PDA

View Full Version : what might causes food sensitivity in pad thai?

greenishmama
06-20-2012, 04:59 AM
I have been to a local Thai restaurant twice in the past 2-3 months and had pad thai. They said no msg. Both time before leaving the restaurant I felt ill- headache, flu-like. ?? I get that way now and then but don't keep a food journal. But twice in a row after eating pad thai seems to be a strong coincidence. Anyone know what could be in it that might cause a reaction like that?
(It seems to be a fresh cooked place- takes a while to get food even when the place is empty)

MomtoJGJ
06-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Fish, shrimp, peanuts/oil?

mamamonkey
06-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Peanuts (in the sauce), shrimp (if it came with chicken and shrimp) :think

greenishmama
06-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Fish, shrimp, peanuts/oil?

it was chicken only

I eat peanut butter several days a week with no problem ??

StumblinMama
06-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Peanuts or soy.

We cross posted. Did it have soy?

MomtoJGJ
06-20-2012, 06:51 AM
ok, I've never had pad thai... but all the ingredients lists I'm finding have some sort of fish in it. Unless fish sauce doesn't have fish :think

They all also have some sort of nuts...

StumblinMama
06-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Are we sure they truly don't have MSG? Have you ever reacted to MSG?

mystweaver
06-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Have you eaten anything else there, or could it be something in the atmosphere there? I don't react to the thai food at one of the local restaurants, but their infusers give me a nasty headache.

DancingWithElves
06-20-2012, 09:59 AM
that sounds exactly like a) msg reaction b) nightshade reaction
they often present in the same way.
i no longer take restaurant's word for it, when they say no msg :no

Kiara.I
06-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Is it possible they used "Hydrolyzed Soy Protein" but not MSG? (Note, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein *contains* large quantities of MSG, so....)

greenishmama
06-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Are we sure they truly don't have MSG? Have you ever reacted to MSG?

I don't think I have reacted to MSG before. Maybe I should have some and see! We don't eat many foods with it but now and then it sneaks in (DH does most of the grocery shopping and does not like to read labels...) and sometimes I have ok'd it- like in a certain marinade we liked a lot. but I guess it would be worth eating something with msg to see what happens.

I used to eat more soy- tofu, soy protein, etc. and if I had any sort of reaction I didn't know it because it wasn't all the time. Lately I try not to eat soy but it's hard to avoid completely (for us anyway...).

Maybe we could get pad thai take-out next time so I'm not in the environmnent- then I can eat the yummy pad thai at home and see if I react. oh- but then I still won't know to what!:shrug3

olive
06-21-2012, 05:52 AM
I would guess that it's MSG or similar 'flavour enhancer', probably some six hundred number, there are lots of things with misleading names that are essentially the same as MSG. You can find more info here http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/additive-and-natural-chemical-factsheets/621-msg-and-the-new-flavour-enhancers

Zooey
06-23-2012, 07:33 AM
I would guess that it's MSG or similar 'flavour enhancer', probably some six hundred number, there are lots of things with misleading names that are essentially the same as MSG. You can find more info here http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/additive-and-natural-chemical-factsheets/621-msg-and-the-new-flavour-enhancers
This.
I actuially think that some of the other things are worse than the actiual plain MSG, but that's *my* reaction....

delightedmama
06-23-2012, 03:13 PM
My daughter has flu-like reactions to fish sauce, which usually contains hydrolyzed protein. Our pad thai recipe calls for fish sauce. Interestingly, we eat large amounts of soy sauce and other msg products (live in China) and she's fine with them.

Rabbit
06-23-2012, 03:34 PM
It is possible that it is an environmental reaction, not a food reaction.

mamaKristin
06-23-2012, 03:35 PM
I'd vote on the fish sauce being an issue. :yes

L-Boogie
06-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Fish sauce, soy sauce (and therefore gluten), peanuts were my initial thoughts.

DahliaRW
06-23-2012, 04:24 PM
I was wondering about gluten too, are yous sensitive? Most restaurants don't make theirs with soy sauce, but a few do.