PDA

View Full Version : Knit Picks interchangeables - harmony or nickel

forty-two
05-09-2012, 10:59 AM
So they are on sale for Mother's Day. I got the try-it-out pack, and I ruled out acrylic right off (too grippy). I like both the wood and the metal, but I'm torn at times about if the wood is not quite slick enough or if the metal is *too* slick :think.

I *think* I like the wood better, but they are more expensive and I worry they will break :nails.

Opinions? Experiences?

Marielle
05-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I prefer the nickle and find them way less slick than addis. Never held the harmonies in hand though.

UltraMother
05-09-2012, 03:27 PM
IME the harmonies separate and have to be reglued (really annoying when you've just knit a row of 400 lace stitches and your needle comes apart). The metal ones, being one solid piece, don't have this problem. Also, the harmonies break when stepped on. They are also too grippy for me.

SubarbanHippie
05-13-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't have the interchangeable (I am too in love with my Denise set), but I have owned both the Harmony and nicklel KP fixed circulars and I much prefer the nickel. The Harmony wood needles are pretty, but the I prefer the slick, sturdy nature of the nickel ones. Of course, I'm pretty partial to Addi Turbos.

ArmsOfLove
05-13-2012, 11:45 PM
I love love love my harmony wood :yes

the hard plastic was really bad about unscrewing itself. The nickel was okay :shrug3 But I love the wood :yes

and I do love the feel of natural wood. Plus, it's so pretty :)

BlissfullyEsther
05-14-2012, 01:05 AM
I've got the harmony set and i love them, but I would buy the nickel set if I were doing it again. The thinnest sizes break easily in wood and the join between the wood and metal isn't always smooth. I've replaced broken ones with nickel (kp replace ones broken while knitting, but not ones you've sat on, lol) and whenever I've bought extra tips they are nickel except for the short tips (to make 16" circs) which only come in wood. If you knit lots of very slippery yarn then the wood would be a better choice.

ncsweetpea
05-14-2012, 04:41 AM
I have the wood set and love them. I have had no issues with joins or breakage.

GraemesMomma
05-14-2012, 04:46 AM
I like nickel and wood for different things :think Interesting to read the varying experiences! Have fun shopping :D

tigerlily
05-14-2012, 05:22 AM
I'm a "tight" knitter and for me nickel is the best.:yes I love how smooth they are working with natural fibers and the sharp points help me to get into my tight stitches.:tu

Now, you do want to keep in mind that if you have any nickel sensitivities they definitely are not the way to go.;)

PacisEtAmor
05-14-2012, 06:27 AM
I have the nickle and really like them. And yes, the points are pretty sharp!

ellies mom
05-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Knitting needles are such a personal decision. I have a lot of metal needles and used them for years. But once I picked up a pair of bamboo needles, I never looked back. I love the feel of wood and bamboo so I tend to stay with it as much as I can. For me, the harmony needles are the best of both world. I get the loveliness and feel of the wood and they are slicker than bamboo. Not as slick as nickel but slick enough for me.

I've only broken one needle (sat on it). Otherwise, I've never had a problem with either my interchangeable set or fixed circulars.