PDA

View Full Version : If you were to design the perfect diaper bag, what would you include/exclude?

DolphinMemae
06-04-2012, 10:24 AM
(this one is for a new mom, so no siblings to take into consideration at this point.) She will be working away from home - no plans currently in place for who will care for baby while Mom is at work, though I suspect it will be completely unprepared Dad. Anyway, diaper bag can involve more than one bag and/or removable parts.

Have an appointment but will be checking back as soon as I'm home.

Niphredil
06-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Outside pocket for the phone and a key clip, for sure. Those are the things you access most frequently and somehow *always* sink to the bottom.

What would actually be really cool is some how for there to be a smallish purse that you could use both in the bag for purse items and also some how take out for times when you don't need your whole diaper bag.

I'd definitely make it in some grown up pattern or colour and NOT baby colours.

bec28
06-04-2012, 11:39 AM
I love using a backpack, so having some sort of straps that could convert it to a backpack or messenger type bag.

Can'tTurnLeft
06-04-2012, 11:49 AM
I love a small clutch. I just want one or two diapers and wipes with room for my phone, keys, and wallet. Big bags lead to clutter for me.

blessedmamaofmany
06-04-2012, 11:54 AM
A removable small holder for JUST a diaper and wipes. So, she can grab a dipe and wipes if she needs just that.

A separate compartment for purse items.

Out side pockets that can close

Changeable straps

ShangriLewis
06-04-2012, 11:59 AM
For a working mom it needs a cooler place for pumped breast milk or prepared formula/food.
Room for extra clothes, blanket, diapers, wipes.
Small pockets for small items like nukes, spoons, hair ribbons.

DolphinMemae
06-04-2012, 12:09 PM
So...

* adult colors/design

* wallet, phone, and key clasp (and maybe small purse area) that easily attaches/detaches or easy in/out

* small bag part that holds maybe 2-3 diapers without extra space to collect clutter.

:thinkwhat is a good provision for wipes these days? Is there a standardish size/shape container for wipes that is pretty common?

- the material I have is canvas type in totally non-babyish print (I purchased it to make back-pack but never made the backpack so figured I'd use it to make diaper bag.

Help me make a list of things there needs to be a place for (like wipes, rash treatment, disposable bags....ooops. I think they want to go as natural/non-disposable as possible. Don't know if they want disposables for travel and natural for home or all natural.

All you mamas who chose to use natural/non-disposable diapering supplies, how would you adjust a design of diaper bag to accommodate for that?

Aerynne
06-04-2012, 01:40 PM
A HUGE changing pad- not those tiny newborn ones they make.

AFA cloth diapering, a few included, matching wet bags would be awesome (but not required). A separate pocket for diaper covers would be good for me (I use prefolds and covers). And since with cloth, you end up carrying the dirty diapers around, the fabric needs to be cleanable so you can get the smell out fairly easily. Some people who use cloth also carry around a small bottle of homemade wipe solution, but since the same people usually don't use formula, those can go in the bottle compartments in most diaper bags.

How about a place to keep Mom's water bottle?

DolphinMemae
06-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Those are super suggestions.

Would you by any chance know a good formula for the wipe solution?

Also, is the PUL I can buy at the fabric stores good to make the washable bags from?

Aerynne
06-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Here are some natural wipe solution recipes:

http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-wipe-solution.shtml