PDA

View Full Version : need knitting in the round help

greengirl19
07-16-2012, 12:36 PM
I just cast on stitches to start a simple little top for one of G's little friend's birthday. It's knitted in the round, which I haven't done before and only my second thing on circular needles. I think my needles are too big (long). Even stretched all the way out, the stitches do not make it to the other end. Is there anything I can do to make it work? I literally have no money for new needles.

inesperada
07-16-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm under a sleeping preschooler and can't link, but google " magic loop" for video instructions. :)

CelticJourney
07-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Oooo glad I saw that. I'm going to the knitting store where I learned to knit tomorrow to get them to help me learn to knit in the round and I'll ask about those! I want to make fingerless gloves for dd for Christmas.

Greengirl19, you're doing better than I am right now :yes

BlissfullyEsther
07-16-2012, 08:40 PM
There are two things you can do (which I do too, so I know they work). Travelling/Traveling Loop (depends on where you're from :giggle), and Magic Loop.

Second one down is "Small diameter circular knitting" and the third subtitle in that is Magic Loop. The video should be helpful with that.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques

Travelling loop is very similar but you just have one loop which you pull through as needed. There will undoubtedly be videos on youtube.

CelticJourney
07-16-2012, 09:02 PM
So is Magic Loop a way of knitting rather than a product?

inesperada
07-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Yes. :yes

greengirl19
07-17-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm doing the magic loop, and I don't love it, but it is working. My cables are pretty stiff and I think that's making it hard. And I knit pretty tightly. I'm increasing from the neck to the body right now and I think I might be able to just knit in the round the body. I think magic loop would be great with longer more flexible cables, like everyone in the youtube videos uses.

mipennsn
07-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Flexible cables are key for Magic Loop. I have some Boye aluminum circulars that I wouldn't even attempt the magic loop with.

Wonder Woman
07-19-2012, 09:27 AM
everybody needs to go buy ChiaoGoo Red Lace needles at least 32" long, preferably 40", and learn Magic Loop :snooty

At least that's what I recommend, not that I have definite opinions on it or anything :lol

CelticJourney
07-19-2012, 10:49 AM
everybody needs to go buy ChiaoGoo Red Lace needles at least 32" long, preferably 40", and learn Magic Loop :snooty

At least that's what I recommend, not that I have definite opinions on it or anything :lolSo I shouldn't tell you that I went for help using circular needles and left the store with double points:shifty

naturalnina
07-27-2012, 07:38 PM
So I shouldn't tell you that I went for help using circular needles and left the store with double points:shifty

So funny! I was just about to suggest DPNs. They're perfect for smaller projects.

They do, however, tend to produce "ladders" (like a run in pantyhose) between the needles where the stitches get pulled too much from tension. You can avoid this by using 5 needles instead of 4 and always knitting 1 or 2 stitches past the end of a needle (taking them from the next needle) before switching to a new working needle. This keeps the stitches at the end of each needle constantly shifting and reduces the tension on them that creates ladders.