PDA

View Full Version : I just sewed up a really cute nursing shirt...

solatido
06-13-2012, 10:30 AM
...only to discover that it is too tight on me!! I used two shirts and cropped one short, inserting an elastic/drawstring casing in that layer and cut nursing slits in the full shirt. Then I sewed the shirts together. And it's really cute! And I have materials to make FOUR more shirts like it! And they are all the too-small size :hissyfit It'll be somewhat better once my supply regulates a bit and I shrink down (who knows when that will be), but right now it is indecent and I probably won't be comfy in it later... I like my clothes loose. They were cheap shirts and must have shrunk a lot (plus it is hard to judge postpartum shirt sizes when you are buying them while 8 months pg).

I'm bummed :( Will have to go shopping soon.

cro
06-13-2012, 10:34 AM
:hug I'm sorry it doesn't fit. All that work and now you can't even wear it. :( It sounds really cute, though. Do you have any pics?

MrsHutch
06-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Maybe you could swap it here for something you could use? I'm sure there are plenty of mamas who would love a nice nursing shirt.

solatido
06-13-2012, 06:48 PM
That's a good idea! I also have some IRL friends who are pregnant who might have better luck. I did take a pic, will have to post it later when there isn't a baby sleeping on me :melting

pastelsummer
06-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Oh where did you find the pattern?

blondie
06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
:popcorn

solatido
06-13-2012, 07:19 PM
http://www.crafterella.com/2010/04/how-to-make-nursing-top-using-t-shirts.html

Only I kept them as t-shirts b/c I found more fitted ones ("junior cut") on sale at Joann's- I got xl, which is about the same as adult m, but I really needed xxl in that cut (which of course they don't make), or l in regular adult sizes. Anyway,I changed up the ties and casing by doing this:
-leaving an allowance in the crop top and sewing the casing out of the excess fabric in the bottom of it
-using the bottom seam from the cropped shirt to make the ties- I cut it off just above the stitching, cut that into two pieces and turned them inside out (a lot less work than sewing up new strips!)
-attaching a piece of elastic between the two ties so I had tie-elastic-tie. the elastic was long enough to make the whole back slightly gathered, and then after I pulled the tie through, I tacked the ends of the elastic down at the side seams of the shirt. This way it stays gathered in the back even when the ties are untied in the front.

I just discovered that it isn't as indecent in the evening when my supply is lower, so maybe there is hope. It is still tighter than I'd like, though. Maybe when my older DS weans and I'm only nursing one :think That could be a while, so I'll probably just sew them up and pass them on to someone else or swap them.