PDA

View Full Version : Help dyeing some sweaters

Two Little Birds
04-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Okay, so I am a couple months out from doing this, however I am thinking about it so...

I have a sweater that is 90% wool, 10% cashmere that is not the right color for me and one that is 70% wool and 30% rayon that makes me look ill.

They are both higher end brands and I want to use a really good dye on them. So, suggestions? And can I dye the second one?

Kiara.I
04-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Yes, you can dye them both. They will pick up the dye differently, and dyeing is *always* an adventure, so you really don't know what you'll get when you're done, you know?

I've found iDye to be quite effective. Otherwise you can look at Dharma Trading for whatever they have. If you have an artists' supply store in your area they often carry dyes.

The other thing with dyeing wool is that you have to be careful not to felt it. Generally you want to dye in the hottest water possible, and agitate a lot so that the dye gets distributed evenly. If you do that with a wool or mostly-wool sweater, unless it is superwash wool (would say machine washable), it will felt. So...yeah. Use caution.

lenswyf
04-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Cushings dyes are very easy to use.