PDA

View Full Version : Cal/Mag, where have you been all my life??

3boysforme
07-01-2012, 02:27 PM
I am really just, stunned at the difference this supplement has made for me.

-I am falling asleep better ( I had been having a lot of trouble falling asleep) and I am sleeping harder.

- I am super calm. Like amazingly so. The things that were making me blow up and lose my cool don't seem as "big" now and I am able to work through them. I even took all three kids to the mall by myself and it was not stressful at all. :rockon

- I am not having obessesive or disturbing thoughts, something I have dealt with for a very long time.

I seriously feel like a new person. I can't believe it. I wish I had known about this a long time ago.

mamacat
07-01-2012, 02:35 PM
which kind are you using?

hellomama
07-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Wow, that's wonderful & so amazing. I wonder if I can take it while pregnant. Yes, do share, what kind are you taking? And congrats!

3boysforme
07-01-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm taking Caltrate for the calcium, about 1260mg and for the magnesium I use Magnesium oil. The brand is Life-Flo and its a magnesium chloride brine. I spray it on my skin and rub it in. The bottle says 1 tsp =660mg.

Llee
07-01-2012, 05:28 PM
:rockon

GraemesMomma
07-01-2012, 05:37 PM
I use the same mag! Just bought it. Guess I should be more diligent with it :bag

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Glad it's doing so much for you :rockon

treehugginmama
07-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Yay!!

mommychem
07-02-2012, 09:58 AM
It has made a huge difference for me too. I can always tell when I've forgotten to take it. Glad you are experiencing more CALM. :heart
Posted via Mobile Device

Stiina
07-03-2012, 07:40 AM
That is awesome!!!! I've beentrying to find a combo (the liquid Lifetime brand was rec'd somewhere here on gcm) so it's easier to remember to take. I'm looking forward to al the amazing benefits. :)

So, how long have you been taking it? I'm so glad for you! :jump

3boysforme
07-03-2012, 07:51 AM
So, how long have you been taking it? I'm so glad for you! :jump

This is my third week taking it. I noticed a huge difference after about a week.

The big test will be the week before my cycle. I really struggle with PMDD and I am hoping the cal/mag helps with it.

Stiina
07-03-2012, 08:15 AM
That'll be a great test! :popcorn :)

So, what was the reason you started taking it? What did you want it to help with the most?

3boysforme
07-03-2012, 08:43 AM
The sleep and OCD thoughts. My obssesive thoughts had come back with avengance recently, and it was causing me to stay up all night, because I was scared to fall asleep. So the lack of sleep was making me cranky, and the PMDD was making me cranky......I was just cranky all the time.

So I started reading on here about the cal/mag and saw that it could really help in those situations, and it had reached a point where I either try it or get on a prescription medication. I wanted to try the cal/mag first. I am hoping (fingers crossed!) that this will be enough and I do not have to go on medication.

Stiina
07-03-2012, 10:57 AM
:rockon GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

forty-two
07-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Ok, y'all are selling me on cal/mag :giggle. I could definitely use some more calm - I've changed my diet to the point that I don't feel constantly on the verge of losing it anymore (except when PMSing :sigh), which is awesome :rockon, but I still spend most of my time feeling one step from being off-center. The times I feel calm and centered are few and far between - but I've actually *experienced* them now, which is better than I was for a long time :yes, but I feel like I've plateaued - maybe cal/mag will help me feel even better.

Point me to a thread or something on how one goes about choosing a particular cal/mag brand and dosage and such, pretty please :grin?

3boysforme
07-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Forty-two what you are describing is me :yes. Going off gluten made a HUGE difference but it didn't take it all away, like you said something was just off a little bit.

There is a Cal/mag sticky somewhere. When I get back to my desk and not on the phone, I will see if I can find it.

treehugginmama
07-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Magnesium Oil is so awesome. I love it. Another tip if you are not doing it already is putting it on your face. I had 11 lines but they have disappeared since using it.

3boysforme
07-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Forty-Two: Here (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=247839&highlight=calcium+magnesium) you go. I thought it was a sticky, but it isn't (why isn't it??)

Magnesium Oil is so awesome. I love it. Another tip if you are not doing it already is putting it on your face. I had 11 lines but they have disappeared since using it.

Do you clean your face with it, or use it as a cream/lotion? Also, my oil leaves a little bit of salt after it is absorbed, do you rinse that off?

mamacat
07-03-2012, 01:02 PM
so a tsp of the mag a day and do you use at same time as Caltrate? I have similar mag but real hit or miss using it and dont always take the cal I have with it

3boysforme
07-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I take it together, about 30 minutes before bedtime.

treehugginmama
07-03-2012, 01:36 PM
It leaves the white on me too. I don't wash it off. You can but should wait at least 20 mins.

