PDA

View Full Version : DIY play kitchen - ideas and questions?

justbreathe
05-31-2012, 06:27 PM
I've wanted for a long time to have a play kitchen for my kids but they always seem out of our budget. I would love to build one but I'm just not very crafty. BUT, my mom has an ugly pretend-wood entertain center that I could maybe repurpose. :think

Can you spray paint that particle boardy stuff that has the wood-look adhesive on it? (do you have any clue what I'm describing by that? :giggle) Can you drill into it, as long as it doesn't need to bear any weight?

One of the things that holds me back is that I wonder if my bigger two are getting too old for a play kitchen. :think But, anytime we go somewhere that has one, it's the first thing they are drawn to.

Any suggestions or ideas for inexpensive ways to turn it into a kitchen?

staceylayne
05-31-2012, 06:31 PM
So fun! We turned a Craigslist entertainment center into a play kitchen. It was fun to do and has been a hit with the kids! I'm on my phone now...but I'll post more info and pics when I can get to the computer.

Niphredil
05-31-2012, 06:54 PM
We made one out of cardboard and duct tape. It cost about $15 and it was red, white, and stainless. Super cute!

celestial princess
05-31-2012, 06:54 PM
http://ana-white.com/plancatalog

one of my all time favorite time wasting sites :giggle go to find plans by project type and select play kitchen

staceylayne
06-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Here's our $25 craigslist find before (it was also particle board):

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/parkers0426/internet/DSC_1327.jpg

And after:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/parkers0426/internet/IMG_1479.jpg

I decided to leave it white so we didn't have to paint, but you can find Rustoleum (sp?) spray paints that adhere to plastic and metal and I'm sure those would work on what you've got.

We used bead-board for the backing, a dollar store bowl for the sink (have since found a give away small faucet to add), got knobs for free at a local appliance store/repair place and the burners are CDs spray painted black. We had the towel hook on hand (it's actually a TP holder) and spray painted it to match the new hardware. I stitched up a curtain on a tension rod to hide the storage because it was easier than making doors.

It was really a fun project and I like how it turned out for much, MUCH cheaper than the other non-plastic kitchens I like. And it's a custom match for our playroom. :rockon

If you have a pic of the entertainment center you have to work with maybe we can help brainstorm ideas! :)

ETA: I tried to resize the pictures but they still seem huge to me. Sorry!

justbreathe
06-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all the input!

The unit is in my mother's garage and i should be getting it tomorrow. I'll definitely post pics, as I'm not so creative and crafty. I'm starting to get little ideas of what I can do. I had planned to use painted CD's for the stove burners too! :) I've seen spray paint and contact paper that is chalkboard-y and i"m thinking of putting some of it on the side, so the kids can draw. We don't have any pavement anymore and they really miss drawing with chalk!

justbreathe
06-04-2012, 09:56 AM
staceylayne - y'all did an awesome job on that play kitchen! It looks great!

So, MIL showed up this morning with a cheap plastic play kitchen from Walmart. :-/ Oh well, so much for my big plans!

staceylayne
06-04-2012, 10:52 PM
staceylayne - y'all did an awesome job on that play kitchen! It looks great!

So, MIL showed up this morning with a cheap plastic play kitchen from Walmart. :-/ Oh well, so much for my big plans!

Aw, thanks. :O We had fun with it.

You could use the gifted kitchen as a "test kitchen" to see if your kids will get a lot of play out of it. Maybe if it looks like it would be a hit long term then you could work something up using your mom's furniture for Christmas? Then again, I don't know how your MIL is, if she would mind her gift being replaced. :shrug

Atarah
06-04-2012, 11:19 PM
:cup
Posted via Mobile Device