PDA

View Full Version : homemade nursing pads

Little Forest
04-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Has anyone made your own cloth nursing pads?

I wanted to know if it would work to get a hold of cotton/polyurethane laminate and sew it with a couple layers of flannel.

What do you know? What do you think?

backtobasicsmum
04-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Just a little bump for you. I don't, but I know there are mama's here that do, so hopefully they will see this. :heart

joanna
04-26-2012, 07:44 AM
I just recently stocked handmade nursing pads in my shop, so I did a bit of research.

- 3-4 layers of flannel seems to be the standard.
- Sometimes a layer of cotton is added because that might be more comfortable against the skin
- PUL does create waterproofing, but some say not to add it because your nipples need to be able to breathe and dry to avoid infections/cracking/etc, and the plastic-y layer impedes this.

That's my research, but I can't actually sew, so take it FWIW :)

Little Forest
04-27-2012, 06:30 AM
Thanks, that is helpful to know.

I am wondering too about the PUL. From reading up on cloth diapers a couple years ago, I was under the impression that PUL is still more "breathable" so less chance of diaper rash compared with old fashioned vinyl liners, for example. I am not clear on how there is a difference though. :think I was thinking though that would translate into, not a bad way to have breast pads waterproofed.

Who am I trying to fool! By the time I would get around to buying cloth and pulling out the sewing machine and sewing it up, DD4 will be long gone weaned! :lol

JenLovie
04-27-2012, 07:47 AM
I made some with 3 or 4 layers of up-cycled t-shirts that I serged together. They're nothing fancy and don't have any PUL in them, but the work. The obviously need to be changed frequently when I leak, but I like having cotton next to my body.