I use it like a toner but only at night. I wash with my normal face wash, then I spray for sprays on my fingers of one hand, rub them together and apply to my face being careful around the eyes. Then I put argan oil on over that after it dries.

Also put a spray on your toothbrush. It's awesome stuff.

SweetCaroline
07-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Wow, that's wonderful & so amazing. I wonder if I can take it while pregnant. Yes, do share, what kind are you taking? And congrats!
yes.i was using it for charley horses. and heartburn/indigestion..but too much will mess your stomach up.

Turtle Herder
07-03-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm taking it while pregnant :shrug3 It never occurred to me that it might not be okay :think Maybe I should ask my midwife!

I take Lifetime liquid cal/mag combo. I take it before bed and it really helps me sleep, and definitely helps with the charlie horses I get associated with pregnancy. :tu

treehugginmama
07-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Magnesium Oil does not cause digestive issues and it is safe while pregnant. The oil and oral magnesium is safe.

3boysforme
07-03-2012, 05:27 PM
I also had relief from cramps in my legs. Not from Charley Horses, but from not sitting properly. :shifty

I just read that the magnesium oil can also help get rid of warts? Ds1 has a few on his toe.

treehugginmama
07-03-2012, 05:37 PM
I just read that the magnesium oil can also help get rid of warts? Ds1 has a few on his toe.

That is true. DS2 had 3 facial warts. They are all gone now. Two were gone in a week or two the big one took about a month.

3boysforme
07-09-2012, 12:05 PM
For the last few days I have been having some problems.

When I spray the oil (on my arms), it stings and itches really bad and then a small rash appears. The rash is gone as soon as I wake up in the morning.

I am reading that this is actually a sign that I am very Magnesium deficient? And something about it reacting with toxins in the skin? I am going to try to spray it somewhere else tonight and see if it helps.

treehugginmama
07-09-2012, 04:42 PM
That's what I understand also. It happens to me usually after a high stress time.

3boysforme
07-24-2012, 07:54 PM
I just wanted to update now that I have had my PMS/PMDD week.

It has been amazing. No raging, no dropping things, no feeling like I am falling apart, no mood swings, no extreme tiredness, no gorging on chocolate :shifty

Cal/Mag is awesomesauce. That is all.

mommychem
07-25-2012, 11:27 AM
:tu

mountainash
07-25-2012, 01:01 PM
I need to dig mine out of storage.

marigold
07-25-2012, 02:08 PM
For the last few days I have been having some problems.

When I spray the oil (on my arms), it stings and itches really bad and then a small rash appears. The rash is gone as soon as I wake up in the morning.

I am reading that this is actually a sign that I am very Magnesium deficient? And something about it reacting with toxins in the skin? I am going to try to spray it somewhere else tonight and see if it helps.

ooh thank-you for this info. Do you have a link? oil mag but backed off on usung it because of the stinging? I guess I'll have to start it up again.

lmgeenw
07-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Okay, I'm sold. I have been thinking about trying it. The anxiety and insomnia the week before my period is just awful. :(

3boysforme
07-25-2012, 07:35 PM
ooh thank-you for this info. Do you have a link? oil mag but backed off on usung it because of the stinging? I guess I'll have to start it up again.

I had a link, but can't seem to find it right now. :doh I will look some more tomorrow.

Okay, I'm sold. I have been thinking about trying it. The anxiety and insomnia the week before my period is just awful. :(

Seriously, this has been the best week before my period ever. I started this morning and even that went well. Usually my symptoms peak an hour or so before it starts...nothing this time I went to the bathroom and was kind of surprised by AF.

EskimoBoston
08-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Bump.

Okay how in the world am I supposed to do the mag? I got the same stuff...caltrate and life flo spray. I've been taking 2 caltrates a day which is um 1200 mg. So to maintain the 3:1 ratio I need 400 mg of the mag. It says 4 sprays is 66mg so I need 7 28 (wow I did that math wrong) sprays roughly.

I made SUCH a mess with it though!!! I didn't expect it to be so runny. How/where do you apply it? Also it itched and burned SO bad. I think I got the rash thing going too because my arms were red also. It was all I could do not to itch the mess out of them. :doh

Drew
08-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Every time I read about cal/mag I declare that I am going to get started on this amazing combo and somehow still haven't. This time is going to be different. Really.

Sold! :shifty

3boysforme
08-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Bump.

Okay how in the world am I supposed to do the mag? I got the same stuff...caltrate and life flo spray. I've been taking 2 caltrates a day which is um 1200 mg. So to maintain the 3:1 ratio I need 400 mg of the mag. It says 4 sprays is 66mg so I need 7 sprays roughly.

I made SUCH a mess with it though!!! I didn't expect it to be so runny. How/where do you apply it? Also it itched and burned SO bad. I think I got the rash thing going too because my arms were red also. It was all I could do not to itch the mess out of them. :doh

I spray it on and rub it in like lotion. It will burn and itch for the first few weeks if you have a significant deficiency. It doesn't burn me anymore.

