PDA

View Full Version : Do you need anything special to sew on jersey?

MaiMama
07-13-2012, 09:32 PM
I want to make a dress out of a t-shirt for Bella, but I read a blog entry that said you need a special foot (walking), special needle (round tip), and special stitch (looks like a lightning bolt) to sew jersey knit. Is that for real?

If a straight stitch is so awful, could I just zigzag it and be done? This is just so it doesn't swallow her up when we're at Sea World. It's not like it's for church or anything. Okay, I'm hoping she'll wear it more than once and I could even make a few as play dresses. Still, I'm not even convinced I'm going to do anything but stitch up the sides.

Lady Grey
07-13-2012, 09:59 PM
I think a zigzag stitch and the round tip needle would be fine.

(disclaimer - not a sewing expert)

musicmama
07-14-2012, 03:50 AM
You don't need a walking foot, you just need a ballpoint needle and a lengthy zig-zag. You can use a straight stitch, but it is most likely going to stretch the fabric which makes it lay all wonky.

This is a tutorial my sister did that discusses sewing with knit (she uses a LOT of super soft, super stretchy, drapey jerseys like bamboo :melting my daughter loves my nieces hand me downs, lol), including applique!

MaiMama
07-14-2012, 05:53 AM
You don't need a walking foot, you just need a ballpoint needle and a lengthy zig-zag. You can use a straight stitch, but it is most likely going to stretch the fabric which makes it lay all wonky.

This is a tutorial my sister did that discusses sewing with knit (she uses a LOT of super soft, super stretchy, drapey jerseys like bamboo :melting my daughter loves my nieces hand me downs, lol), including applique!

I feel like you were leading up to a link, but there's not one. Can you please share?

musicmama
07-14-2012, 06:17 AM
:haha

The way you phrased that made me spit coffee on my keyboard :haha Of course I meant to link it, and of course I forgot :hunh :doh :giggle

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2010/06/tips-for-embellishing-knits-knit-applique-tutorial/#.UAFxWZGy840

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

What sort of dress are you going to make?

Iarwain
07-14-2012, 07:27 AM
A narrow zigzag stitch and a ball point needle are what you need, but also a good dose of patience. Jersey tends to stretch and bunch funny. Go slow and support the fabric well as you sew. Don't let it drag or hang. Stop often to readjust the fabric before and after the needle so that it feeds smoothly. If you notice the front the the presser foot catching or pushing the fabric so that it is not feeding as smoothly as it ought then you can either adjust the pressure on the presser foot (if it is adjustable) or place a hand alongside on top of the fabric and sort of let it ride through the machine while guiding it through at the right speed. That can help reduce drag from friction if you are guiding it at the right speed (not too fast and not too slow). Sometimes I find it helpful to stop with the needle in the fabric, lift the presser foot, and smooth out the fabric. Another thing to know about knits is that they are much easier to sew neatly when there is an ample seam allowance. If you are closer to the cut edge, especially on the cross-grain, it will stretch out of shape more easily.

MaiMama
07-15-2012, 07:29 AM
:haha

The way you phrased that made me spit coffee on my keyboard :haha Of course I meant to link it, and of course I forgot :hunh :doh :giggle

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2010/06/tips-for-embellishing-knits-knit-applique-tutorial/#.UAFxWZGy840

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

What sort of dress are you going to make?

Hope your keyboard is ok. :giggle

I'm guessing kind of a-line. But based on Iarwain's instructions, I may not bother. Patience is not my strength. I may just cut off the sleeves and tie up the shoulders with a ribbon (or some of the sleeve fabric) and call it done.

Iarwain
07-15-2012, 07:34 AM
I'm sorry if I scared you off of it! It's really not that difficult. It just requires some extra attention while sewing. I gave a LOT of suggestions that have been helpful to me in the past, not all of which may be needed for any given project.

MaiMama
07-15-2012, 07:36 AM
If I do it, it'll probably be from this tutorial:
http://www.happytogethercreates.com/2009/07/roses-and-ruffles-t-shirt-to-toddler.html

I did but a couple of pink shirts as well, so I may just leave the turquoise ones as-is (plus the dolphin), and alter the pink shirts for my girls in some coordinating fashion for their bithdays. Now I'm wondering if I should have gotten a 2X to make Trin a dress too (to wear with leggings, of course). :think.

musicmama
07-15-2012, 12:42 PM
That's adorable! And it won't be hard to make at all, don't be scared!

Marielle
07-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Definitely a ballpoint needle otherwise you'll have tons of tiny pinholes developing in the knit after a wash or two. I like using the "crowd the needle" technique she mentions here when I'm not using the serger:

http://off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.com/2009/12/two-ways-to-tame-t-shirt-hems.html

It's a great way to keep the knit from getting too wavy as you sew. Then once you're done sewing a seam, hit it with a bunch of steam. Any residual rippling that happens even with the best of care will smooth out.

Like PPs mentioned a zig zag stitch (even if it's a narrow zig zag that looks almost straight) is enough to accommodate the stretch of the fabric but you can also use the stretch stitch on your machine (it's the one where the machine takes a stitch forward, backward then forward again).

Most of all don't be afraid. Knits are forgiving and so are kids. :D

MaiMama
07-16-2012, 10:51 AM
How awful would it be if I made the dress to where it covered the shoulders, kind of like a cap sleeve or very short sleeve, but without using a separate piece of cloth for the sleeve? Do you know what I mean? I'm just thinking sun coverage.