PDA

View Full Version : Aloe Vera Juice?

MrsHutch
04-22-2012, 06:57 PM
DH's sister had some serious digestive troubles a couple of years ago and part of what helped fix it was drinking aloe vera juice. I bought some for J today, hoping that it would help his digestive troubles as well, but when I got home and googled it, there was a lot of controversy. Some people say it's the healthiest thing ever, but there was a study done where it caused cancer in rats. :-/

Anybody take it or ever taken it? Got any insight or thoughts on the rats study?

MrsHutch
04-23-2012, 05:00 AM
:bump for the morning crowd... anybody??

ValiantJoy07
04-23-2012, 05:20 AM
:cup

Psyche
04-23-2012, 05:44 AM
My mom drank it. I know people with chrons who have and swear by it. I am not gonna lie. It is straight up jankiest of jank nasty.

There is one high in added sugar at TJs that is actually yummy though.

I wouldn't worry about a cancer risk with it tbh.

MrsHutch
04-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Huh... I got one from TJ's yesterday without added sugar that doesn't really have much of a taste or smell at all. I did see the little individual-sized ones with lots of added sugar and junk.

sweetpeasmommy
04-24-2012, 10:20 PM
The ones I have seen all have added junk. We've never tried it. I think it can be hard on an unhealed gut.

MrsHutch
04-25-2012, 06:14 AM
The ones I have seen all have added junk. We've never tried it. I think it can be hard on an unhealed gut.

I thought that the point of it was to be soothing and healing for an unhealed gut... like rubbing the plant on an external wound.

sweetpeasmommy
04-25-2012, 08:14 AM
It's not allowed on GAPS until healing has taken place. :shrug I will poke SonshineMama, I think she has actual experience with it and hopefully an opinion.

tempus vernum
04-25-2012, 01:09 PM
We did aloe for gut healing and experienced the opposite. Our dd1 in particuar got worse and worse and eventually ended up diagnosed with 20+ food allergies. I am not saying this is typical but after I had sworn off aloe for those reasons I found that SCD and GAPS both frown upon aloe until " significant healing" has occurred. That basically supports my theory that aloe can cause problems on an already compromised gut.

Personally I don't think I will ever use aloe internally :think. IF we had no food allergies sensory issues or metk health issues. IF we had no health problems in our guts, then I may consider it for the occasional heart burn or constipation :think