PDA

View Full Version : Teaching how to crochet.....

Petie
07-22-2012, 12:43 AM
So Justin has serious fine motor skills delays. I'm trying to teach him how to crochet, but he's having major issues holding the hook and getting it back through the loop to even make a chain. Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this easier for him? I'm trying to help him build up some control in his hands. They shake whenever he tries to do fine motor tasks like tying his shoes or using a fork, and even more when he tries to actually write. I need a way to build his confidence because right now, any task that involves fine motor skills makes him nervous and then he ends up saying he can't do anything. HELP, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kiara.I
07-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Crochet might not be the best place to start, then. Or at least, not starting with a chain, which is loose and floppy, and *definitely* not starting with a first row in a chain, which is exceptionally floppy.

What about embroidery? The cloth stays "rigid" in the hoop. What about basic woodworking? Sanding should help. What about doing mosaics? Or weaving?

Now. They shake whenever he tries to do something: what kind of physiotherapy is he getting? *Is* it physiotherapy? Does he have nerve damage? When I look up tremors, there are a number of different varieties, and many of them aren't treatable. So if what he has is, I wonder if maybe trying to force him through doing small motor tasks may not be the most helpful. Like, if it's lack of muscle control because of dis-use, that can be fixed, but if it's lack of muscle control because of inability to direct them, it may not be improvable.

Petie
07-22-2012, 10:08 AM
He has mild Cp due to hypoxia at birth. No one will give him OT because the insurance says its the schools responsibility and the school says its not affecting his learning. The neuro said to challenge him with fine and gross motor tasks so that he learns to make new pathways for them and he learns to cope with his disability. It's extremely frustrating for him because his handwriting is so difficult for him to do. I'm seriously trying anything I can think of to help him gain some control of those muscles. We are homeschooling this year, so I'm on my own.

Embroidery, I don't know how to do. I was teaching him cross stitch but he kept sticking his finger with the needle so he got frustrated. Maybe weaving on one of those boards might be a better place to start? He wants to get better it's just frustrating for both of us.

Kiara.I
07-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Does he colour? Lots and lots of colouring maybe...

If he's willing to work at "baby tasks" in order to improve his co-ordination (and incidentally learn useful skills, but still... ;) ) You can use styrofoam meat trays to sew or embroider on. Wash them well, of course. Use a *blunt* needle (so he won't stick himself) and yarn. Start him off with running stitch, then you can move to back stitch, and other fancier stitches (look them up online, there are lots.) You could pre-punch the holes for him to start with (a small knitting needle works *really* well for that...) or he could punch them himself.

Petie
07-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Thank you!! I would have never thought of that.

Kiara.I
07-22-2012, 02:09 PM
It's how my mom taught me to sew. :giggle I think she might have got the idea from those "learn to sew" things that have cardboard with patterns and holes punched. We ran out of those, she made more using the styrofoam. :tu

StumblinMama
07-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Try plastic canvas with him :yes