PDA

View Full Version : How to calm down a male cat after surgery?

OrangeHope
02-28-2012, 09:06 PM
My kitty Jasper is 5 months old and we just got him fixed today (yay!). We were told to help keep him calm; no cat toys, no playing, picking him up or jumping and encourage him to rest...but how? :scratch

I took his toys away and put a comfy blanket next to me for him to rest and try to encourage him to rest but he won't...he wants to play, jump and acts as if nothing happened.

He's also pretty hungry and I was told to only give him a tbsp of cat food today, I ended up feeding him a bit more cause he was crying for food and very restless but he's still hungry and I won't give him anymore till tomorrow morning.

Is there something I can do to help calm him down? or am I just too worried about him and leave him be?

LadybugSam
02-28-2012, 09:09 PM
i had the same trouble when i got my male fixed. I planned on keeping him in his kennel for a while but he started panicking in there so i had to let him out. i don't have much to tell you except he managed not to hurt himself :shrug

OrangeHope
02-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks! I'm guessing nothing really hurts him much if he's this active and playful...he did manage to go #2 on the kitchen floor right next to his food bowls :-/ so I figured since our apartment is so tiny the only safe room for him to be in right now is the bathroom where his litter box is, so I put him in there with his water and a nice comfy towel...I'm hoping he'll do better in there..

itzj
02-28-2012, 09:24 PM
I have a hard time keeping them calm. With males I mostly try to minimize jumping. I try harder for females because it's a bigger deal.

Macky
02-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Yeah... good luck with that. ;)

Our boys have never kept quiet after their surgeries and they've always been fine, even the strays that have gone back outside within a day of being nipped. As long as he's not getting into wrestling matches with other cats or wandering long distances out in the brush and getting dirty, he'll do fine. A tiny apartment is perfect for recovering kitties. :)

Amber
02-28-2012, 11:29 PM
I would keep him in a smallish room and limit playing for a few days.