PDA

View Full Version : So MIL bought me a sewing machine

mommychem
03-23-2012, 03:34 PM
More than 3 years ago when we were pregnant with our first DD after she found out we wanted to have 5 or more children. She said there was no way we would be able to afford to clothe that many children without sewing their clothes. :rolleyes

It has been in its case for er, uhm, 3 years :shifty. It is nice imo, but really, what do I know? I can't sew :shrug and MIL never showed me how. It's a Brother Embroidery and Sewing Machine (Enthusiast).

So I want to take the plunge and start using it. Is very simple mama cloth a good start using flannel and terry (towels)? I don't even know how to pick fabric or what is what. And I already have/had to research so many other things for our family that I don't know if I can add something else to my plate (cloth diapers, breastfeeding, gentle discipline, food choices, curing tooth decay naturally, homeschooling, etc.). I was surely not groomed to be a SAHM. :end rant :sigh

I can do it, right????

WildFlower
03-23-2012, 04:23 PM
you should go for it! Is there anyway you can have someone teach you the basics? Also try to find a book or something on some basics too. If your sewing machine is new thought, there should be a manual that will tell you the parts and what they do and how to set it up and such. that will be VERY helpful. I have a 2nd hand machine that MIL gave me but it didn't have the manual. I have wished for one many times. I knew the basics that my mom taught me when I was younger, but often I have needed a manual and had to look up stuff online. You can google alot of stuff about sewing btw.

Kiara.I
03-23-2012, 05:33 PM
You can TOTALLY do it!

By the way, some quilting or fabric stores offer sewing classes, if there are any in your area. And sometimes communities have "Continuing Education" programs where people in the community can learn a second language, or how to cook Thai food or how to use a computer, and they often have sewing classes as well.

mom2boys
03-24-2012, 10:14 AM
yes, go for it!!
I second the idea of a class. The Joann's around here have classes like that. :) So does hobby lobby, IIRC.

cheri
03-24-2012, 10:38 AM
I sew-not as much as I used to, and it's more of a fun project thing than saving money.

My experience has been that when I have made dresses for my girls, it is not any cheaper than something I could buy. Once I buy the fabric, and buttons or zippers, thread, interfacing, or other decor... I really dony't know how making my own clothes could be cheaper. But it's still fun.

houseforjoy
03-24-2012, 10:48 AM
everything i learned about sewing i learned from the internet!! google sewing tutorials,look on you tube , ask here.! you want to make mama cloth? go for it!! google mama pad tutorial and read a bunch then just try it out!!

mommychem
03-24-2012, 10:55 AM
everything i learned about sewing i learned from the internet!! google sewing tutorials,look on you tube , ask here.! you want to make mama cloth? go for it!! google mama pad tutorial and read a bunch then just try it out!!

Wow! That's awesome!

you should go for it! Is there anyway you can have someone teach you the basics? Also try to find a book or something on some basics too. If your sewing machine is new thought, there should be a manual that will tell you the parts and what they do and how to set it up and such. that will be VERY helpful. I have a 2nd hand machine that MIL gave me but it didn't have the manual. I have wished for one many times. I knew the basics that my mom taught me when I was younger, but often I have needed a manual and had to look up stuff online. You can google alot of stuff about sewing btw.

Maybe I can ask MIL again to help...:think. My manual seemed very thorough - now if I can find the English version of it. :doh :giggle
You can TOTALLY do it!

By the way, some quilting or fabric stores offer sewing classes, if there are any in your area. And sometimes communities have "Continuing Education" programs where people in the community can learn a second language, or how to cook Thai food or how to use a computer, and they often have sewing classes as well.

A class sounds like a good idea!

thanks! :heart

Maggirayne
03-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Go for it! I started sewing mostly on my own. MIL showed me how to thread and stuff, and I got a doll kit with photos that was pretty simple.

You can also search for tutorials on Flickr or Pinterest.
I've made fleece diaper covers/skirties, babyleg knockoffs (super-easy from tube socks), dolls, ponchos, and I would say I'm an amateur. I just go for it and have fun.

One thing that's fun and easy is this kind of material (http://www.joann.com/mock-smock-cotton-print-fancy-nancy-posh-puppy/zprd_02218543a/) that is smocked and hemmed and you just sew up the seam in the back for a dress.

SalH
03-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Completely agree that sewing your own clothes isn't going to be a lot cheaper by the time you have bought all the extras (and inc the patterns, which aren't cheap).

Also am self taught. Learned on my mum's cast off machines and cried and shouted a lot over trying to get them work properly!!!! I started out making quillows from MIL's written pattern instructions and a real life one she'd made one of my children.

My mum and dad bought me an expensive machine 3 years ago and my sewing is t-r-a-n-s-f-o-r-m-e-d. A bad workman blames his tools... but sometimes if you buy a good sewing machine you find out sometimes part of it IS the tools!!!

I went to a quilting evening and made a midnight mystery quilt - had to finish it at home with web tutorials (i still refresh my memory about binding with a fantastic binding you tube video). I've made my first skirt. Need to update my blog about that, now I remember!

I am good at straight lines. :D I plan to go into dressmaking a little, but can't read traditional patterns and have anxiety about that but internet tutorials with photos inspire me not scare me!!!! I also plan to copy some clothes DD has to make further things.

Anyway, am saying that with a good machine, you should be able to start out making little bits and bobs you want, and have some fun / enjoy a new hobby. If you end up making great clothes too that will be a bonus. BUt use your lovely machine and have some fun.

I long felt inadequate about the machine my mum bought me, but my parents are really pleased with how I've got on (must make them a quilt!) and I have grown into it!

Is your MIL lovely and a person you get on with? Maybe you could invite her over to do a project or few together, some simple children's clothes?

mommychem
03-24-2012, 10:24 PM
:dance I'm so excited! It's after midnight, the kids and are asleep and... I'm finishing up my first mama cloth! :rockon I even sewed in a circle. I can't wait to make a dozen more. Thanks for the inspiration! I'll post a pic if I remember :wink :heart

SalH
03-25-2012, 02:51 AM
Sewed in a circle???!! No fair!!!! :)

houseforjoy
03-26-2012, 08:16 AM
:rockon