PDA

View Full Version : Crafting in public...

Wonder Woman
05-18-2012, 07:01 AM
I tend to bite my tongue on ravelry when I read all the posts about "oh I can't knit in public, my spouse won't let me" or "my mom says I can't knit in public"... but I don't have to bite my tongue on my blog :shifty

http://therealrebeccadiamond.com/crafting-in-public

Close2MyHeart
05-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Lol. We have ladies who bring their knitting to church and women's meetings. :)

hey mommy
05-18-2012, 07:07 AM
My first response was:hunh:hunh:scratch at those comments. I crochet in church! If I didn't cart a toddler everywhere with me, I would crochet in lines too. LOL But he tends to rip my projects apart. :(

that's crazy. Great blog, BTW!

ThreeKids
05-18-2012, 07:08 AM
I never knew there was any taboo about it. My dh will sometimes complain if I sneak off to do a sudoku at his mom's house, but that's not about the sudoku, he thinks solitary things like that shouldn't be done on a social call. I don't so I win.

Wonder Woman
05-18-2012, 07:09 AM
I totally would have made it through church a lot better if I had been able to bring my knitting (of course...I tuned out on purpose, and knitting lets me concentrate on what's being said, so it was a blessing in disguise I guess :shifty)

I love Saturdays when I listen in to church on Skype, because I grab my coffee and my knitting and chill and listen in. One of my friends here is an Anglican priest and she's given me a standing invitation to bring my knitting to church :giggle

I just always, always, always have at least one knitting project on me at all times, that gets pulled out as soon as I have any wait time at all. I get a lot knit that way!

poleidopy
05-18-2012, 07:09 AM
:scratch really? People are embarrassed by...knitting in public!? :hunh That's all kinds of weird...

RosalieMarie
05-18-2012, 07:11 AM
I still don't know how you do it! My husband certainly wouldn't mind, but my brain can't handle it! I can't focus on that many things at once. Keeping multiple small people alive may have something to do with it I suppose, but even when I'm alone I can't just whip out my knitting unless I know I'm going to be sitting for a LONG time.

Wonder Woman
05-18-2012, 07:14 AM
apparently some people do get embarrassed by it, but I really don't understand it!

I was in Starbucks once and pulled out my knitting while I waited for my coffee (it was a LONG line, and I planned to sit and knit after.) These two guys sitting there looked at me all funny and started wisecracking, and I gave them my most devilish look and asked "do you see how SHARP these sock needles are? What was that you were saying?" :shifty They stopped teasing me about it :shifty

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

I still don't know how you do it! My husband certainly wouldn't mind, but my brain can't handle it! I can't focus on that many things at once. Keeping multiple small people alive may have something to do with it I suppose, but even when I'm alone I can't just whip out my knitting unless I know I'm going to be sitting for a LONG time.

It's definitely easier to KIP when you have one 8 year old :giggle He pretty much entertains himself!

And at least you don't laugh at me when I KIP every time we're together :lol

Damselfly
05-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Awesome blog post!!! :heart I used to crochet and spin with a hand spindle in public all the time and will again once finances aren't so tight. I love what you said about people's comments about not having time to craft.

My DH has never been embarrassed by me crafting in public. I never even thought about it.

I think the most fun part about crafting in public is the attention it gets from kids. They love to watch. Apparently many of them haven't ever seen someone crochet or spin before. I like to think seeing it may plant a seed that will grow a crafter someday. :)

4MKfam
05-18-2012, 07:34 AM
DH and I have a friend in ministry who often does a small woodcarving project in public. He brings his work with him, finds a place to sit outside where people are gathered, and waits for people (most of the time, it's kids :) ) to come and ask him about it. It's a great conversation starter.
Being a capital-I introvert, I find it's a good non-threatening ice breaker in a public situation. I don't have to start the conversation --most of the time the other person's interest in the knitting I'm working on does it for me :).
Knitting in church.... Oh, how I wish I could get away with that here. Too many non-knitters that don't understand what you mentioned --having my hands busy helps me concentrate on what I'm hearing. Most non-knitters don't understand how that works.
As for me, I'm blessed to have a husband who is also artsy-crafty and is usually working on something of his own while I'm knitting. He has no problem with me knitting in public :lol.

hey mommy
05-18-2012, 07:37 AM
I actually got the idea to crochet in church by a well-loved lady in church who was crocheting during the service. :lol

AdrienneQW
05-18-2012, 07:40 AM
I would *love* to craft in public.