Elora
08-30-2012, 12:29 PM
It IS fabulous. I agree with every benefit posted.

I did recently read that calcium supplements have been shown to cause heart problems in women. anyone else read this?

I need to know if I should stop taking it. I love it soooo much, I'm kinda in denial.

Stiina
08-30-2012, 12:53 PM
$23 for 247mL on my go-to-website (Canadian). Good price, guys? Here's the write up:
Natural Calm’s crystal clear, odor-free Magnesium Oil (Magnesium Chloride) is concentrated magnesium chloride extracted from sea water. (450 mg per ml)

Usage Instructions for Magnesium Oil:

1. Dilute oil with distilled water, 50/50 in a spray bottle, and cover body with about 12 sprays from head to toe after a shower. Air dry is best. Rinsing isn’t necessary, but after 20-30 minutes it is okay to do so if the feeling is uncomfortable. (Use daily.) Spray onto the chest, directly over the heart. This nourishes the heart, which uses magnesium to maintain normal rhythm.
2. Spray once or twice onto any sore or aching joints. Massage into skin.
3. Spray into armpits, (great as a deodorant), behind the knees, and onto the tops of the feet. Massage in. These areas target the lymph system.
4. Spray into your mouth and brush your teeth. Rinse and spit out. Do not swallow magnesium oil, because it is very concentrated. Helps with halitosis, plaque and gingivitis.
5. Use diluted magnesium oil during a massage. This increases the coverage of magnesium across your entire body, and further increases absorption and circulation.
6. Use in a bath. Pour ½ oz or more of magnesium oil into a bath, and soak for at least 30 minutes.

Using magnesium oil, truly astounding things can happen. Some people have reported the regrowth of deteriorated bone, cartilage, and even a regeneration of enamel on their teeth. Teeth have developed a pearly translucence as a result of regular brushing with magnesium oil.

More frequently, sufferers of arthritis in its many forms have turned to magnesium oil for near-instant relief from pain. Long term users of magnesium oil have experienced an improvement in the health of their bones, ligaments, and the afflicted joints. Of important note is the use of magnesium oil by sufferers of fibromyalgia, who often enjoy quick relief of this crippling pain.

For skin, magnesium oil may be used to rejuvenate wrinkled or damaged skin. Graying hair can be fed back to health by massaging magnesium oil into it each evening and left on overnight. Even bald or balding areas of the scalp have a chance of recovery when infused with this powerful mineral. This can also be applied to age spots. To induce the healing of scar tissue, massage essential oils frankincense, myrrh, and magnesium oil into the scar.

Transdermal Supplementation:

Transdermal or topical refers to absorption through the skin. This has been found to be the easiest, cheapest, and most effective method of acquiring magnesium. The reason this occurs is because it cuts out the middle man: your digestive system. Absorption of magnesium in the intestines is very low, the excess being flushed out with other bodily wastes. This often causes diarrhea and can lead to kidney damage if continued for a long period of time.

When supplementing magnesium through your skin, this problem is no longer an issue. Wherever magnesium oil is applied to the skin, it is absorbed very quickly and is able to be spot-applied to any point of the body that has an obvious need for it.

And do you take this in addition to your regular cal/mag?

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

I can't get the Lifetime brand liquid cal/mag anywhere. :(

This is a 2:1 ratio brand (http://well.ca/products/now-foods-liquid-cal-mag-citrate_24953.html) and they are both citrates. Is that the right kind?? - is that going to be good enough?? Please give input if you get a sec - I'm desperate for headache help!!!!

Product Features:
Supports Bone Health
Superior Citrate Forms
With Boron and Vitamin D
Blueberry Flavor
A Dietary Supplement
Vegetarian Formula
Xylitol Sweetened

Ingredients: Per 15 ml
Calories 40g
Total Carbohydrate 9 g
Sugar Alcohol (as Xylitol) 2 g
Vitamin D (as Ergocalciferol) 400 IU
Calcium (from Calcium Citrate) 500 mg
Magnesium (from Magnesium Citrate) 250 mg
Boron (from Boron Amino Acid Chelate) 1 mg

treehugginmama
08-30-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm horrible with metric so I'm not sure but it sounds like a lot so that would be a good price. LOL No help there sorry.

I do not take it in addition too. Actually I don't even take calcium. I have tried to take a bit of Natural Calm magnesium drink but I would get some digestive issues so I just stick to the oil.

Leslie_JJKs_mom
08-30-2012, 01:26 PM
I am taking it too. I told my OB and he did not say not to so I keep taking it.

Stiina
08-30-2012, 01:41 PM
250mL = 1 cup = 8oz. Still good?

