PDA

View Full Version : Making a "placemat" for meal devotions

Tengokujin
06-24-2012, 12:31 PM
OK, so I have this idea to start having more devotional content at our family meals. I want our kids to start being more familiar with the parts of our service that stay the same week to week, some of the readings, Lord's Prayer, some song responses, nicene creed, that sort of thing.

I was thinking that I could make a see-through placemat for each of us with those parts of the service cut out of our bulletin.:think My first thought was clear contact paper on a colored posterboard back.

But then I thought-would there be SOME product that would let me make a placemat that I can periodically put different stuff in it to change it up??

Does this make sense? Can you picture what I'm talking about??

Any ideas of how to do this, products, etc.?

Kiara.I
06-24-2012, 12:42 PM
What about just using a clear silicone placemat over top of whatever paper you want? It wouldn't be quite as sturdy, but would protect from basic splashes.

Tengokujin
06-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Hmmm. We seem to specialize in things that go far beyond basic splashes. I need something pretty impermeable to liquids.

Like--a ziplock bag that kinda seals to itself within the bag--can you picture it?? Where I could zip it shut but if the air was out, a basic stickiness would hold the paper stuff in place and from shifting around??

Marrae
06-24-2012, 01:57 PM
You need a laminator. Once you get one, you start laminating everything. :shifty I don't think they are very expensive and imo really worth the $$. :)

sweetpeas
06-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Laminators are great, and I love mine, and use it ALL the time, but I don't know of a way to make something that you could change out the papers with a laminator?

Somewhere a few years ago I saw a suggestion to get the clear plastic table cloth that grandmothers put over their cloth tablecloth, and put it on the table w/ pretty scripture verses the family is memorizing or the kids' artwork or whatever under it. That wouldn't be placemats, but would otherwise accomplish what you're trying to do.

Alternately, you could probably get one of those tablecloths and cut it up and sew pretty fabric behind it, sewing up 3 of the 4 sides, so that you could slip things in & out of the 4th side.

Tengokujin
06-24-2012, 07:10 PM
You know, that clear plastic, as I recall, sticks to itself. I wonder if I could use two pieces of it to sandwich the stuff together. It would be splash proof enough I think for my purposes, and I can wash it and reuse it. Easy too, if I can find it.

I have to do SOMETHING like this, and if it's too much fuss I won't do it.