PDA

View Full Version : The Lysine Connection

lalaithnil
03-13-2012, 12:41 PM
As many of you know, I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy two weeks ago. Since that time, I have been researching like mad to try and understand what on earth is going on (since the doctor was oh-so-unhelpful.) I found out early on that one of the precursor's of BP is the herpes virus (not the STD, the other one :shifty) so I've been researching that as well. Since I had a fever blister on my lip a few weeks before the BP, and a sore throat, the herpes virus sounded like a likely cause. During the first week, I was very careful about what I ate, sticking to lean protein, veggies, and fruit. I saw marked progress that first week, to the point that most people who knew about the BP said they didn't notice it at all. I made some no-bake cookies (oats, cocoa, peanut butter, coconut oil, sugar) and enjoyed a few too many :shifty on Friday. When I woke up Saturday morning, the BP was markedly worse. Everything I had read said that the BP would peak in 3-5 days, then gradually improve. I could find nothing pointing to why it would get so much worse after 10 days. I wondered about the cookies I had eaten, if there could be some connection to the sugar, perhaps. I wondered if the virus had struck again, giving me essentially a second bout of BP on top of the healing first one.
After much research, I learned that the herpes virus (which a majority of people carry) flares up significantly when one has an imbalance of lysine and arginine. Most foods have both amino acids, but contain much more of one than the other. Foods that are rich in arginine are oats, peanut butter, cocoa, coconut, among many others. Basically, the no-bake cookies I'd scarfed were little arginine bombs. :-/ On Sunday, the BP was unimproved, and I developed a fever blister on my lip. Talk about evidence. So, I've since started a lysine supplement, and greatly modified my diet to include lysine rich foods, and seen marked improvement in the BP.
SO, my question, for my knowledgeable friends ;), can you tell me what you know about lysine? Is this something you're familiar with? What does it DO, exactly? Do you take it?
And why don't doctors make this connection?? 40,000 people a year develop BP and it is AWFUL and sometimes it never goes away! I've been :pray4 hard that mine does. It is very difficult to cope with. :(

raining_kisses
03-13-2012, 01:11 PM
oh mama!! :( I am praying for you. I hope this new info really helps you. :hug2

Barefoot Bookworm
03-13-2012, 01:32 PM
I have no idea but I couldn't read this and not at least give you a hug. :hug2

mamacat
03-13-2012, 02:00 PM
I think that BP can be one of those diagnoses for a group of symptoms like other dis eases that may be rooted in a virus or deficiency of some kind but in our current times most MDs are trained to give a collection of symptoms diagnoses and then medicines to treat the symptoms.That is awesome that you have made that connection! Was reading yesterday about how may different ailments that Bentonite Clay baths are helpful for so may want to consider that as well . My son had an odd patch of soreness by his mouth for a good while - not a fever blister but we started using an ointment that had Lysine in it and it healed

LilySue
03-13-2012, 03:22 PM
It must be six years ago now that my dh had Bell's Palsy, and we didn't find much help with conventional medicine. I have never heard of the lysine connection, I hope this is an option that helps you, but I just thought I'd tell you what helped dh. He ( a man who has always been very sceptical of alternative medicine, so you know how desperate he must have been) had accupucture and took some chinese herbs which did seem to help.

He thinks that his Bell's Palsy was caused by stress, his mother had just had a major stroke and he was trying to work full-time and be part of her caring team as well.

Incidentally his didn't follow the pattern of symptoms that you describe. He just woke up one morning looking to me like he had had a stroke, all the muscle control had gone from the right hand side of his face. For him it took about three weeks to gain some kind of muscle response, and eighteen months to do things like blink when he wanted to. Now I barely notice any difference in his face, but because he has neat symmetrical features, he and I can still see a slight imbalance, most other people don't notice.

