PDA

View Full Version : Paleo/Primal Pregnancy Update

Katigre
05-29-2012, 01:22 PM
I've posted a bit about how I've gone paleo/primal in my eating over the past two months. Just wanted to give an update on how that's affecting my pregnancy in particular as that is a common question people ask. I haven't had any grains in over a month now and my 'added sugar intake' per day is under 25g/day. I'm eating more vegetables than I ever have before in my life. I feel like sometimes people think primal/paleo is all about eating lots of meat but that's not true - the focus is on eating REAL food (not packaged/processed) that gives your body the energy and fuel it needs. And that includes plenty of fresh produce, plenty of healthy fats, and seeds/nuts in addition to animal proteins like meat and eggs.

So...how I feel is awesome - my energy level is sky-high (I don't feel like I'm pregnant except for the baby kicking and the larger belly - but a lot of the little 'normal' complaints people have just aren't there for me even though they were before).

I get tons of comments on how great I look (not 'you're so pretty' but 'You look so healthy! you look great!' from medical professionals as well as people I run into in regular life. It must really show in my body how well this lifestyle of eating is working for me :rockon. My skin is clear with no blemishes, I have zero swelling, my BP was 116/68 today at the midwife (even though I had just spent 10 minutes excitedly talking about things which normally raises the bp a bit), baby is growing great, etc...

I had been concerned about weight gain (i.e., not gaining enough) because weight loss is common when people eat primal/paleo. At my last midwife appointment (just 2 weeks after I'd cut out grains) I'd only gained about 1 lb. in a month (prior to that I was gaining 2 lb/month). But after that appointment I became very intentional about eating more food/higher fat food/higher carbohydrates (from primal-friendly foods) and this time I'd put on 5 lb :rockon. I'm up 21 lbs total for the pregnancy and am happy with that :yes. It's a good healthy weight gain for where I'm at (30 weeks pg). I no longer worry that eating primal isn't compatible with a healthy pregnancy because all points of measurement (bloodwork, growth of baby, weight gain) as well as how I look and feel have never been better. I have never felt so good while pregnant - not even with DS's pregnancy which was great.

A few weeks ago I posted in a thread here about how I didn't like being pregnant much and it was basically a means to an end. Now I feel like I could easily do another pregnancy no problem - having my 'normal pre-pg energy' is huge and I'm so thankful :rockon.

So I write all this just to update since I know I had been asking about how to gain weight while eating primally. It didn't turn out to be too hard - I added more avocados to my diet and more full-fat coconut milk, I made sure to include extra carbohydrates each day from fruit/dried fruit/dark chocolate (85%+), sweet potatoes as well as more fats. I'm going to stop eating the little bit of dairy that I have been as I know I'm intolerant (have been for years) and my eczema is flaring due to it, but previously had been doing greek yogurt and plain kefir too. I think I can keep gaining weight well without it though - we'll see. I did a food journal for a week this month to make sure I ate at least 150+ carbs per day as that seems to be the magic number for weight gain. I think I've shifted my mindset from 'non-pregnant/lactating eating habits' to 'pregnant lactating/eating habits' fairly well, and I'm interested to see how I do while nursing where I typically have a difficult time keeping on enough weight. Hopefully the things I'm learning now will help me stay strong and healthy while nursing too :).

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

And DH has decided to go paleo/primal too - he hasn't had any fast food or junk in two weeks and is feeling pretty good :rockon.

Psyche
05-29-2012, 01:22 PM
I really want to start toward Primal again.

LearningMama
05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Thank you for the update! Happy to hear your pregnancy is going well :)

crunchymum
05-29-2012, 02:04 PM
:rockon

Housekat
05-29-2012, 02:35 PM
:ty

I'm finding it really hard eating enough carbs/calories for tandem nursing - thanks for the higher fat tips :)

SortaCrunchy
07-21-2012, 07:33 AM
This is so helpful! We are transitioning to paleo as well and I've been trying to find some resources/research on paleo and pregnancy. It seems like the big names in paleo/primal are men and I'm having a hard time finding pregnancy-specific information. Thank you so much for sharing what is working for you!

Did you do paleo in your first trimester? I'm struggling right now with all-day intense nausea and many of my favorite paleo-friendly foods are unappetizing (actually revolting) to me - things like bacon and eggs, grass-fed ground beef, even avacados. And I'm really missing my favorite bedtime snack from previous pregnancies - a bowl of sugary cereal and milk.

Just wondering how paleo has worked with others in the first trimester and if I should stay strong in no-grain or be more lenient with that until the nausea passes.

Katigre
07-21-2012, 07:48 AM
This is so helpful! We are transitioning to paleo as well and I've been trying to find some resources/research on paleo and pregnancy. It seems like the big names in paleo/primal are men and I'm having a hard time finding pregnancy-specific information. Thank you so much for sharing what is working for you!

Did you do paleo in your first trimester? I'm struggling right now with all-day intense nausea and many of my favorite paleo-friendly foods are unappetizing (actually revolting) to me - things like bacon and eggs, grass-fed ground beef, even avacados. And I'm really missing my favorite bedtime snack from previous pregnancies - a bowl of sugary cereal and milk.

