PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about digitizing movies & music

mommylove
07-24-2012, 10:19 PM
We're old school when it comes to music & movies . . . we still buy CDs & DVDs. But it's become inconvenient enough that I'm ready to make a change, but I don't know what my options are.

AFA electronics go, we have multiple laptops, an iPad, a CD player in the van (duh :giggle) & a portable DVD in the van for the kids. DH has an iPod. Our van does not have a USB port (or whatever) for plugging in an iPod. We mostly listen to music through the laptop at home.

What I want is to buy movies & music once & have it available to all our devices, with the ability to burn a cd or dvd to use in the van.

I've been told that's not possible. If that's true, what's the next best solution?

Codi
07-24-2012, 10:37 PM
I think we are still in an area of needing it all. Unless you have a way to play an ipod or similar in your car, you still need the CD's (whether burned or bought). And for movies, I don't know that there is a way, if you want it available in all places, to only purchase it once. :think

You can do an iPad in the car. Buy one of those screen holders you can attatch to the back of a headrest. Then you don't need the DVD's in the car. :think

Leslie
07-25-2012, 09:14 AM
What if a person only wants to put their DVD's onto their laptop so that when they move from one duty station to another, they don't have to drag a box of movies with them? Is that do-able?

Macky
07-25-2012, 09:32 AM
What you want is illegal here. Not sure of the law in the States. Copying music or a video in any form, even if it's put away as a backup only, is against the new laws in Canada. :-/

mommylove
07-25-2012, 11:36 AM
What you want is illegal here. Not sure of the law in the States. Copying music or a video in any form, even if it's put away as a backup only, is against the new laws in Canada. :-/

Anyone know about the States? I have no intention to disobey the law in this instance. And if that's the case, I'd probably be best off continuing to buy hard copies. :think

rosesnsnails
08-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Well, for the music, you can download the cd's you've purchased to iTunes. That would make the music available for iPods, iPhones and the like. I think there is a limit on how many devices you can download to. :think Maybe 5 or 6 :think

You can burn copies of your cds or music purchased through iTunes. I believe the iTunes license says you can burn cds for your personal use.

As far as DVDs/Bluerays, some come with digital copies that you can download to your computer and watch on digital devices. As long as you have purchased these yourself, you are given license to use them on your digital devices.

Past that, I'm not sure there is a legal way to convert your movies. :think