PDA

View Full Version : Possible tick bite reaction?

MTmomma
05-26-2012, 02:44 PM
I have no clue what's going on with me. Two weeks ago we went hiking, and a day later I was just scratching my head, pulled what I thought was a fuzz out of my hair about an inch above the hairline at the nape of my neck (right by my scalp), saw a little bug on my finger, freaked out and threw it off my finger, and then realized that it looked a lot like a tick. I had a friend and dh check the spot where the tick (I'm almost positive that's what it was) was located when I scratched it off. There was definitely a spot that looked like it had been bitten, but it didn't look too bad, and they couldn't see a head or anything left behind. I had dh check for a bull's eye rash a few days ago, and he couldn't see anything. I haven't felt sick, so I thought I was in the clear for anything. Well, yesterday I woke up and had a big hard bump, maybe nickel or quarter size, about 1/2 inch above the bite spot. It didn't go away through the day, and when I woke up this morning, it was actually hurting. And it's just been a dull sort of throbbing pain all day long.

At this point, I have no idea what to think. Is this related to the bite? Is it something I need to be seen for? Or is it something completely different?

HomeyT
05-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Hmm I was under the impression that if they bit you they latch on and it's very painful to remove...unless you suffocate them.

We have a nurse health line here...if it were me I'd be calling to see if it's worthwhile to go into the doc.

MTmomma
05-27-2012, 03:26 PM
I have no previous experience with tick bites, either on myself or someone I know, so I have no idea if it's supposed to hurt or not. :shrug3 I'm thinking that if it's the same size and still hurting on Tuesday, I'll make an appointment. We live in a very rural area, so no nurse hotline, and I'm actually even skeptical that an appointment in town would even be helpful. Buuuuut, I have to start somewhere. I am kind of concerned right now. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or if my gut is telling me something I need to pay attention to. :(

HomeyT
05-27-2012, 05:36 PM
it's important to listen to your instincts. i truly hate to go to the doctor, but glad they are there when we need them :) hope it's all healed up by tuesday. have you googled your symptom? maybe you'll find some more information.

swimming with sharks
05-27-2012, 07:05 PM
We get ticks here daily. :sick:shifty Ticks do attach 'bite' but you can pull it off :shrug3 sometimes they do die, you might have caught it with your fingernail. :yes It sounds like it could be a swelling around the bite. Our tick bites ALWAYS ITCH like CRAZY. :scratchinglikecrazy :yes

It almost sounded like the hard lump you were describing could be a lymph node thaw was swollen up. My kids have nodes I can feel really well and when they swell it's distinct :shiver

If you're not feeling sick and there's no rash, I'd wait it out and watch the bump. If it gets worse, hurts more, etc etc then I'd go check it out. Otherwise I'd skip going in over it. :hugheart

Rabbit
05-27-2012, 07:07 PM
The nurse line would be attached to your health insurance, not your town.

mamacat
05-27-2012, 07:28 PM
we have had a lot of tick bites here too and the ones near your neck almost always cause a node to enlarge - it really helps to get Bentonite clay on if you have some as soon as possible - we always do peroxide 1st then the clay asnd it really helps keep the reaction down.Tick bites can get sore and itch for months sometimes!

MTmomma
05-27-2012, 07:37 PM
have you googled your symptom? maybe you'll find some more information.

I have, but I'm not sure that was the right thing to do. :doh It is so hard to tell what symptoms are like mine or not. :shrug3 I did see that it could be a swollen lymph node, but I don't know if the location lines up or not.

ETA: So if there was something going on with the bite that I needed medical attention for, what things do I need to look out for?

Rabbit
05-27-2012, 07:42 PM
If you have insurance, see a doc and ask. :hug