Sending you :hug2 and hoping and praying that you see improvements soon.

lalaithnil
03-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Thank you, Ladies, for the info, hugs, and prayers!
Today is the second day I've been supplementing with Lysine (3000 mg/day, and yes, kellymom says it perfectly safe while nursing :wink) and I'm already having better movement. My eye is much easier to close, and after much twitching in my chin, my bottom lip will move a little more. :ptl

3boysforme
03-13-2012, 06:21 PM
That is very interesting. I wonder if it would help with Postherpetic neuralgia, which one can get after having shingles.

hey mommy
03-13-2012, 07:12 PM
:hugheart Intersesting observation. I'll have to try taking some and see if helps me at all.

Nobody notices a difference in my face, but I can feel it. And it's been since 1993. Holy crud, almost 19 years. :jawdrop

Maggirayne
03-13-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm glad you found that, and it's helping.
I have heard that lysine gets rid of canker sores, and arginine makes them worse.
I love sunflower seeds and nuts which are supposed to be high in arginine. :-/

hey mommy
03-13-2012, 07:19 PM
I have heard that lysine gets rid of canker sores, and arginine makes them worse.

Seriously??? UGH!!! :(

3boysforme
03-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Apparently the Lysine diet is recommended for shingles.

Maggirayne, I know, I just made a huge pot of steel cut oats for my breakfast this week. :-/ However my PHN seems to only flare up when I have a virus, like a cold.

lalaithnil
03-14-2012, 11:15 AM
That is very interesting. I wonder if it would help with Postherpetic neuralgia, which one can get after having shingles.
The doctor mentioned that shingles is also related to the herpes virus, but I believe it is a different strain than either the STD or the oral herpes. In any case, it does appear that the lysine keeps the herpes virus(es) at bay, so if the postherpetic neuralgia (with which I am completely unfamiliar) is a result of the shingles, I would think there is a strong possibility that it could help.

:hugheart Intersesting observation. I'll have to try taking some and see if helps me at all.

Nobody notices a difference in my face, but I can feel it. And it's been since 1993. Holy crud, almost 19 years. :jawdrop
:hugheart From what I have read, it is not unusual to have some residual effects. I would most definitely try adding a lysine supplement if I were you, especially since it is possible to get it again. I have my DH taking it too, as we've obviously all passed this virus around.

Yes, you're right. My sister suffers from terrible stress related canker sores, and she was supposed to be taking lysine, but couldn't swallow the pills (they are HUGE, but I don't have any trouble, big mouth that I am :)) I was very surprised at the list of foods that are high in arginine. CHOCOLATE??!! Oh no!! :jawdrop Here is the list that I have been using: http://www.sandiegohomeopathy.com/downloads/Lysine_Arginine_Foods.pdf
I think most ppl could probably benefit from the lysine supplement anyway, but I'd definitely recommend it for a diet high in nuts and seeds (and chocolate :wink)

Apparently the Lysine diet is recommended for shingles.

Maggirayne, I know, I just made a huge pot of steel cut oats for my breakfast this week. :-/ However my PHN seems to only flare up when I have a virus, like a cold.
See, and the herpes virus is SO widespread, that something like 90% of ppl carry it. So a cold, a sore throat, ear ache is often that same virus acting up, or rather a similar strain, since I think you're not supposed to be able to get the same virus twice. :think Is that always true though? I've heard of ppl getting chicken pox twice. :think

This is all really new to me, and it's changing the way I look at food, which is a really good thing. I have been praying for years for God to intervene and help me with my food issues, and I completely accept that He's doing it through Bell's palsy. I can't forget it, or hide it, and I know if I don't use food to heal my body, it could get much worse. Many ppl have cases so much worse than mine, to the point that they can't close their eye at all. :( I am lucky to only have it this bad, and looking at food in a new way, as something that can heal my face, is very new and life-changing for me. I am taking care of my body in a new way; my focus has always been trying to lose weight, but now that's taken a back seat to healing. And I need to heal my body for so many reasons: my face, of course, but also, because I want to have another baby, and we went through so many years of infertility and loss before B, that I don't want to go through that again. So this really is a positive thing for me, though moment to moment it's often hard to see that.
More twitches and even more movement today! :rockon:rockon It's improving! :ptl and Ladies, my friends, :ty2 for your support and prayers. It means a great deal to me. :hug :hug :hug :hug I wish I could squeeze you all for real. :)

mamacat
03-14-2012, 11:56 AM
wondering if going on a high lysine diet would help with any kind of virus during cold type illness etc.Any good links to what that would look like?

