PDA

View Full Version : undiagnosed/ignored food allergies

greendelight
06-20-2012, 09:33 AM
What are the effects of an undiagnosed or ignored food allergy? Both short-term and long-term.

3boysforme
06-20-2012, 09:52 AM
My wheat allergy was diagnosed 18 years ago but ignored by mother. I figured out earlier this year that I cannot have wheat

Long term issues:

Itchy, dry, scaly, skin
Chronic constipation or diarrhea
Stomach cramps
Muscle aches
Joint pain
Heavy black bags under eyes
Chronic migraines, two or three per week
Bloat
Hair loss
Itchy scalp

Not sure about short term :think

greendelight
06-23-2012, 07:45 PM
:think

That's a lot of issues!

I was thinking along the lines of untreated allergies may lead to conditions which will worsen over time or cause something else entirely (like cancer).

Mainly because I'm not having any real symptoms and am tempted just to forget I was ever told I was allergic to anything...but I also don't want to be doing some irrevocable damage either.

Katigre
06-23-2012, 07:48 PM
It can lead to further auto-immune reactions.

Damselfly
06-23-2012, 08:11 PM
For my son it meant dental issues and delayed growth. It meant daily rages, some self-harming and negative self-talk. It meant social anxiety which coupled with his rages meant he ended up with delayed social skills.

hey mommy
06-23-2012, 09:17 PM
:cup i need to get myself and the boys tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetpeasmommy
06-24-2012, 08:40 PM
We didn't realize C was allergic to anything until he was allergic to nearly everything. It wreaked havoc on his poor immune system.

Macky
06-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Depends what the allergy is. You can simply grow out of some allergies.

DD1 is allergic to peaches, apples and dates. The allergist who tested her said that judging by the degree of the reactions, she may grow out of the apple allergy (which we're seeing already), but likely not the peach allergy. (ETA: There's not a way to test for the date allergy when we don't have access to fresh, properly ripened dates here; we're having to go by observation on that one.)

If you're not seeing symptoms anymore, I'd get re-tested.