Ok, so you don't take calcium at all. :think Good to know. Maybe I'll start with the magnesium...my cousin who is taking university courses texted me saying she was thinking of me in her class because they said headaches are often caused by mag. deficiency!!

treehugginmama
08-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Ok, yeah that doesn't sound so good. Can you order from Amazon? I'm clueless if they ship to Canada but they have it. I use this one when I'm not making my own. http://www.amazon.com/Life-flo-Pure-Magnesium-Oil-Ounce/dp/B004NHN9OA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346362932&sr=8-3&keywords=magnesium+oil

I use to suffer from headaches very frequently and now I only get them about 7 times a month. That might sound like a lot but it was almost daily before.

Stiina
08-30-2012, 03:11 PM
:question did I miss something here? How do you make your own?

amazon.com doesn't ship to canada but some things are listed on amazon.ca so I might be able to find it.

EskimoBoston
08-30-2012, 11:10 PM
I spray it on and rub it in like lotion. It will burn and itch for the first few weeks if you have a significant deficiency. It doesn't burn me anymore.

I don't get how you rub it in like lotion. It was running everywhere?? You said you did your arms right? It was rolling off my arms lol. I did some on my stomach just because there was less mess.

3boysforme
08-31-2012, 06:12 AM
I don't get how you rub it in like lotion. It was running everywhere?? You said you did your arms right? It was rolling off my arms lol. I did some on my stomach just because there was less mess.

I am actually spraying my legs now. I spray and rub it in, but it doesn't absorb right away so it is a little messy at first.

Elora- I saw that about the calcium but I do not plan to stop taking it. For me the benefit outweighs a potentional risk. I believe there has to be other contributing factors to heart problems and that it isn't increased strictly from calcium supplements.

jame06
08-31-2012, 06:39 AM
I am actually spraying my legs now. I spray and rub it in, but it doesn't absorb right away so it is a little messy at first.

Elora- I saw that about the calcium but I do not plan to stop taking it. For me the benefit outweighs a potentional risk. I believe there has to be other contributing factors to heart problems and that it isn't increased strictly from calcium supplements.

I need to get on this wagon. Point me in the right direction for what I need please! :shifty

3boysforme
08-31-2012, 06:44 AM
I need to get on this wagon. Point me in the right direction for what I need please! :shifty

Horn of Plenty in town has a very nice Cal/Mag selection :yes. I am using the Bluebonnet Calcium soft gels from there. I got my Mag oil from Vita cost but saw the other day that Horn of Plenty had a comparable brand for cheaper.
They also have the Natural Calm for kids that I was telling you about.

Drew
08-31-2012, 07:27 AM
I was digging through my cabinet last night and found a cal/mag/zinc supplement I bought from Trader Joe's at some point. I took a dose last night and woke up this morning with a rashy arm. The rash isn't raised nor itchy. Is this likely from the supplement or just a coincidence? :scratch

Stiina
08-31-2012, 07:46 AM
I don't know, Drew!! I hope someone else chimes in who knows better. :hug

I wanted to mention that the Mag Oil I posted earlier is actually a better deal than the amazon stuff that was linked - you mix it 50/50 and even after the dilution, it has more magnesium than the other stuff. :hug I'm totally buying it. :jump2

treehugginmama
08-31-2012, 08:51 AM
You can make it by purchasing Magnesium Chloride flakes. You can use the flakes to do foot baths which is my favorite way to get the most Magnesium or melt in a 1:1 ratio of water to make the oil.

I dont find the oil that runny. It's a little lighter than oil but heavier than water. What brand do you use, Eskimo? I spray it all over my body and then rub it in. I then spray some on my hands rub them together and put all over my face. It leaves my skin oily for about 20 mins. I always need to wash my hands because of the oily residue. I use 16 sprays on each leg, 8 on each arm, one on my chest, two on my belly and one to two on my hands for my face.

Stiina
08-31-2012, 01:52 PM
very cool :rockon Thanks for those spray-numbers too - good to know how much to use! :tu

EskimoBoston
08-31-2012, 08:53 PM
You can make it by purchasing Magnesium Chloride flakes. You can use the flakes to do foot baths which is my favorite way to get the most Magnesium or melt in a 1:1 ratio of water to make the oil.

I dont find the oil that runny. It's a little lighter than oil but heavier than water. What brand do you use, Eskimo? I spray it all over my body and then rub it in. I then spray some on my hands rub them together and put all over my face. It leaves my skin oily for about 20 mins. I always need to wash my hands because of the oily residue. I use 16 sprays on each leg, 8 on each arm, one on my chest, two on my belly and one to two on my hands for my face.

