PDA

View Full Version : Patches and vests

swimming with sharks
03-27-2012, 02:47 PM
So those of you that sew patches on to various vests. HOW do you do it? :scratch The instructions on the patches tell me how to iron them on and :no it's BARELY working. I CAN sew them on, but how? Do I do it like I was appliqueing? :think Some other way? Do I just use a back stitch and do it by hand? :help

Kiara.I
03-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Mom always picked thread that was the colour identical to the edge of the badge embroidery and used that. She'd do a stitch that was basically a big spiral, so coming up through the vest just under the edge of the badge, then looping over the edge of the badge and down through the badge and the vest. It was always totally invisible.

Using contrasting thread is...visible. ;)

My kids aren't in anything that has vests/sashes/badges yet so I haven't had to do it since I left pathfinders in grade 9. ;)

Marielle
03-27-2012, 04:09 PM
You could also use invible thread. I've got some banging around here if you need it. It's the type you can use in the machine you may just have to play with tension.

FlyingBlueKiwi
03-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Liquid Stitch :rockon

kiloyd
03-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Mom always picked thread that was the colour identical to the edge of the badge embroidery and used that. She'd do a stitch that was basically a big spiral, so coming up through the vest just under the edge of the badge, then looping over the edge of the badge and down through the badge and the vest. It was always totally invisible.

Using contrasting thread is...visible. ;)

My kids aren't in anything that has vests/sashes/badges yet so I haven't had to do it since I left pathfinders in grade 9. ;)

This except I come up through the edge of the badge then go back through just outside the edge (so just going through the vest).

Rabbit
03-27-2012, 06:16 PM
I iron the patch on first, and then load up the sewing machine with a matching thread. I do a straight stitch in the little ditch in between the edging of the patch and the middle design. It's completely invisible in there. I don't try to applique stitch the edges down.

expatmom
03-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Patch glue. :tu