PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever sewn something you hated?

Rea T
04-07-2012, 06:34 PM
As in, completed or nearly completed it and realized that it is so far off from what the pattern looks like/what you pictured in your mind that you will never, ever wear it?

Yeah, I just spent most of the day sewing a shirt that is utterly unwearable. :( And it was supposed to be my Easter shirt.

Combination of lousy pattern and really cheap fabric. Given more time and better fabric I could possibly have saved it. But the fabric is so bad that I literally could NOT rip out any mistakes without shredding the fabric. :(

There are so many other things I could have done with my day.

mom2boys
04-07-2012, 07:01 PM
:hugheart yes, yes I have. :( It totally and completely sucks.

AngelaVA
04-07-2012, 07:18 PM
:hug Actually, I think pretty much everything I've ever sewn could be described this way.

JenLovie
04-07-2012, 07:22 PM
:yes I made a skirt that was too short and made my butt look HUGE. I reused the fabric.

Elspeth
04-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Been there! I found a very pretty and stretchy fabric and figured I'd make a maxi dress out of it. The straps were a joke. Super stretchy fabric + noob sewing skills = fail. :giggle

Aerynne
04-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Yep. I made my daughter a dress-up dress that was pretty awful. It's so discouraging when that happens. :hugheart

Sparrow
04-08-2012, 07:57 AM
When I was in high school I made shorts tht would have fit a200 lb man, who leg was 6 inches shorter than the other. I have not sewn since :shifty

Tengokujin
04-08-2012, 04:13 PM
I've done this a lot. It often happened when I wasn't realistic about how my body was different from what the pattern model had.

Rea T
04-08-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm glad to know that I am in good company! I was kind of questioning my entire existence as a person who knows how to sew! I was ready to declare "As God is my witness, I'll NEVER sew clothing again!"

And yes, I think the big thing was that even though the pattern was my size, it probably really wasn't something that would truly look good on my size.

mystweaver
04-09-2012, 09:34 AM
If God ever witnessed me swearing off sewing, I would have been struck dead at least 5 times by now. ;)