Life flo. I did it more like you described tonight and had better luck. Waiting 30 mins now so I can go wash it off. Soooo itchy!!!

treehugginmama
09-01-2012, 06:04 AM
The itching and burning was horrible at first. Now I don't even wash it off.

jandjmommy
09-04-2012, 07:05 AM

Are the flakes better than Epsom salts? I want to get magnesium into the kids but don't want the gi side effects :lol so all I have been doing is Epsom salts in their baths. I had planned on the mag oil but it does sting me (only sometimes -- ?) so I'm wary of putting it on their sensitive skin.

treehugginmama
09-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Yes. Magnesium Chloride is better absorbed and has is totally ionized. My kids do the foot baths. It doesn't sting in my experience. They all spray their tooth brush too (when we remember)

Soliloquy
09-04-2012, 08:16 AM
It IS fabulous. I agree with every benefit posted.

I did recently read that calcium supplements have been shown to cause heart problems in women. anyone else read this?

I need to know if I should stop taking it. I love it soooo much, I'm kinda in denial.

Yes, I no longer think supplementing calcium is safe. I have articles from PubMed that I can post when I'm on my computer.

We use magnesium oil and, occasionally, Natural Calm.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mommychem
09-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Natural Calm here too. :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

EskimoBoston
09-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Not to be such a post hog but srsly...is this itchiness going to lessen over time?? :-/ Sitting here an itchy mess counting down the time until I can shower and wash it off. Maybe I should have gotten a pill instead. Sounds so much easier now lol.

Soliloquy
09-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Yes. It just means you're deficient.

3boysforme
09-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Yes. It just means you're deficient.

:yes It will stop.

ReadingMommy
09-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Forgive me if somebody already talked about this and I missed it, but why is the magnesium oil better than an oral supplement?

And Lisa, does the mag work well/get absorbed OK without the cal? Is that why the oil is better, for absorption?

momyshaver
09-11-2012, 10:15 AM
:cup

3boysforme
09-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Magnesium is best absorbed transdermally. Magnesium taken orally can also cause bathroom issues (http://gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=452602&highlight=magnesium).

Glitterfish
09-11-2012, 10:40 AM
So, the Life-flo spray.... how many sprays again? How long does that bottle last?

I'm really interested in this!!

Soliloquy
09-11-2012, 11:05 AM
You can't overdo it, your skin won't absorb the excess.

The bottle should last awhile, several months. I use it as deodorant, too.

3boysforme
09-11-2012, 11:07 AM
I do 6 sprays on each leg. I have had my bottle for 2 or 3 months and I still have a lot left.

Soliloquy
09-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Did I mention this already? Magnesium oil is THE BEST for growing pains in kids. :yes If you don't have any, make a really strong solution with epsom salts, soak a washcloth in it, then lay it on the painful area.

With children who get growing pains frequently, spray the area that usually hurts during the day, as prevention.

shekinah
09-11-2012, 11:59 PM
I tried making some with epsom salts recently, but when I spray myself with it, it dries all white flakes on my skin. Is that normal?

Soliloquy
09-12-2012, 12:03 AM
That doesn't happen with mag oil, which is magnesium chloride. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, iirc.

treehugginmama
09-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Lisa is right.

You can still get white dust from Magnesium chloride though. I've been using it for 5 months now and only got white dust once and that was when I sprayed it on an infection I have. So I think it had something to do with that.

shekinah
09-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Would I still be absorbing magnesium from the epsom salt spray? I gave up because of the mess, thinking it must be drying on me. Maybe I was wrong and should just spray myself half hour before showering or something until I can get some actual mag oil.

Soliloquy
09-12-2012, 08:36 AM
You are absorbing some, :yes.

treehugginmama
09-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Missina, you can do a foot bath while you wait for your spray. The best absorption from most to least is: body bath, foot bath and then the spray.

EskimoBoston
09-12-2012, 07:55 PM
I do 6 sprays on each leg. I have had my bottle for 2 or 3 months and I still have a lot left.

Oh wow I've been using like double this. I wonder if I should cut back. :scratch

The itchies...while still there aren't as bad as they were 2 weeks ago. Maybe I'm getting used to it? The bottle mentions soaking your feet? I've been doing that some nights (when I didn't feel like itching to death haha). I just dump a bunch in a big bowl and soak my feet for about 45 minutes. Is the absorption the same? The first times I did it I felt the familiar itchy burn on my feet but last night I didn't notice anything at all. :shrug3

Soliloquy
09-13-2012, 06:48 AM
You might itch less if you use less. :shrug

I use lots. I spray my stretch marks, my feet, my gums, and my arm pits.

3boysforme
09-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Lisa- are you seeing a difference in your stretch marks? I got lots of those :shifty

treehugginmama
09-13-2012, 07:53 AM
I posted somewhere in this thread about how much I use when I spray. It's a lot. A real lot.

You can soak your feet. That is my preference. If I have time I soak my feet for 20-30 mins. I use it on my face every night. My toothbrush twice a day and as a deodorant.

ReadingMommy
09-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Does there come a point where you don't need this anymore and it's a waste? (Like once you replenish your depleted levels?) I think I'm going to buy some today and try it!

