PDA

View Full Version : senior dog and cat having health issues

DolphinMemae
06-14-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm asking for :pray4 for my dog, Gideon, who has been getting sicker very gradually for a while. We took him to the vets, as well as the cat, last week. Gideon's bloodwork came back indicating that he most likely has a long term illness like something I don't remember or cancer. They will be doing more tests next week to see if we can figure out what we are dealing with.
Cancer scares me. My mom died of cancer when I was 20, and I was a primary care giver so I saw all the raw horribleness of it up close. I don't know what we will do if it's cancer.

Almay, the kitty, was soooo sweet :heart. We put her in the pet carrier with a bath rug on the bottom to make it more comfortable. The whole time we were at the vets she kept scooching her head under the bath rug. It was as if she were saying, "this is only real if I see it." or " if I can't see you, then you can't see me or be doing all this to me." It was hilarious to watch. The vet and her assistant were very willing to work around the bath rug over head if it kept her happy. She only squirmed when it started to fall off, and then it was just in an effort to get back under it.

Almay actually has an infection in her ears, so we have treatment for that, too.

PrincessAnika
06-14-2012, 05:04 PM
:pray4 :hugheart

DolphinMemae
06-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Gideon seems a little perkier today. Probably that he is getting special food he loves and the medicine is helping him feel better. He is now on Tramadol, same as me,

kiloyd
06-18-2012, 07:48 PM
What is Gideon's age?

So hard when our beloved pets get old. :hugheart:pray4

Llee
06-18-2012, 08:04 PM
How wonderful about the rug and the kittie. :giggle :heart

I hope that all is peaceful for the pets and for you this week.

DolphinMemae
06-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Sorry my responses have been so slow. I'm feeling pretty low and haven't been on the computer.

Gideon was born April fools day in 1999. The joke is that the owners of Gideon's parents didn't think the needed to worry about neutering their pets because they were different breeds so he's 13 years old. He has really bad cataracts. We will be doing a special ultrasound later this week (I think) and maybe x-rays later.

Almay is still acting fond of that bath rug :giggle. It's still in her box which if left in the bathroom for her to sleep in when she wants to.