PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Menstruation Pads?

JenniferJuniper
05-23-2012, 07:41 PM
So I've been looking at mamacloth and the like, and I just can't afford 30$ for 3 pads. :hunh

Does anyone have a good pattern or tips as to how to make your own menstruation pads?
I'm actually pretty new to the whole idea of using re-usable pads, as I tend to be more of a tampon girl, but I'm so turned off by the chemicals and flushing them, that I'm looking into alternatives. :)

Peace,
-Jenny

mamamonkey
05-24-2012, 05:19 AM
Giving you a :bump

I know there are mamas on here who make mama pads. Hopefully one of them will see this!

crunchymum
05-24-2012, 06:00 AM
When I made mine, I just made a pattern from the 1 cloth pad I had. I used flannel (that I got super cheap at Joann's) and some PUL to help them not leak. They weren't perfect, but they worked. ;) if I was using them for anything besides immediately post partum, I would have look into putting snaps or Velcro on them. I think you can find pretty good tutorials out there. :yes

Kazimiera
05-24-2012, 06:05 AM
I don't make my own but I buy mine on etsy and they are 8 for $32.00. I really like them. Also if you are a "tampon girl" you might want to look into a mooncup. I have never used one but the gals who do swear by them.

Pearl In Oyster
05-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Our own MamaGoose has a tutorial on how to make them on her blog:

http://lavenderdaydream.blogspot.com/2011/08/cloth-mama-pad-sewing-tutorial.html

HuggaBuggaMommy
05-24-2012, 06:14 AM
I just traced a disposable pad with wings, used flannel with a fleece backing (I don't like PUL), and got a cheap snap setter that works fine, as long as you don't pull too hard.

I also have Diva Cup, which I love. I only use the cloth pads as back-up now to the Diva, and then a cloth panty liner daily.

JenLovie
05-24-2012, 06:35 AM
I found a free online pattern (I don't remember which one) and made a bunch with PUL scraps, flannel layers or terry layers and fleece scraps for the top. I have snap pliers (Joanns sells them now) and use snaps on the wings. They aren't pretty, but they work great.

itzj
05-24-2012, 07:47 AM
I followed mamagoose's and modified them a little. I used pul because I'm terrified of a leak. And I used velcro to close them because I didn't want to invest in snap pliers.

JenniferJuniper
05-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I followed mamagoose's and modified them a little. I used pul because I'm terrified of a leak. And I used velcro to close them because I didn't want to invest in snap pliers.

That is an awesome idea. I was worried about having to invest in snaps/pliers, thanks!

So I'm going to cut up flannel from old bedsheets for my liners, and I'll see if FabricLand has PUL - but I doubt it. We don't have a Joanne's in Canada. :shrug3 So I'll have to figure something else out.
Thankfully I don't have a very heavy period, so I'm willing to try without PUL to see if that'll do. :)

I asked my Mum if she had any leftover fleece or flannel, and she asked why.
I had this split-second desire to lie and make up a project because I was worried she'd think I was nuts. But not so, she asked if I was still interested in using the diva cup, and then told me to go raid the linen closet for old sheets.

Good ol' Mum, rolling with my crunchy-ness. :heart

I think it'll be a while before I bring up family cloths though...:think :shifty

Peace,
-Jenny

P.s. I always get a kick of seeing how many "Jenny's" are on here. :D Always nice to meet another Jen. We should form a club, with t-shirts, and buttons, and a secret handshake. :D

Marielle
05-24-2012, 12:01 PM
I figured there was no reason to reinvent the wheel so I snagged one of the disposables I had on hand. It was one of those with wings types and I just fixed the one thing that always bugged me about them. I made them longer and I widened the back bulb slightly so that had more coverage in that crucial part. Then I decided what to use for the absorbant material. I decided on double napped flannel (3 layers in the soaker plus a final top layer) and then PUL for the bottom. They are super thin (thinner than the disposables) and still absorbant enough to work just as long as sposies. I think I made them almost 5 years ago and they're still going strong.

I just sewed the soaker part to the top layer then I serged the PUL to the flannel section and added snaps.

BeckaBlue
05-24-2012, 12:35 PM
You can also use microfleece instead of PUL. Or if you can find a nice lightweight wool sweater that you can felt and cut, then use that instead of PUL (I don't find good sweaters for that often, but occasionally they're around :))

Autumn
05-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Just seeing this and I was going to share my tutorial, but you found it :giggle:heart

JenniferJuniper
05-27-2012, 09:20 PM
So I read that microfiber makes a great 'insert' between the flannel, true??

-Jenny

cro
05-27-2012, 09:46 PM
I've made this (http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/organiccotton/clothpads.html) pattern. I like the option to add absorbancy. For snaps, I just use the metal kind that you set w/ a hammer (only b/c that's what I had on hand :giggle).

Microfiber can work for an insert - it's very absorbant. Just keep in mind that the compression leaks that can happen w/ pads too - not just diapers. ;) If you change your pads often enough, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Peridot
05-27-2012, 09:50 PM
I made mine with a flannel sandwich of water resistant ripstop nylon in the middle. then I cut a terry cloth soaker, and only stitched it down at the end, so that when i wash them- they get superclean. :yes

I also put ric-rac strips on either end so i could stuff extra terry liners on top. totally pirated Lunapads design- but they've changed theirs now, so... :shrug3 :shifty

JenniferJuniper
05-28-2012, 05:34 AM
I've made this (http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/organiccotton/clothpads.html) pattern. I like the option to add absorbancy. For snaps, I just use the metal kind that you set w/ a hammer (only b/c that's what I had on hand :giggle).

Microfiber can work for an insert - it's very absorbant. Just keep in mind that the compression leaks that can happen w/ pads too - not just diapers. ;) If you change your pads often enough, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thats good to know. I also found this site and want to make this pattern, so I'm glad it works! :yes
I found velcro 'dots' - I don't have any snaps, so I'm going to sew these dots on instead. :D

Lol, thanks for the warning!! I'll be sure to watch out. ;)

Peace,
-Jenny

SewingGreenMama
06-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Here (http://theecofriendlyfamily.com/2011/06/mama-cloth-plus-free-patterns/) is the pattern I used.

and Here (http://leasenchantedcloth.blogspot.com/2012/05/switching-to-mama-cloth-on-major-budget.html) is the pattern I came up with for mama's with no sewing machine and/or zero money for start up. I was only able to start mama cloth because I had all the materials already on hand and I can sew but I know many can't sew but need mama cloth, so this is my solution!