EskimoBoston
09-13-2012, 08:25 AM
I definitely could not use it as a deodorant. I tried the other day and it burned so bad I had to wash it off 5 minutes later.

Maybe my skin is just sensitive! :P~

Soliloquy
09-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Does there come a point where you don't need this anymore and it's a waste? (Like once you replenish your depleted levels?) I think I'm going to buy some today and try it!

No, you need mag daily.

I definitely could not use it as a deodorant. I tried the other day and it burned so bad I had to wash it off 5 minutes later.

if it stings you are very deficient.

treehugginmama
09-13-2012, 08:43 AM

You'll be able to in the future. You just need to build up your mag levels. I would do the foot baths.

EskimoBoston
09-13-2012, 08:43 AM
if it stings you are very deficient.

It seems to me that after 2 weeks it should not be stinging as much then? Does anybody remember how long it took before it stopped? Do you not feel it at all now when you put it on now?

I feel like I'm posting too much in this thread. :shifty

Glitterfish
09-13-2012, 09:17 AM
It seems to me that after 2 weeks it should not be stinging as much then? Does anybody remember how long it took before it stopped? Do you not feel it at all now when you put it on now?

You're not posting too much. You are simply reading my mind and posting my questions for me :shifty

treehugginmama
09-13-2012, 10:09 AM
It still stings every once in awhile for me. Usually after days of high stress. I've been using it since April.

Stiina
09-13-2012, 12:33 PM
I agree with Sarah. :roll I keep thinking "but what about this??" and then you've already asked. :giggle

Ok. SO! Summary:
If you have the time, a full-body-soak in epsom salts gives the best absorption. Besides that, a 30 minute foot soak is good too. But since we all don't have time for that, spraying is faster. Feet, gums, armpits, tummy, legs, toothbrush, on your face every night. If it stings it means you're very deficient and should probably do a bath/soak to get your levels back up.

Did I get it right? DH went to town to get a part for the baler, so hopefully the mag oil I ordered will be in the mail.

Is it going to mix nicely in a spray bottle or will I have to shake it madly so that it combines? It's a concentrated bottle that it said to mix 2:1 with water.

marigold
09-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Do you dilute it to do the foot bath?
And can someone please tell me more about the taking calcium being not good for women.

Oh sorry I see from stiina that the foot bath is in epsom salt :blush

another thing I tried it on my toothbrush and after about 2 days my gums were very painful, is this normal? I stopped and it took a few days for it to go away.

3boysforme
09-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Here (http://www.rodale.com/sources-calcium)and Here (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080116193102.htm)are a couple articles. Like I said before, there is nothing I see that makes me want to stop the calcium. I tried to just do the mag last month, but I noticed my PMDD was a little worse and calcium is supposed to help with that. :shrug. For *me* the benefit outweighs the slight risk, when I get closer to pre-menupose I will reevaluate.

Soliloquy
09-13-2012, 01:46 PM

There is no set amount of time before it stops stinging. Detox pathways use a LOT of magnesium. So, if you have been quite deficient and start giving your body mag, your body will start using it AND detox some junk, which will use up more mag. I did read in the comments on Cheeseslave's blog that spraying it on your girly parts will sting less than spraying it on your skin. :shrug3

It never stung for me, even the first time. :duck I used to take Natural Calm semi-regularly and I've always eaten a LOT of chocolate, which is high in mag and zinc.

Stiina
09-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Lisa, I just want to listen to you talk and talk and talk. You know SO much!!!! I'm impressed by the obvious countless hours of research you've done on all things health related. :heart

Soliloquy
09-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Lisa, I just want to listen to you talk and talk and talk. You know SO much!!!! I'm impressed by the obvious countless hours of research you've done on all things health related. :heart

Move in with us in ID and teach us how to establish pasture and get started raising beef!!!! Pretty please!!!

Stiina
09-13-2012, 05:25 PM
:heart Oooooh how I would LOVE to!!!!!!! That would be so fun. Seriously. If you have any questions just ask!!!!!

mommychem
09-13-2012, 08:00 PM

I agree. I totally stalk Lisa in the health threads. My internal conversation goes like this - "Lisa said it...must be so :yes." :blush :heart
Posted via Mobile Device

ReadingMommy
09-22-2012, 03:08 PM
So, my magnesium oil just came in the mail! I'm a total newbie to this. I'm kinda scared of all the stories about "stinging" and such (and I'm pretty sure that I'm deficient). How much should I start with? Where should I spray it? Should I be switching around to different areas to "spread the sting" or does that just make it worse?:nails

Stiina
09-22-2012, 08:38 PM
I got mine too and I'm totally disappointed that it doesn't sting. At all. I was sure that I was deficient and that upping my mag would cure my decade of headaches. :cry

RM - just try a little bit to see what happens :hug

ReadingMommy
09-22-2012, 08:55 PM
I tried. It stung! Not terribly, but it was noticeable. Stiina, according to the other ladies, taking it on an ongoing basis is still needed and helpful. I hope you continue with it and that it DOES help your headaches.:yes

3boysforme
09-22-2012, 08:59 PM
I got mine too and I'm totally disappointed that it doesn't sting. At all. I was sure that I was deficient and that upping my mag would cure my decade of headaches. :cry

RM - just try a little bit to see what happens :hug

It didn't sting me the first couple times.