Since my craft of choice is machine embroidery, I don't see that happening. :giggle

NayneeNoo
05-18-2012, 07:41 AM
I just started crocheting in March, but my projects have already gone with me for a doctor's appointment (in the waiting room), as well as Wal-Mart because I knew I'd be sitting and waiting for my prescription. It seemed a better way to occupy my time than piddling on my phone. I currently dream crocheting at night, so why not when I'm out in public, actually awake, too? :giggle

ETA: Oh, that said, I couldn't crochet while in a Bible study or at church. I can barely listen to the TV while I'm doing it. My brain can't focus on both at the same time. :giggle That may have to do with the fact I've only been at it a couple months. I tried to crochet at my cousin's house and my grandmother kept reaching over to rip out what I was doing so that I could "loosen up". Drove me crazy. By the time I finished the square I was working on, I realized between her doing that and trying to join in the conversation, the square was all wonky. :giggle So if I have to hold a conversation, I stop what I'm working on or don't bring it at all.

JenLovie
05-18-2012, 07:44 AM
I would *love* to craft in public.

Since my craft of choice is machine embroidery, I don't see that happening. :giggle

:giggle

I used to knit in public all of the time before DS1 was born. I used to get lots of comments in college.

HomeWithMyBabies
05-18-2012, 07:45 AM
I can't tell you how many times I've sat down in a quiet room with a book or a video to attempt to learn the most simple knitting stitches and it doesn't take. So I definitely understand the sentiment "I don't have time." :giggle I need to concentrate to work on that stuff and I can't in public (or even at home :shifty). However give me an embroidery project and we're good to go assuming I have two hands free...which generally I don't at this point, but someday. I love to see people working on stuff out in public, it's fairly common in the waiting areas of the offices we frequent. :yes It is a nice way to start a conversation.

NayneeNoo
05-18-2012, 07:48 AM
I can't tell you how many times I've sat down in a quiet room with a book or a video to attempt to learn the most simple knitting stitches and it doesn't take.

I tried years ago to learn crochet and knitting by book and oh, was it a disaster. :giggle I still haven't tried knitting again, but considering how well crocheting is going after looking up YouTube videos, I might. I do most of my work on projects at night after the kids go to bed.

Wonder Woman
05-18-2012, 08:04 AM
I can't tell you how many times I've sat down in a quiet room with a book or a video to attempt to learn the most simple knitting stitches and it doesn't take. So I definitely understand the sentiment "I don't have time." :giggle I need to concentrate to work on that stuff and I can't in public (or even at home :shifty). However give me an embroidery project and we're good to go assuming I have two hands free...which generally I don't at this point, but someday. I love to see people working on stuff out in public, it's fairly common in the waiting areas of the offices we frequent. :yes It is a nice way to start a conversation.

I'm that way when I'm learning something - it takes some serious time alone with no distractions. Once I learn it though, it's all fair game for public work! (Well, ok. Maybe not machine embroidery, I can see where that would be not-public-friendly :lol)

One of my favorite tat-in-public stories involved my old glasses - I had the frames with magnet for the sunglasses. I was doing the 3 hour glucose-tolerance test (not while preggers, just for my insulin issues) and so I was sitting there tatting in between blood draws.

I use a tatting needle and a crochet hook, so I'd park my hook on my glasses magnet in between using it :shifty This guy was staring and staring and staring and after 2 hours he said "I have to ask - HOW are you making that stay there?!" and I smiled and said "crafters are magic." and left it at that.

(For a few minutes, then I took pity on him and explained :giggle)

HomeWithMyBabies
05-18-2012, 08:15 AM
:lol Neat trick

I still have a gift cert for a knitting class. My Dh gave it to me, it was years ago now. :shifty. If I can ever get over there perhaps they can cure me!

Damselfly
05-18-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm that way when I'm learning something - it takes some serious time alone with no distractions. Once I learn it though, it's all fair game for public work!

I'm that way too. :yes My attempt to learn tatting at a tatting group was a disaster---several opinionated ladies all attempting to teach me their way. :crazy

Petie
05-18-2012, 08:26 AM
My husband loves me making projects in public. I can't right now because I'm making a queen sized double thick crochet blanket. It's heavy and BIG! But, when I have smaller projects I am constantly carrying them with me. I can't imagine being embarrassed by it. By the way, I have been trying to knit a sock for months and I keep having to pull it out every time I get to the shaping. I have to say, I am jealous that you seem to do them without issues. :D I wish I could figure them out.

