PDA

View Full Version : Recommend an air purifier (or other option) to me...

Lady TS
03-02-2012, 07:23 AM
With the water running through the house....and the lovely excitement of the last few days....dh is finally convinced/on board that we should get some sort of air purifier for the house, especially since we get periodic water in the basement and I have mold allergies.

Right now, there is a commercial dehumidifier running in the worst room, and soon it will be moved to the other room....fans going as well... so we are doing what we can to take care of the wetness in the main house.:yes

Dh thinks we should get an ionic air purifier, but I think I have read that those can be a bad idea. I am the one home most of the time, so I will be affected the most (and am affected the most by the water-in-the-basement issue as well...and am being affected by the dampness right now...).

It's an old farmhouse, two-story. No a/c in summer.

Ideas?
I'd usually Google, but am still dealing with the fallout...

eta: and moving isn't an option at this time, though I/we have certainly thought about it!

sweetpeasmommy
03-03-2012, 10:37 PM
We use this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N9CPQK/ref=pe_75220_22926000_pe_epc_dt1 I think it helps some. Try a homeopathic mold remedy. That helps even more.

Chaos Coordinator
03-03-2012, 11:04 PM
We use a salt lamp for dust allergies. It might help, but in your case I would not rely on that alone.

LilacPhoenix
03-04-2012, 08:35 AM
If you get an air purifier with a filter, make sure it's a HEPA! Our old purifiers have replaceable filters. They're expensive and are no longer carried in stores (but are available online). Our newer ones still use carbon prefilters that have to be replaced (widely available and fairly cheap) but the HEPA's are permanent:) I'd rather take the filters outside and clean them than have to replace them each time!

mamacat
03-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Im assuming the commercial dehimidifier belongs to a company? I would invest in a couple of dehimidifiers that you can run - maybe one in basement fulltime and the other to move arund the house.That will take care of mold issues even better than a filte thos that may be helpful too

Lady TS
03-04-2012, 06:48 PM
We use a salt lamp for dust allergies. It might help, but in your case I would not rely on that alone.
I have salt lamps in 3 rooms of the house and I think they work beautifully for indoor allergies....though not for something of the caliber of this last week's deluge. :yes
I might consider getting a few more....just because...

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Im assuming the commercial dehimidifier belongs to a company? I would invest in a couple of dehimidifiers that you can run - maybe one in basement fulltime and the other to move arund the house.That will take care of mold issues even better than a filte thos that may be helpful too
Yes, the commercial dehumidifier is on loan to use in the rooms most affected by the water...it will be leaving in the next day or so...

I think a dehumidifier is the way to go in the basement for sure...need to get one with a hose that we can drain out, rather than always forgetting to go down there and empty the thing and it not doing the job when I forget....:shifty

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

If you get an air purifier with a filter, make sure it's a HEPA! Our old purifiers have replaceable filters. They're expensive and are no longer carried in stores (but are available online). Our newer ones still use carbon prefilters that have to be replaced (widely available and fairly cheap) but the HEPA's are permanent:) I'd rather take the filters outside and clean them than have to replace them each time!

Good to know! I go HEPA for vacuum cleaners...only makes sense to do the same w/air purifiers and such....was looking a bit online a few days ago and remember thinking about the nightmare of not being able to find the proper filter as time went on...