PDA

View Full Version : Spring Canning Plans

kklibrarian
03-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Today I prepped the peppers for pepper jelly. :yum

I also bought a flat of strawberries and am hulling them to can. I usually do preserves only, but I think this time I'm going to put some up in a light syrup just to serve over pancakes and make pies with.

I'm not certain about the rest of my plans, but I usually put up several jars of peach butter and I'm wanting to do a salsa this year since we eat so much of it.

I'd also like to put up a couple of messes of field peas.

I :heart canning! :)

Macky
03-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Where do you live? We just had a blizzard yesterday.

ArmsOfLove
03-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I will be learning to can finally this spring :jump2 So very excited!

Marzipan
03-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Oh, how I miss the strawberries. :heart

Earthylady
03-07-2012, 09:39 PM
I too was thinking "where does this person live!?" We just got the last of the snow melted off today and everything is BROWN and muddy. will be for at least another month and we don't get strawberries here til June.

kklibrarian
03-08-2012, 05:18 AM
I live in Central Louisiana. We've had an incredibly mild winter. The Louisiana strawberries are almost done with their harvest. They sell them by the flat on the sides of roads here. Peppers are coming in from Mexico. I normally wait for local peppers which will start in May, but I'm totally out of pepper jelly and my mama and aunt depend on me to make it for them. ;)

Macky
03-08-2012, 08:10 AM
If you've got local strawberries growing, you shouldn't be allowed to call that winter, mild or otherwise. :no

swimming with sharks
03-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Stopped doing strawberries when dd was declared allergic to them. :( Blueberries and Blackberries are right around the corner though and I'm ALWAYS shocked that it's almost that time! I'm pretty impressed that I put enough tomatoes away to last MOST of the winter. I think because it was so mild I didn't make a lot of COLD weather dishes this year. I've been doing batches of lemon curd... :yum I always worry that it says if it's canned longer than 3 mths it gets dark and shouldn't be eaten. It's hard for me to not go through a half pint a week. :yes:giggle 3 months is FAR from possible! :doh:shifty

Blue Savannah
03-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Last night I used some fresh chives that I painstakingly grew in a repurposed mini fridge inside my cold frame. It was a proud moment.

I don't want to hear about strawberry season being almost over. :snooty :giggle

How nice to get a jump start on your canning.

Ajani
03-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Today I prepped the peppers for pepper jelly. :yum

I also bought a flat of strawberries and am hulling them to can. I usually do preserves only, but I think this time I'm going to put some up in a light syrup just to serve over pancakes and make pies with.

I'm not certain about the rest of my plans, but I usually put up several jars of peach butter and I'm wanting to do a salsa this year since we eat so much of it.

I'd also like to put up a couple of messes of field peas.

I :heart canning! :)

Um, that's SUMMER canning. :snooty

:giggle