Wonder Woman
05-18-2012, 09:18 AM
the way that really clicked for me - Melissa Morgan Oakes Two at a Time book - I really prefer the toe-up one.

It's so much easier to knit them that way, no picking up stitches along the heel flap! :giggle

ArmsOfLove
05-18-2012, 09:44 AM
:scratch really? People are embarrassed by...knitting in public!? :hunh That's all kinds of weird...

that lesser known public shocker KIP (I wonder if people would explode if you KIP WHILE NIP ;)

Wonder Woman
05-18-2012, 09:47 AM
remember knitting socks in Starbucks at 11pm while we waited for my flight out, Crystal? :giggle I wonder if that lady ever did start knitting in public...

(We were sitting there laughing hysterically because Crystal's first foray into socks was about like mine, and this lady came over and struck up a conversation with us - she had never KIP'd, and said we gave her courage to! :giggle)

ArmsOfLove
05-18-2012, 09:48 AM
I do remember that :lol she was so nice, too :)

RosalieMarie
05-18-2012, 10:07 AM
that lesser known public shocker KIP (I wonder if people would explode if you KIP WHILE NIP ;)

I actually HAVE done that! At a park! And at knitting group, but that probably doesn't count as "public".

mystweaver
05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Is it some sort of alternate dimension where people don't do this? :giggle If I didn't see at least 3-4 people knitting in class every day at college (guys included), I figured something was wrong.

cro
05-18-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm still shocked that ppl are embarrassed by crafting in public. :jawdrop I'd love to do it more, but I usually have at least 2 kids w/ me when I go out. But on those rare events where I get to go to the dr by myself...you bet I try to get there early and have a few more minutes in that waiting room to knit! :rockon

SilverMoon
05-18-2012, 12:12 PM
I've read that in other cultures it's considered rude to K/CIP. I've never experienced any disparaging looks or words when I CIP. Instead, I love that elderly people are always talking to me about what I'm making, how their mother/MIL/grandmother crocheted/knit and they love the memories. I'm often told how happy they are to see someone of my 'generation' carrying on the traditions.

My biggest dilemma is to decide how much information to share when asked, "What are you making?"

I did post a comment on the blog. My husband has only once discouraged me crocheting in public. We were going to attend a hockey game (semi-pro league in the area) and I asked if I should take it. I usually get into the games, so he said, "Why would you crochet at a hockey game?" I started crocheting during the sermon at the last church we attended. However, for me, it was to distract FROM the sermon. When I'm making something for someone I think about that person, how they'll use it, their life, how they've blessed me; it's like the prayer-shawl project, but with any item I make. I found it interesting that parents started letting their older daughters crochet during the sermon after I started.

houseforjoy
05-18-2012, 12:33 PM

well maybe everyone is knitting those breast hats :giggle because those are soooooooooooo offensive ;)

poleidopy
05-18-2012, 01:18 PM
well maybe everyone is knitting those breast hats :giggle because those are soooooooooooo offensive ;)

Well, maybe if a person is going to be all obscene and knit breast hats, they should do so under a hooter hider. That way there's NOTHING to be embarrassed about!:snooty

:shifty :lol :wink

NayneeNoo
05-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Well, maybe if a person is going to be all obscene and knit breast hats, they should do so under a hooter hider. That way there's NOTHING to be embarrassed about!:snooty

:shifty :lol :wink

:snooty Sorry to say, but I STRONGLY disagree. Hooter Hiders would make it obvious what they were doing. They should take it to the bathroom, where that kind of stuff belongs. In PRIVATE. :shifty :giggle

StoryOfGrace
05-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Pre-DS, I used to CIP all the time! :hearts I have this awesome over the shoulder brief-case-type-bag with pockets on the sides for my hooks (pens and pencils? What? No, they are for hooks!), and the top opens with a zipper. I love that thing! I'll wear my project around the house sometimes, so that I am able to keep up with DS while getting something done.

Also...I'm trying to fathom what it would be like to have a spouse/partner embarrassed by it. :scratch
:giggle If I'm not careful, my DH will take my project when I'm not looking and try to do some crocheting. :lol

JessicaTX
05-18-2012, 02:11 PM
I brought my crochet to church once and my husband told me I was being extremely rude. Apparently me listening and interested and occupied is not as acceptable as me sitting there with a vacant look on my face and totally tuned out :P I never see anyone else craft in public though, so I thought maybe he was right.

hey mommy
05-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Pre-DS, I used to CIP all the time! :hearts I have this awesome over the shoulder brief-case-type-bag with pockets on the sides for my hooks (pens and pencils? What? No, they are for hooks!), and the top opens with a zipper. I love that thing! I'll wear my project around the house sometimes, so that I am able to keep up with DS while getting something done.

l

I need to get one of those for my mom. She usually puts her stuff in a Target bag. :giggle hmm, that would make a great belated Mother's Day gift...