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

saw this:http://www.herpes.com/Nutrition.shtml so basically yu would try and eat the higher Lysine ratio foods?

lalaithnil
03-14-2012, 12:46 PM
wondering if going on a high lysine diet would help with any kind of virus during cold type illness etc.Any good links to what that would look like?

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

saw this:http://www.herpes.com/Nutrition.shtml so basically yu would try and eat the higher Lysine ratio foods?
http://www.sandiegohomeopathy.com/downloads/Lysine_Arginine_Foods.pdf
This is what I'm using. :)

Annainprogress
03-14-2012, 01:45 PM
"oral" cold sores = herpes simplex I
"genital" herpes (can also cause oral cold sores) = herpes simplex II
Chickenpox/shingles = herpes zoster

so yes all related viruses. unlike cold virus which you're not supposed to catch same one again, the herpes viruses lie "dormant" in your nerves forever and can flare up when immune system low (e.g. stressful times). rarely you can catch Chickenpox twice but usually only once. but once you have had Chickenpox you can get shingles which is flare up, usually one nerve one side of body so you get a "half band" rash. exposure to live cp virus after you've had it and are "immune" to Chickenpox actually reduces your risk of a shingles flare up because it boosts immune system's antibody response (one of the key reasons that we do not routinely vax for Chickenpox in the UK)

more and more conditions are being recognized as virus related I think. so it's interesting that BP might be. There's someone at my church undergoing testing for symptoms I suspect could mean BP so if that is diagnosis I'll have to tell her to look into lysine!

lalaithnil
03-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Great info, Anna! :ty2 so much!

Cherish
03-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Interesting, one of my docs told me a long time ago that if I felt a cold sore about to start that I should take L-lysine right away because it suppresses the virus. It works and makes abreva (otc med for cold sore that actually works too) more effective, I think. Also, I'm supposed to lay off the nuts when I think a cold sore is coming on. :) Praying you find answers and that it goes completely away!

lalaithnil
03-15-2012, 06:04 AM
Thanks, Cherish, and that's great that your doc recommended that! I really think so many problems could be helped by foods and supplementation, but I've never had a doctor recommend either of those. Although, it's likely that lifestyle changes aren't recommendations many ppl want to hear. Maybe some doctors assume if you're in their office, you want drugs. :shrug
And I do think many people, myself included, need to take more responsibility for their own health.

lalaithnil
03-15-2012, 12:03 PM
I can drink through a straw without holding my lip shut today. :)
It's improving, but this is difficult. :sigh

sweetpeasmommy
03-30-2012, 08:39 PM
How are you?

lalaithnil
03-30-2012, 09:48 PM
much improved! I'd say 80-90% back to normal and still improving. I can definitely tell a difference when I'm stressed or tired, but when I'm rested and feeling good, it's barely noticeable. :ptl

sweetpeasmommy
03-30-2012, 10:22 PM
One of our GAPSters experienced this and my homeopath suggested arsenicum album to her. Glad you are feeling better. :hug

shekinah
08-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the info. DH has been sick, was just starting to get better, and now woke up today with half his face paralyzed. The hospital told him, "It's Bell's Palsy. Go home and look it up on the internet." How very helpful, lol. He also has the cold sore strain of herpes, so I suggested him to get some L-lysine, and he's going to try and get an acupuncture appointment next week. Just wanted to thank you for writing this.. really interesting, makes sense.

mipennsn
08-31-2012, 09:22 PM
For those struggling with large Lysine pills, Amazon sells Lysine in capsule form Source Naturals. Dh takes those to help with his CFS.

lalaithnil
09-01-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, Missina. It's definitely one of the hardest things I've gone through. :pray4
I've recently learned there's also a connection with Lyme disease, so please keep that in mind, as steroids are a terrible idea if it is Lyme.