Just wondering how paleo has worked with others in the first trimester and if I should stay strong in no-grain or be more lenient with that until the nausea passes.
I did not do paleo in my first trimester - I didn't find out about it until I was 20ish weeks along. My first trimester was spent mostly in bed chowing down on white flour bagels and thus I gained 11 lbs in the first 11 weeks :shifty.

I would be very gentle with yourself 1st tri and eat what you can stomach - even if it's grains. Try for healthier versions of grains (sprouted/fermented - maybe a high quality sourdough bread?) if you have them. But honestly - I wouldn't stress about it. Also make a list of high-carb paleo-friendly foods and ones that are sweeter vs. savory tend to help too (so more fruit, try smoothies, etc...). I'd try including white rice as an option too as that is mild and usually non-nausea inducing. You don't need tons of protein the 1st tri anyway.

Housekat
07-21-2012, 08:03 AM
:think Mark's Daily Apple has an essay on the website about breastfeeding and pregnant mothers - he suggests a carb load of about 250 grs a day IIRC.

Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/5-primal-superfoods-for-fertility-and-pregnancy/#axzz21GmTOUhd

Hmmm no mention of carb load. That wasn't what I was thinking of then.

Katigre
07-21-2012, 09:44 AM
:think Mark's Daily Apple has an essay on the website about breastfeeding and pregnant mothers - he suggests a carb load of about 250 grs a day IIRC.

Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/5-primal-superfoods-for-fertility-and-pregnancy/#axzz21GmTOUhd

Hmmm no mention of carb load. That wasn't what I was thinking of then.
I've never read a specific 'you must get this many carbs per day while pg/nursing' recommendation, just that it is important NOT to restrict carbs b/c your body is in 'marathon runner mode' for that stage of life (and I absolutely agree with that - my metabolism is completely different when pg/nursing than when my child is older and weaned :yes). Basically to listen to your body, eat plenty of healthy foods and healthy fats, and to consider higher-carb paleo/primal foods as needed (sweet potatoes, quinoa, maybe white rice, dried fruit, higher carb vegetables/fruit, maybe some full fat dairy if you can tolerate it - I can't, etc...).

I've read a lot about primal pregnancy and I think every article I could find on MDA on the topic :giggle. He doesn't recommend a specific carb level, though I go by his carbohydrate curve for the 'insidious weight gain' category which is where I've found the 150-175g/day is what helps me gain weight, and 100-125g is where I maintain weight. I think I'm done gaining weight for this pregnancy now though - maybe just a pound or so more before giving birth. The heat really saps my appetite (always has) and the baby is squishing my stomach such that I can't eat as much at a time as I used to. I'm still feeling great - bp is good, I have ZERO swelling and that is with this 90 degree heat!, good energy levels, sleeping well, etc...).

I have found that now that I'm in the last week(s) of pregnancy my body is craving a lot of carbs again and my protein needs/appetite has dropped (I believe this is in preparation for the marathon of giving birth) - right now I'm drinking a giant smoothie that has 75g of carbs by the time I finish it. I can also eat entire bags of sauteed greens and not want to share with anyone else in the house. I'm still getting plenty of healthy fat, and I've found that getting 1/2tsp of Real Salt per day prevents those notorious nighttime leg cramps. But a month ago I could have easily eaten 3-4 eggs with greens for breakfast and now I can stomach maybe 1 egg or one small piece of chicken but no more protein than that at a time.

Housekat
07-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Ah yes - 150 . Sorry :cool

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

HA! Found it!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/nursing-primal-blueprint-diet/#axzz21HDZfQdW

That said, I’m not one to suggest a no- or very low- carb diet (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/zero-carb-diet/) during exclusive breastfeeding. Although I know there are plenty of mothers who have successfully done very low carb diets throughout their nursing duration, I generally suggest staying in the moderate carb range (100-150 grams/day) for a number of reasons. Although the presence of ketones (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-ketosis/), some of which can potentially be passed through breastmilk, might throw off the taste of a mother’s milk, I haven’t read anything to suggest that they compromise the health of the baby. The real issue, I think, with going extremely low carb is nutritional. It’s just flat out difficult to obtain fully rounded nutrition from very low carb diets. Cutting carbs too low generally means doing away with not just sugars and grains but antioxidant rich vegetables and fruits.

Katigre
07-21-2012, 09:54 AM
:giggle You had me all freaked out there for a minute about trying to do 250g/carbs a day. Funny how what I figured out on my own (stay above 100g, aim for 150g+ if you need to gain weight) is what he said too.

PaperMomma
07-21-2012, 10:49 AM
How awesome!!! :rockon

ECingMama
08-01-2012, 09:27 AM
:cup

Allison
08-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Love this! I'm not strictly primal, but I agree with what you said about it not being all meat and instead being about REAL FOOD. I eat grains, but am very picky about them and there is such a difference in how my body handles them now, just four months in to my real food way of life. :rockon

I hope to eventually have another baby and I am working to heal my body before that. I look forward to a pregnancy where I have energy and feel great. I don't even miss the foods (or "foods") I used to eat.

Katigre
08-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the bump :). I'm at the very end of my pregnancy now (39w2d) and still feeling great. I have zero swelling (wedding rings still slip off easily) and my energy level is good. My overall weight gain is 24 lbs (maybe a pound more since that was based on my weight last week at the midwife) and my skin is clear.