PDA

View Full Version : What's better than a quilt?

cro
07-01-2012, 11:37 PM
As a gift, I mean. Every year my mom's family does a Pollyanna/White Elephant gift exchange for Christmas. Most of the gifts are generic seasonal "gifty" items (BBQ sets, picture frames, kitchen gadgets) that no one really wants, but my one aunt always makes a quilt that everyone fights over. :giggle

This year, we want to change it up and have all gifts be handmade - food, decor, whatever. SOOOOO, I'm trying to think of what I can make that could possibly trump my aunt's quilts. :shifty I can sew, embroider, crochet, knit (very beginner), do basic woodwork & electrical, general crafty stuff, bake, and make yummy jams. :rockon Now I just need ideas. What would be awesomely appealing to men & women; retired & just graduated; country, city & seashore folks?

Kiara.I
07-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Oh, goodness.

Killer rumballs? Homemade candy? Cookies delivered once a month through the year?

I think you might need to let go of trumping the quilt, though. :hug2 Sorry. ;)

Annainprogress
07-02-2012, 05:42 AM
Two quilts? :shifty

Kernigemom
07-02-2012, 05:43 AM
One year for Christmas, my grandmother made hand knitted house shoes with leather soles sewn on. She made a pair for everyone in the family, including my uncle's 12 foster kids. I was sad when they wore out, because they were awesomely comfortable! :walk

Llee
07-02-2012, 05:50 AM
Homemade granola and bread.

cro
07-02-2012, 10:32 PM
I think you might need to let go of trumping the quilt, though. :hug2 Sorry. ;):sigh Yeah. Maybe this year I'll get lucky and win the quilt. :shifty But it'd be nice to make something else that everyone wants. Food might be the way to go. One year there was a big commotion over a cooler full of kielbasa. I KNOW I can do better than that! :giggle

SalH
07-02-2012, 10:45 PM
I tried to reply to this yesterday but the internet broke mid post! What is better (more unique!) than a quilt (and far easier)... is a quilted photo.

Easy.

You just need printer fabric, and you make a patchwork frame around the photo (keep a 1/4 in border around the photo when you cut it out with your rotary cutter) and make a couple of strips of co-ordinating fabric for the patchwork frame.

Offcut of wadding for the middle, backing of the right size, spray the quilting glue stuff to baste it, quilt around the frame - and then use binding (make your own or better still use leftover binding from another project...

http://sewlifesewlavie.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/are-we-there-yet.html

Blue Savannah
07-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Your jam is incredible. I think a basket with jam and some other items--homemade biscotti, etc. would be wonderful.

ETA: You could put some hand embroidered napkins in, too. :yes

greengirl19
07-03-2012, 07:15 AM
once a month/quarterly homemade cookie club? I would imagine that would be pretty popular. I'd make a big tin of cookies for the Christmas gift, and then a little card explaining that there would be more throughout the year :)

Tengokujin
07-03-2012, 07:15 AM
My first thought was "nothing is better than a quilt".

I know that at all times throughout my adult life, I would value and appreciate homemade jams.

CelticJourney
07-10-2012, 02:05 PM
A gingerbread house ready to decorate? And the candy of course.

Aisling
07-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Christmas stockings. :hearts We don't currently have any, and I'd be SO tickled to receive a nice set.

A nice basket of amazing jellies and jams would be awesome, too. And spiced peach butter. :yum Anything that would make my Christmas brighter when guests come over that's homemade with love, and that saves ME the effort of having to do it! :lol

Waterlogged
07-10-2012, 02:33 PM
could you knit or crochet a christmas tree skirt?

Garland
07-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I think a big basket of homemade foodie items would be great. I often see big baskets for cheap at garage sales. You could fill it with lots of yummy things.

-Homemade jams
-Homemade bread or biscuits
-Homemade biscotti or cookies
-Dried herbs (if you grow some in your garden)
-Tea
-Chocolates
-Bottle of bourbon vanilla extract

So many possibilities.

(but it would still probably be the runner-up to a quilt :giggle )

ncsweetpea
07-10-2012, 05:13 PM
This sounds like so much fun...and there have been some great ideas mentioned! (The cooler of kielbasa had me giggling...)

Christmas cocoa mix and handpainted mugs and embroidered napkins
One of those Christmas trees made from star cookies
Handmade kitchen linens (dishcloth, pot holders, etc.)
Biscuit basket with knitted biscuit blanket...and jam! (To be all complete you could have a cooler full of handmade butter too!)
Beautiful jar of homemade granola
A certificate for a homemade dinner served on the date of their choice (if you all live close enough to deliver)

I would love to do this one: Soup of the Month Club. Give a Crock Pot and an insulated bag and a menu of 12 soups to be delivered in the crock pot to the owner of the crock. It would go for all ages...you'd just have to live close enough to make it work!

An advent calendar of some sorts. The mitten one is cute on Ravelry or maybe one like Marielle posted...

AnotherNamedKate
07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
A better quilt? I honestly don't know if you can really beat a quilt. I've never gotten one as a gift, but I would be extremely excited if I did! Homemade jams are great too though. I love homemade jams. :yes

Someone else said table/kitchen linens and I second that idea too. A handmade table cloth (Oh, especially if it was framed with crochet lace edging!!!) would probably beat a quilt!

Barefoot Bookworm
07-10-2012, 07:46 PM
A nice, fuzzy homemade bathrobe?

cro
07-10-2012, 08:02 PM
So many great ideas! I think I'll make a basket of jams/jellies and linens. Now to scour the internet for trendy napkin/tablecloth ideas. :type