ReadingMommy
09-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Hmmm, does that mean it gets worse the more you use it?:nails

3boysforme
09-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Hmmm, does that mean it gets worse the more you use it?:nails

:no it started to sting after a couple days but now it doesn't.

treehugginmama
09-23-2012, 07:56 AM
It's really depends on what's going on in you and around you. I've been using it for a long time now. I'll go weeks without stinging and then BAM. Always after high stress it starts to sting but sometimes it just stings even without the high stress for one reason or another.

Stiina
09-23-2012, 11:56 AM
:ty !!!!! I am encouraged to keep on spraying, :hug

Glitterfish
09-24-2012, 05:36 AM
I got mine too :woohoo

I've been using it for a few days.... and YES it stings! I spray 6 sprays on each thigh, six on my belly, and a spray on my toothbrush. Good enough, not too much, or overkill? I've noticed that it stings the most on my thighs (I was spraying it on my shins at first, and it just stung too much. It stings less on my thighs, not really at all on my belly.)

I put some on DH's back, arms, and belly and he said it didn't sting at all. So now he's all like "Ha! I'm not deficient and YOU are!! :neener" Stinker.

treehugginmama
09-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Not overkill at all. Spraying it on fattier parts will help with the sting.

Glitterfish
09-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Not overkill at all. Spraying it on fattier parts will help with the sting.

Ha, fat belly for the win!

3boysforme
09-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Ha, fat belly for the win!

Finally, a good use for it!!! :giggle

GraemesMomma
09-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm now fully enlightened and scolding myself for being so inconsistent with using mine :bag

This week's goal: spray us, all. Daily.

ReadingMommy
09-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Just had to bump this thread.:D I read somewhere online that high estrogen depletes magnesium, so was inspired to come re-read this thread, and then take some Natural Calm. After only a scant teaspoon and about 10 minutes, the lovely pms chest tightness I've been "enjoying" all day already feels better!:rockon

I still have my mag oil, but haven't been using it regularly because the stinging was always too much for me. :bag A few months ago, I went through an entire tub of mag flakes for footbaths and LOVED them, but I ran out and they are expensive. Maybe if I keep up with the Natural Calm regularly for a while I'll be able to tolerate the mag oil too? Hope so!

3boysforme
09-08-2013, 06:38 PM
I just saw the other day that there is an Epsom Salt lotion. I got some because ds2 is having leg cramps/growing pains. It seems to be helping.

I just cannot afford the oil anymore. I looked into getting flakes but can't find them locally and with shipping it is too much.

mommychem
09-08-2013, 10:30 PM
I just saw the other day that there is an Epsom Salt lotion. I got some because ds2 is having leg cramps/growing pains. It seems to be helping.

I just cannot afford the oil anymore. I looked into getting flakes but can't find them locally and with shipping it is too much.

Where can I get this lotion? My DD1 complains often of growing pains. :yes I should have known that the "natural" world had an answer. :doh
Posted via Mobile Device

ReadingMommy
09-09-2013, 06:16 AM
Where can I get this lotion? My DD1 complains often of growing pains. :yes I should have known that the "natural" world had an answer. :doh
Posted via Mobile Device

I know Ancient Minerals makes one that I'd like to try, but it's not exactly cheap! I guess it would depend on how long it lasts.

3boysforme
09-09-2013, 06:18 AM
http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-home/epsom-salts/epsom-salt-products/189/morton-epsom-lotion/

I got it at Walmart.

Michele123
09-13-2013, 04:13 PM
I bought the spray linked earlier in this thread but waited to use it. At my physical today I asked my doctor and he tested my magnesium levels and they are fine? Should I still use the spray?

illinoismommy
09-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Hey we've been doing lots of studying on these basics in nursing school recently so I can share what I've learned.

The only thing I can think of is if you go from low in calcium to taking a ton all at once, because raising calcium levels too fast can cause cardiac arrest. However I am pretty sure you can't raise them that fast by taking oral supplements, I think it'd be something through an IV. Other than that I think all the research shows that having enough calcium is very important for woman so it is a good thing.

In all these electrolytes there's too much and too little. Without something awry in your kidneys or other conditions you are going to pee these ones off before getting too much, so that's good.

Of interest, one of the things magnesium does is exerts a sedative on the neuromuscular junction. So it makes sense that magnesium would make people get better rest.