Wonder Woman
05-18-2012, 02:19 PM
I brought my crochet to church once and my husband told me I was being extremely rude. Apparently me listening and interested and occupied is not as acceptable as me sitting there with a vacant look on my face and totally tuned out :P I never see anyone else craft in public though, so I thought maybe he was right.

He was wrong :shifty :giggle

I tell people I am being like Dorcas! I mean, no crafting from the naughty section of Ravelry in church, but as long as you aren't hitting people in the face I don't see why it would be rude :think

mwwr
05-18-2012, 02:24 PM
After a decade of watching me NIP, I'm sure dh was glad that I switched to KIP. :mrgreen

JoEllen
05-18-2012, 04:12 PM
When I was in high school, I remember on occasion we would have a substitute who would sit at the desk and knit. :hunh So, yeah, when you're supposed to be making sure that thirty teenagers don't kill each other, crafting is not the brightest idea in the world. :no

But for the most part, I don't see the problem with crafting in public. Like if I'm taking one of my kids to the dentist, I will sometimes bring along some crocheting or stitching or other totable projects to keep me occupied. :yes

Annainprogress
05-18-2012, 04:27 PM
When I was making my kids jean backpacks last year I did some of the hand sewing bits standing in bank queues etc. that got a lot of comments :giggle

4MKfam
05-18-2012, 04:27 PM
:raise All in favor of a CAK smilie? ....:shifty

(CAK = Crafting At Keyboard, of course ;) ...Leaves a little to be desired, onomatopoeically speaking, though :think)

hbmamma
05-18-2012, 05:02 PM
I've brought sewing & crocheting with me to waiting rooms (I sit in waiting rooms about 3-4 hours a week)

I've *might* have had a strange look, but I don't really pay attention to others like that. I've answered questions from little kids and adults... it's fun to see them light up about it...

What bugs me is that no one would think of firing up the ol' smart phone and playing, texting, talking, etc., so why can't we craft? (Far more productive, IMNSHO) :shifty

Starfox
05-18-2012, 05:11 PM
I took the kids to the YMCA childcare spot (where you leave them while you work out) but instead of working out I was stuffing and stitching up the bellies of my giraffes. :giggle:giggle:giggle

The Y is where the cool crowd 65+ hangs out around here in the middle of the day, so there were lots of questions and people stopping to see what I was doing. :giggle

I've never ever thought of CIP as being offensive!!! :jawdrop

I'm jealous of all the knitters and crocheters. We need a GCM yarn arts meetup where noobs like me can learn from the pros! :heart

poleidopy
05-18-2012, 05:47 PM
When I was in high school, I remember on occasion we would have a substitute who would sit at the desk and knit. :hunh So, yeah, when you're supposed to be making sure that thirty teenagers don't kill each other, crafting is not the brightest idea in the world. :no

Desperate times call for desperate measures. When put in charge of that many teenagers, some people might drink....some people would craft.... :shrug3 :giggle

JoEllen
05-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures. When put in charge of that many teenagers, some people might drink....some people would craft.... :shrug3 :giggle
Nah. She was just lazy. Another substitute used to sit at the desk and fall asleep. Nothing "desperate" about it. :shrug3

kiloyd
05-18-2012, 06:05 PM

I never would have thought. :hunh

Starfish
05-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Beware KIP. It's risky :nails..actually one time I KIP at the laundromat, I got so dizzy from watching the knitting needles move in front of the black and white checkerboard floor pattern, and then looked up to the spinning clothes in the dryers that I felt sick. That (combined with the fact that I had skipped lunch that day) made me feel like I was going to pass out. I had to lay down on the floor, and the nice attendant brought me a bottle of water and about three bags of chips from the vending machine. So not only was I the weird girl who was knitting at the laundromat, I was the weirdo on the floor trying not to faint.

