PDA

View Full Version : changing patterns to make them your own

ArmsOfLove
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
I've been enjoying this lately and thought it might be fun to discuss. I'm curious what you tend to change first? What changes do you find yourself making in every pattern you rework?

I've finding a lot of the time I have to adjust sizing because whatever I'm told it should be is just not realistic :think But I love playing around with what stitches are used and how lines are or aren't repeated.

I fly fast and free when making a pattern so I usually start with writing down what I find myself actually doing :giggle

anyone else?

forty-two
02-29-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't think I've done a single pattern as written :think - I even modified my very first project ever :giggle. My first knitting project ended up being adapted to crochet :lol.

I prefer recipes to patterns anyway - here's the basic components, here's how they fit together, now go forth and create :rockon. I learned to crochet socks that way :yes.

allisonintx
02-29-2012, 02:26 PM
When knitting flat, i prefer to knit the first stitch of every row through the back loop and slip the last stitch of every row purlwise because it makes such a nice clean edge....so much nicer than the way a standard garter edge looks, and it makes seaming, or picking up stitches, a breeze.

ArmsOfLove
02-29-2012, 02:40 PM
When knitting flat, i prefer to knit the first stitch of every row through the back loop and slip the last stitch of every row purlwise because it makes such a nice clean edge....so much nicer than the way a standard garter edge looks, and it makes seaming, or picking up stitches, a breeze.
ooohhh I have to try that :)

Marielle
02-29-2012, 08:02 PM
I have to agree with sizing. The whole point of making your own is to customize and cowls the scale of hats or wraps that look more like scarves look cheap/chintzy and like one is buying in the juniors bargain bin. So now I buy extra yarn for most items but in obscene amounts.