some bone broth and soups to help along through the detox. Maybe eating some cabbage and such also?

This seems rather par the course. I reacted that way through every single detox.

emerald
08-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Activated charcoal helps detox symptoms in general.

Garden of Life has a digestive enzyme product that may help, it's called Garden of Life Immune Balance Gluten Freeze.

mipennsn
08-19-2012, 08:50 PM
He has been doing pretty well. "cheating" a little here and there, but overall has cut his gluten intake way, way back. I think he is feeling a little better. The big day he hit the sports drinks we were outside at the fair most of the afternoon.