PDA

View Full Version : 14 fleeces -- should I buy it??

wisdomjourney
07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
A shepherd is selling 14 fleeces from black-faced and white-faced sheep. Really cheap. Like, $25. I've been wanting to experiment with wool and wool projects, but the fleeces are so expensive that I've avoided buying much. I'm nervous about messing it up and having wasted all my money. Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I buy these? And if I do, can I store them in large trash bags without fear of wee beasties? :giggle And what in tarnation do I do with 14?!?! :shifty

Sundance
07-18-2012, 02:16 PM
$25 for all of them?

What breed are the sheep (unless the white-face is the breed?) Some don't have very nice wool.

Around here, it's pretty much all sent to the landfill, there isn't much of a market, so you can find it pretty cheap.

wisdomjourney
07-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Really? Then why do people raise them? :scratch Are they for slaughter?

I have no idea how to go about judging the quality of a raw fleece. :sigh

I'm heading out there in an hour or two. I'll be doing some internet research in the meantime. :lol

Sundance
07-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Yes, most meat breeds don't have fiber-quality fleece, but they still need to be shorn every year.

But it's probably good to learn on :shrug3 (although I don't know if I'd take all 14!)

Our beds all have organic wool blankets on them that I got for a *really* good price. A friend of mine raises organic lamb, but still has no market for the wool....so she just ships it to the local mill/blanket place w/ conventional wool. But she had them make us blankets for a good price b/c she supplied the wool. And they're nice blankets.....so it *can* be used, despite not coming from a fiber breed, it just won't make a super soft/light fancy yarn or anything.

wisdomjourney
07-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it! :heart I would love some to practice on, but FOURTEEN?? I think they're unwilling to sell unless it is all of them. But I may ask about taking just a few...

Thanks again!

UltraMother
07-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Most likely some fleeces will be useful, some won't. Unusable fleece can be mulch or compost. If you do happen to take them, and want to unload a few, please PM me. :) I'm learning to process my own raw fleece, and the more varieties I can try, the better.

ETA: Cleaning raw fleece is a lot of work. With 14 fleeces available, I would look into sending the wool to a mill. It will cost more, but you will get the most usable wool that way.