You may be thinking it was all a lack of nutrients in my system at the time...but I say beware KIP in a checkerboard environment :P~

Waterlogged
05-18-2012, 06:28 PM
I guess y'all will need to stage a Knit-In.

cro
05-18-2012, 06:43 PM
We could go to Kotex and crochet some tampons.

mwwr
05-18-2012, 07:27 PM
But for the most part, I don't see the problem with crafting in public. Like if I'm taking one of my kids to the dentist, I will sometimes bring along some crocheting or stitching or other totable projects to keep me occupied. :yes

I always say bringing my knitting makes the doctors work faster, and if it doesn't, well, I don't mind so much. :)

JenLovie
05-19-2012, 05:54 AM
We could go to Kotex and crochet some tampons.
:roll

Marielle
05-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Hmmmm, interesting. I'm not an in public crafter but like rosalie it's most likely due to always being with children in public since I've learned to craft. It's only this year that I'm getting out and about more often sans children and I really need to remember to bring it along. Of course, I'm not into small projects (the thought of making those cute little amigurimi makes me want to claw my eyes out) so lugging around larger projects and weighing them, literally, against the weight of the purse/camera sometimes loses out.

I don't attend church in person right now but let's just say that if I had something to keep my hands occupied in church growing up I'd recall a lot more of the bible than I do now. ;) I can see some people getting offended as if your attention were diverted away from them but I'm sure an explanation on learning styles/adhd/what have you would suffice and if not - too bad, so sad.

bliss
05-23-2012, 12:28 PM
My choir director's hubby CIP's all the time. He was crocheting at our Christmas party and one of our more snide, P/A little old ladies :shifty came up and made some sort of comment about it being rude and he said "it's either this, medication that turns me into a zombie, or I'm naughty 8yo D again getting told to sit in the corner facing the wall because I can't leave people alone. ADHD self-medication is a beautiful thing." :haha

PrincessAnika
05-23-2012, 08:14 PM
i take my crocheting anywhere i might be able to get a few stitches in, especially if i am sans littles. so, the other week, it was dr appt x2, and my therapy appt - keeping my hands busy on crocheting also keeps me away from panic attacks in uncomfortable situations. :giggle wish i had more time for it though, i've been working on the same baby blanket for, umm......12 years :duck

HomeWithMyBabies
05-24-2012, 08:21 AM
I saw someone tatting in public today and immediately thought of this thread. :giggle

Wonder Woman
05-24-2012, 08:46 AM
I tat in public, too! :giggle

And Worldwide Knit in Public Day (er, Week) is coming right up: http://www.wwkipday.com/

Thankfulforgrace
05-24-2012, 09:23 AM

Well now you've challanged me :giggle. I'll just have to find room in the diaper bag (or get said diaper bag first, ha!). Maybe I should put baby in the knit boobie hat too for good measure :think:giggle

I love to knit in public. Makes doctor's waits so easy and the line at the post office! I don't knit in church though, I remember being distracted by it before I learned and I know there's many who won't understand so that's my personal comfort. I do feel like I'm wasting 30 minutes each week on my projects though :shifty...

So what do you all use to bring your knitting for quick outtings? I need something small maybe but I don't know if it will fit in my purse. I've cared my knitting in my purse but then sometimes have to pick up stitches which I'm not the best at :blush

Wonder Woman
05-24-2012, 09:27 AM
I mostly use these (or the two-at-a-time sock bags she makes, too.)

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/65884939?transaction_id=65884939

I love them because my KnitKit (http://www.theknitkit.com/) goes in the zipper pocket. I often wind up making one of these for my yarn cake: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/tatmom/bag-o-yarn

SilverMoon
05-24-2012, 05:49 PM
I almost bumped this thread today. My husband and I had somewhere to sit all day long so last night I ran out to the craft store, bought some yarn and a pattern, and crocheted the selected pattern all day long. One of the employees asked what I was making and the stitch I was using. (puffs)

Wonder Woman
05-24-2012, 09:59 PM
I wanna see! :giggle

SilverMoon
05-25-2012, 07:23 AM
I can show it after Saturday. ;)

ellies mom
05-31-2012, 03:13 AM

You kind of need to fit the project to the situation. If I'm making a lace shawl that needs a lot of attention or a lot of pattern checking, then I save it for those times when I can focus on it, like if I'm at the doctors by myself, getting coffee with the husband or getting my hair done. If I'm going to be chasing kids, up and down a lot or needing to pay attention, then I bring something a little more brainless or memorized. I have a small bag that I hang of my wrist that holds my yarn and pattern so I can easily knit while standing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earthmummy07
05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
I was CIP again today; I usually take my crocheting along to playgroup. Today, my only crochet project would involve having my head buried in the pattern book, so I chose to knit another side of my baby cardigan instead. Everybody was admiring my... admittedly very pretty... yarn. No one mentioned the fact that I was CIP, I think because they are used to me :giggle