PDA

View Full Version : Crochet-DH wants a blanket

NayneeNoo
06-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Does anyone have a blanket pattern that is suitable for a relative beginner and comes together (relatively) quickly? We replaced the carpet in our basement with hardfloor and DH came upstairs complaining it was too cold down there now. When he tried to use the crochet blanket my great grandmother made, I told him to put it back and take my blanket (he puts his toes through the crochet blanket and it's broken the yarn in places--it's nearly 30 years old, so I'm guessing the yarn isn't in good shape anymore), so he asked me to make him one. Anyway, sorry so long since all I need is a basic blanket pattern. :giggle

StumblinMama
06-01-2012, 08:59 PM
This (http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/rectangle-grannies.htm)is super simple. You can easily memorize the pattern, and you just stop whenever it's the size you want :tu

backtobasicsmum
06-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I'd do a HUGE hook with 3 or 4 strands of yarn and just do a single or double crochet the entire time. It will go fast, b/c of the big hook, it's too "hole-y" for toes to get stuck in, and is nice and cozy to snuggle in.

DragonfliiMama
06-02-2012, 06:55 AM
Also use bulky or super bulky yarn. :yes Or combine any/all of the above. ;)

NayneeNoo
06-02-2012, 07:04 AM
:think I think I'm going to do a large hook (P, perhaps, if I can find one locally) with 3s strands (light blue, light green, and white, at his request) bulky or super bulky, whichever I can find. Chain 75, SC across for 60 rows. The pattern I found was for 2 strands at a time and the finished size is supposed to be 45"x70".

Thanks for giving me a jumping off point to use in my search for a pattern, ladies!

TestifyToLove
06-02-2012, 07:14 AM
BAD IDEA.

You will not make it through 60 rows of sc without wanting to poke your eyes out. You won't make it through 20 rows without wanting to poke your eyes out.

The only reason to do a blanket entirely of sc and torture yourself is if you are using it at as a canvas for crossstitch or something.

How skilled are you? Can you do dc? Even if you do nothing else, a blanket done entirely in dc will work up faster and has more variation than sc to keep you from wanting to SCREAM.

This (http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/neat-ripple-pattern.html) is one of the easiest ripple patterns I've seen. It only requires inc, dec and dc for the entire pattern. It works up fast, it's easy to see if you make a mistake and it's pretty when it's done.

DragonfliiMama
06-02-2012, 07:23 AM
I've used that pattern, and it's gorgeous. :yes You wouldn't need to do it in stripes, either, if you're planning on holding the 3 colors together, that will give you enough interest in the color to just do it all the same "color", which means less ends to weave in at the end.

I've tried doing something large in straight sc, mostly b/c I didn't know any other stitches and didn't have immediate access to look anything up when I started it. It's very pretty bulky weight yarn, maybe a foot tall (maybe?), and long enough to hang off the edges of my queen size bed. At least 2 skeins worth of yarn, maybe more, I don't remember. And it's been sitting in a drawer for over 5 years, I don't even remember exactly how long anymore, while I try to figure out what to do with it. The idea of throwing it out and wasting all the time that went into it hurts. The idea of trying to continue working on it in straight single crochet long enough to turn it into something useable hurts even more. :doh

The ripple and granny squares/rectangles both work up very quickly. :yes

NayneeNoo
06-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Ok. Yes, I can do DC. I wouldn't call myself a beginner persay (I just taught myself in March) but I've already made a hat, 4 purses, a baby blanket, a bottle holder, a little purse to hold feminine products....I feel like i'm forgetting something. :giggle Anyway, all that to say that this isn't my first project, but it is my biggest.

DragonfliiMama
06-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Here's a couple more very easy patterns, either one could be adapted to the yarn/hook you're planning on.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/super-simple-throw
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/5-1-2-hour---holiday-throw-smaller

NayneeNoo
06-02-2012, 07:47 AM
:think I'm liking the look of the second one you posted, Amii. I wouldn't do the fringe (it would drive DH crazy) and I'd have to make it bigger (he sleeps in the basement b/c he has ridiculous insomnia and keeps me awake) so that he can use it as a regular blanket. :think That should be easy to do, though.

DragonfliiMama
06-02-2012, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't do the fringe either. :giggle