PDA

View Full Version : Roman blind questions...

RiverRock
03-09-2012, 01:22 PM
So I found a fabric that will be the inspiration for my art studio and I want to make roman blinds. Has anybody made their own roman blinds and can offer me suggestions? I originally thought I would make them to sit outside of the window casing and use a curtain rod, but most of the images I've seen show them inside the casing which might need a different mounting mechanism. :think I'm hoping I can get whatever I need at local places like Fabricland, Home Depot and Ikea. The fabric is this one from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40221801/ There are four windows that are about 2ft wide by 5ft high, and another that is about 4ft wide by 2ft high. It's prone to dust/dirt and "fly business" because we are in the country so removable for washing is probably best.

Marrae
03-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Ooooh! I like that fabric. :tu

Some of my roman blinds are inside the window casing and some outside. They are not easily removable though. The slat of wood along the top is fabric covered and screwed directly either onto the 'ceiling' of the casing for those fitted inside or the wall above for those outside.

RiverRock
03-09-2012, 01:52 PM
I probably would never remove them :blush...at least not before they were faded and needing to be replaced.

A fabric covered piece of wood sounds good. I'm imagining an L-shaped bracket to mount the wooden piece. Is that what you have? Did you sew your own blinds?

Marrae, I think it's neat that you replied first, because many, if not all, of the links to pre-made blinds that I've been looking at are from the UK. :) They must be more common there than here.

Amber
03-09-2012, 02:06 PM
I used this website (http://www.make-roman-shades.com/) to make a custom pattern to sew my own roman shades. I think it cost around $3 to get the custom pattern from them, you can also buy the hardware from their site if you want to.

Marrae
03-09-2012, 02:30 PM
I had mine made for me locally but I could explain how it is done, if you wish.

AFA attaching to the wall - the blind fabric and lining are wrapped completely round the wooden slat and stitched at the ends. Then we screwed through the fabric and wood right onto the wall above the window with the blind coming over the top so that you don't see the screws. So when you are putting it up, you are working underneath the blind with the blind going upwards towards the ceiling. Then when you have the screws in you let the blind down over the top so that the blind is smooth with neither the headrail or the screw fittings visible. I can take a picture if you want. :)

RiverRock
03-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks, Marrae, your description seems to make sense. I appreciate the offer of photos, but it's not necessary unless you are a techno whiz and have loads of free time.

Amber, I've seen free diy instructions so I think I would rather use those...and hopefully find hardware locally. I'm not a very good internet shopper...I like to see and touch what I purchase. Thanks for the link, though. I'll try to glean a little more info from that site.