Not to be such a post hog but srsly...is this itchiness going to lessen over time?? :-/ Sitting here an itchy mess counting down the time until I can shower and wash it off. Maybe I should have gotten a pill instead. Sounds so much easier now lol.

My feeling is that if its making you that uncomfortable that you should stop taking it.

I am sad to say I tried to google different things on magnesium oil and I can't find any academic websites that make me feel really comfortable about using it or muscling past a potential sensitivity reaction. I am a big stickler for sources though. I wouldn't do it personally.

Let's not forget food sources for magnesium as its always awesome if we can get these things from real food. Many seeds/nuts are high in magnesium, as well as dark leafy greens, cocoa/dark chocolate.... other stuff you can google.

Anyway I felt all :idea reading this and realizing the symptoms of too little magnesium are things like weakness, seizures, tremors, mental status changes, magnified deep tendon reflexes... you would be pretty agitated! So taking some would calm you down. Getting TOO much can get into drowsiness, lethargy, but like I said-- in normal circumstances not going to happen because your kidneys will cause you to pee the extra off.

Sundance
09-13-2013, 05:48 PM
subbing I was talking to a MW friend recently about taking cal:mag to help with crazy after pains (I am dreading giving birth for this factor alone!0.....I have a few weeks to learn all I can!

bentlaj11
10-18-2013, 07:30 AM
Does anyone use the oil on their less than 2 y/o? I'm going to re-read the cal-mag thread, but I'm wondering if Critter (and Bug- almost 4) would benefit from more than just the occasional Epsom salt bath (since I don't bath them as much during the winter and I forget to put the Epsom salts in there sometimes :giggle). I was going to get some oil for myself.. since I rarely take baths. Can I use it on them?

Caecelia
10-18-2013, 08:34 AM
I've used the spray and tried to get over the weird feeling it leaves on my skin, and after trying oral mag and having it to right through me, I've resorted to Ancient Minerals lotion. I like this the best. I don't know how it compares to the spray in amount absorbed, but it seems to be helping me. And, for the past two days, I've been supplementing my 27 month old with a combo of oral mag and lotion, and she has been STTN! She had been waking up around 2-3am and staying awake for an hour or more. I read in passing that waking up around that time at night can signal mag deficiency (and she has a couple other symptoms of mag deficiency), so I decided to try and up her mag. I don't know if it's related or not but I was pleasantly surprised! I need to be more consistent in general with mag lotion for myself. The oral I've been taking is just not cutting it.

Stiina
10-18-2013, 08:42 AM
I put mag gel on my 1yo's feet. It stings on her anywhere else so I just put a tiny dab on the sole of each foot. And Epsom baths too.
But krista you just inspired me to keep up with it better....sttn??? sign me UP!!!!!

Caecelia
10-18-2013, 12:57 PM
IKR? Full disclosure here: we also were out of the house every morning this week exploring different play areas. I also gave her a bath both nights and she um, had a few sips of my ovaltine. You know, in case those things contributed. I'm not getting superstitious or anything... ;)

Stiina
10-18-2013, 01:10 PM
I don't know what ovaltine is but no matter!! She sttn! :jump2 Congrats mama! :highfive

Caecelia
10-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Ovaltine is chocolate milk mix. DH thinks it's healthy because it has vitamins added in. :rolleyes

We stayed home and no ovaltine tonight, just mag. :nails :giggle

Stiina
10-19-2013, 09:00 AM
We did mag yesterday afternoon and pop PEED THE BED:scratch and was up waaaaayyyy more than usual and we had a terrible night with 3 hrs sleep.

I'm not blaming the mag because we have used it before, but lately it hasn't been every day...but, ugh. I'm mad.

Why can't we have a miraculous solution?

How was your night K?

Gentle Journey
10-19-2013, 09:42 AM
So it's detoxing? Is this safe to do while PG? Start with a lower dose?

Caecelia
10-19-2013, 09:46 AM
We did mag yesterday afternoon and pop PEED THE BED:scratch and was up waaaaayyyy more than usual and we had a terrible night with 3 hrs sleep.

I'm not blaming the mag because we have used it before, but lately it hasn't been every day...but, ugh. I'm mad.

Why can't we have a miraculous solution?

How was your night K?

:hugheart That sounds frustrating. Well, DD got in 8 hours before she woke up freaking out when I got up to go to the bathroom. She was up for a little bit but not as long as she normally has been.

Caecelia
10-19-2013, 09:49 AM
So it's detoxing? Is this safe to do while PG? Start with a lower dose?

It's my understanding that during pregnancy you don't absorb mag as well, so I'm thinking a normal dose won't be enough to reach detox point. Other things like dry brushing are a safe way to detox during pregnancy, and I've lumped mag in with 'safer' detoxes in my mind.

Dovenoir
10-19-2013, 10:06 AM
I've seen ancient minerals listed as a supplier for Mag Chloride but are there any others?
Posted via Mobile Device